IM profile and dual extruder - temperature behaviour

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
pieri70

IM profile and dual extruder - temperature behaviour

Postby pieri70 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Hello
I'm new to IM, coming from S3D which made me crazy with the correct start gcode / temperature settings for two extruders
Let's say I'm lazy and I like to have a single profile for a given filament and use it to print with left extruder or with right extruder not at the same time.
The nice thing in S3D is the automatic setup of all the features (infill/support shells etc.) assigned to the extruder I want to use. Then it makes a mess with temperatures of hotends. But it heat the bed before the extruders if no temperature setting is found in the start gcode.
In IM I see I must create a different template if I want to print with T0 or with T1 because If I choose to print with left extruder (T0, T1 temperature set to zero) I must manually assign all features to left extruder and with "insert heatup GCode automatically in start Gcode" I get a start gcode like this

Code: Select all

M92 E450.00000
M221 T0 S101.00
M140 S80.00
M104 T0 S235.00
M109 T0 S235.00
T0
M190 S80.00
M1001
;LAYER:0
;Z:0.200

Here T0 heatup is triggered as soon as the bed starts to heat.. It could take more than 10 minutes to reach temperature and my filament could burn into the nozzle...
IMO M190 should be inserted after M140 and then M104 T0/M109 T0..

Or I must create my own heatup sequence in start gcode and uncheck "insert heatup GCode automatically in start Gcode"

M140 S{temperature_heatbed}
M190 S{temperature_heatbed}
M104 S{temperature_extruder1} T0
M109 S{temperature_extruder1} T0
G28 ; Autohome
G29 ; Autolevel
Purge sequence

Right?

If I want to print with right extruder I must manually set all features to right extruder AND use a start gcode like this

M140 S{temperature_heatbed}
M190 S{temperature_heatbed}
M104 S{temperature_extruder2} T1
M109 S{temperature_extruder2} T1
G28 ; Autohome
G29 ; Autolevel
T1
Purge sequence

Because T1 is not automatically selected before purge sequence (as is for left extruder above)

So, it would be nice to have an option in GUI to choose if we want the heat bed to be completely hot before hot end heatup procedure.
I've seen another thread here on the forum about this "feature request".
And of course it would be wonderful if all parts of a given object could be assigned to left or right extruder automatically so there would be no need to create multiple templates..

Did I wrote any b.s.?

Thanks
Pietro

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: IM profile and dual extruder - temperature behaviour

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:34 pm

Want to double confirm with you about my understanding based on your writings.

You have listed two requests:
1. Editable Preheating sequence, so which can be set as heat heated bed first, then nozzles.
2. Currently only Support and Raft can chosen nozzle, all the other structures are based on which nozzle is printing this model. Do you mean you want to change the nozzle to print Support and Raft to be the same as the one which is printing this model?

pieri70

Postby pieri70 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:03 am

Hello Vicky
1) Usually it is better (at list for me) to heat up bed first completely and then nozzles. For example one of my printer bed is 420x420mm and takes 12 minutes to reach 100°C. Nozzle takes 2 minutes to reach 230°C. If you start the heating sequence for heated bed and nozzle at the same time, filament will remain 10 minutes coocking inside the nozzle waiting for bed heating.
So it would be nice that "insert heatup GCode automatically in start Gcode" will insert by default M140 Sxxx and M190 Sxxx at the beginning of the Preheating sequence (heat bed and wait for set temperature), or create a check control in cooling GUI tab to choose if a user wants this sequence to be inserted.
So yes first request is the possibility to heat bed first (completely) and then nozzle/nozzles.

2) then given the above and assuming I want to print in single extrusion mode with dual extruder, it would be nice to set automatically the extruder for each structure (shells, infill, support etc) based on the extruder I select to print.
Now shells, infill and dense support are set on extruder choice while normal support and platform adhesion (raft/skirt and brim) must be chosen manually if right or left.
This way if I set nozzle temperature in filament settings (override slicing settings in templates..) for a given filament and in main window I set left extruder then the left extruder is set for each structure and set at the temperature from filament settings.
The same if I decide to print with right extruder in main window for a given piece (set all structures to right extruder and take temperature from filament settings).
This way I can use a single template (let's say for PLA @50mm/s 25%infill) for left or right extruder print

Now I get this creating two templates, one for left and one for right, with custom start gcodes that are like below:

LEFT:

;Left start gcode
G21; set mm
G90; set absolute Positioning
M82; Set extruder to absolute mode
M107; fan off
M140 S{temperature_heatbed}; set bed temperature
M190 S{temperature_heatbed}; wait bed temperature
M104 S{temperature_extruder1} T0; set left extruder temperature
M109 S{temperature_extruder1} T0; wait left extruder temperature
T0; Select left extruder for print
G28 ; Autohome
G29 ; Autolevel
.....-

;Right start gcode
G21; set mm
G90; set absolute Positioning
M82; Set extruder to absolute mode
M107; fan off
M140 S{temperature_heatbed}; set bed temperature
M190 S{temperature_heatbed}; wait bed temperature
M104 S{temperature_extruder1} T1; set right extruder temperature
M109 S{temperature_extruder1} T1; wait right extruder temperature
T1; Select left extruder for print
G28 ; Autohome
G29 ; Autolevel
.....-

And in each template I must choose which extruder to use to print all structures in my piece.

Did I explane myself?

Thanks!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:04 am

I guess I should get fully understand.
Will share your thoughts with software team. If we get more doubts, will double confirm with you.

Return to “Software”