Retrieve Slicing Preferences after print

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Timon

Retrieve Slicing Preferences after print

Postby Timon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:27 am

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how I can retrieve the slicing information I used after I have printed a part. Let's say I printed the same part twice but with different slicing preferences. So far I am adding a new template, every time I try out something new, in ideaMaker, to ensure I still know what preferences I changed from print to print. My dream would be to recover this information from the .gcode file. Therefore I could look up a long time after, which settings I used on this print, without having to save a million slicing templates in ideaMaker. Rather I would have a library of .gcode files, which one has to save anyway. I am talking about ideally every information that is in the advanced section such as temperatures, layer height, print speed, retraction, ect. ect..

If anybody knows how to retrieve this information out of the .gcode file, or from somewhere else, or wants to share his/her strategy of saving the slicing preferences for further use, I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you for your support,
Timon

Casale8

Re: Retrieve Slicing Preferences after print

Postby Casale8 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 pm

I learned yesterday that if you import the .data file of the print into the ideamaker software it you the option to look at it.

http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9071
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Timon

Postby Timon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:16 pm

Thank you, Casale8,
would you know how to "import" .data files? If I go the "File" tab in the ideaMaker software, I can choose "open idea file...", which does obviously not do the job, and import "models", which only lets me select ".3mf", ".stl", and ".obj" files, but not ".data" files. Trying to open the ".data" file by right-clicking and selecting "open with" and choosing ideaMaker, does not cut it for me either. :(

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:11 am

OK, I'll agree that sometimes, there is some workflow that i find a pain in Ideamaker too.
Here is an example and it could be I'm doing it wrong, but here is a way to "get it done".

First, open any STL in ideamaker. To me this is the step that when I want to edit a profile, I feel I should not need to load an STL, but that's just how I found it to work.
Then you can click the slice button and that brings up the choose the profile settings selection.
start slicingjpg.jpg

Then you click the import button
open profile for import.jpg

Then select the file
open profile for import2.jpg

Then it will ask how and where you want to name this new template under the organization structure within ideamaker.
open profile for import3.jpg

Last, you now can use the imported profile for slicing
open profile for import4.jpg
Last edited by Jetguy on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:26 am

Hmm, found that "alternate" way to get to edit a profile without needing to have an STL file loaded. "Manage Templates" under the "Slice" menu.
Being dead honest, that naming and wording just did not ring true to me.
Manage Templates.jpg

It results in bringing you to this same screen.
open profile for import.jpg

Timon

Postby Timon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 am

This was a really thorough description. I appreciate it! :D Thank you

Daws

Postby Daws » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:44 am

This may not be overly intuitive but it is a really handy feature, thanks to all and thanks for the explanation Jetguy

Return to “Software”