How to place Support to fill an internal gap?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Mason Wheeler

How to place Support to fill an internal gap?

Postby Mason Wheeler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:24 am

I'm trying to print a full-sized helmet model. (ie. big enough to wear on my head.) I've placed Support in most of the places that will need it, but there's one area that has an internal window cut out to see out of. It will need Support under it, as the geometry at the top of the window is not a straight line, and trying to draw angles above empty air will never work:

But no matter what I do, I'm not able to place a support pillar on top of the bottom of the window to reach up to the top of it and support the model there. How do I do that?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: How to place Support to fill an internal gap?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:42 am

Is it possible to ask your stl file? The color of the model surfaces shown in your picture seem with wrong Mesh Orientation.

Mason Wheeler

Postby Mason Wheeler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:31 pm

OK, so I went into Repair -> Flip Mesh Orientation, and now I'm able to place support where it's needed. Thank you!

Mason Wheeler

Postby Mason Wheeler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Thank you so much! Suddenly the Create Auto Supports function works as expected!

On that note, there has *got* to be a better way to add manual support. The existing method is ridiculously tedious. What I'd really like to see is a way that you can click on a downward-facing triangle in the mesh, and have that entire triangle covered in the same support pattern that would be generated by Create Auto Supports.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:32 am

Good to know. Thanks for your update.

Return to “Software”