Config.xml edits overwritten

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
waynemccleve

Config.xml edits overwritten

Postby waynemccleve » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:41 pm

I'm attempting to do some Printer Type and Filament Type management through edits to the Config.xml file but noticed that the config file is overwritten with the previous version when IdeaMaker is opened. Even if I delete Config file IdeaMaker creates it again. Need a way to get me edits to "stick".

The back door process of editing the config.xml is the only way I have seen to remove unwanted Printer Types. I use my Rasie3D in my business and don't want employees to be able to switch printer type from my N2 Plus V2 type

Currently running IdeaMaker 3.1.7

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Config.xml edits overwritten

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:49 am

The default printing templates cannot be removed.
Do you mean that you only want to see N2 Plus under the printer list?

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 am

I would believe that is his desire. I have wanted to do the same but haven’t been successful. There are default templates for other printer and even 3.00mm filaments which our N2+ can never use. These just clutter the interface and confuse some of our users since they think they are valid options.

Being able to remove these extra profiles & templates would be very helpful.

Edit:

Just to be precise the items I would love to be able to remove are:

Printer Type:
    ideaPrinter F100
    ideaPrinter F100L
    ideaPrinter F1
    ideaPrinter F2
    Raise3D N1, Raise3D N2
    Raise3D N2 Plus
    Raise3D N1 - V2 Hot End
    Raise3D N2 - V2 Hot End
Filament:
    PLA 3mm
    ABS 3mm
Being able to remove (or at least edit the naming of) the other filaments would be nice too!
I just can't see why the 3mm options and ideaPrinter series printer are not removable since they haven't been sold for years.

waynemccleve

Postby waynemccleve » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Vicky and Alex,
Yes, that is what I am wanting to do - remove the <printer type> and <materials> that are not applicable to my N2 Plus to avoid their accidental use - and just to have things tidy.

I read on other posts about users saving a backup of the config.xml and then editing it to remove the unwanted information, but as I said, whenever I open IdeaMaker in reloads or over-writes the config.xml file and my changes are gone. I assume this is a new "feature" of IM since others have been able to change the file in the past.

Michael's 2016 post (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=535&p=5458&hilit=config.xml#p5458) explains how to make changes to the config.xml file but apparently there is somthing different between that older version of IM and the current version.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:53 pm

I believe that thread is only talking about custom filaments and not the program defaults. I assume at one time you couldn't delete custom options you made but now you can. I'd love to be able to edit/delete defaults too since many simple don't relate to our printer.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:11 am

I think they are asking for the possibility to hide or remove the printers and filaments which are not using in their daily printing.

Return to “Software”