IM filament management

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
pjyarnall

IM filament management

Postby pjyarnall » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 pm

I really need to vent about filament management in IM. It is driving me crazy! I have created filament files for various nylon based filaments based on ABS filaments provided in IM by default. I created a Nylon group but for the life of me there seems to be no way to move filament templates around! No drag and drop, no copy and paste... nothing. I tried doing a "hack"... exporting a template file to my computer, then going to my new group to then "import" it back in, (a truly clunky way of accomplishing the task).

This instantly crashes IM. (Mac OSX 10.11.6). Support thinks this is a bug, but they don't have a Mac to replicate the issue on. (Seriously?!).

While I am at it the entire logic of template management and the left extruder centric approach to it is completely contrary to how I use my printer. I accept the smaller printable area of the right extruder, but otherwise I want easy control of the extruder/filament I wish to use for any given part. There are a dozen places tin the filament settings that have to be carefully checked to make sure the extruder of choice is specified or the splicer complains or the printer tries to use the wrong extruder.

When I finally get a filament template working properly for the right extruder, I can't put it into a group for that extruder! See above.

Am I missing something here? This is my first printer, but I have been immersed in technical software of all sorts for 30 years. This aspect of IM is exasperating!
Pro 2

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: IM filament management

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:40 am

Which version of ideaMaker you are currently using? As far as I known, we nearly should have some crash bugs but not sure whether they are the same as yours.
Have you ever tried Create or Duplicate buttons to create a new template based on old template? Do these buttons cause crash as well?

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi Vicky,

using IM ver 3.1.7.1850

Create or Duplicate do not cause a crash. I copied the crash report generated by Mac OSX and can send it to you if that is helpful... I don't see a way to attach it here.

I just spent another 15 minutes trying to deduce the logic in the filament management logic and left as frustrated as ever. There are numerous filament groups in the software, like 3mm PLA, and others. I can't get rid of them! They are not relevant to my printer and I hate the clutter! More importantly I can not figure out how to create a new filament group, for example "Nylon X", under either extruder, to which I want to copy in the multitude of filament templates that were created for Nylon X inside the ABS 1.75mm group. There is not way to copy - paste - move, etc existing filaments! Since the export - import "hack" doesn't work, I am stuck with a mess of disorganized filaments!

(When I contacted tech support, their answer was we don't have a Mac here so we can't duplicate the issue". Seriously? Go buy a used iMac! I am not the only Mac - Raise3D user.)

Some time back I did manage to create a new filament group for Taulman 910, but for the life of me I can't seem to recreate the process that I used to get it. Why is it so obtuse and difficult?!

This aspect of IM is in desperate need of rewrite.

I did manage to stumble into how to change the Printer nozzle size other than by way of the top screen dropdown menus. Else where I complained about finding that. It is still bewildering to me why only one nozzle size can be assigned. There are two extruders! I may (do) want to run a .6mm in one and a .4mm in the other. I should not have to go to printer settings to change that... it is easy to forget to do and another print is ruined.

Thanks for listening.
Pro 2

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:02 pm

We should have already debugged the crashing issue for MAC version, if you'd like to test the beta version with this fix, please PM me.
Currently all the default templates for default material cannot be deleted inside ideaMaker. We are planning to improve the templates management in future versions.
If you want to create new printing templates under some printer type for a new filament type, you can set filament and printer down and go there then duplicate from one of the current template.
The import and export under Filament Settings are newly added after version 3.1.7, they should can work properly.
If you want to print with two nozzles with different size, please edit extrusion width for nozzles under Extruder tab.

Return to “Software”