Features - Membrane? Dual fill type?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
MDVolle

Features - Membrane? Dual fill type?

Postby MDVolle » Mon May 21, 2018 1:54 am

I am not in any great rush for either of these issues but being able to print a membrane at a specific layer would be really helpful for some parts - ideally it would have a number of layers selection, a flow rate and an infill type specifically for the membrane(s). being able to then have membranes at multiple points within a print would open up some really interesting opportunities.

That relates it part to my question about adding "dual" infill - a separate selection for top and bottom - we already have individual flow rates and number of layers but it could be useful to also select independent types of infill - I would use rectilinear for bottom layers and a concentric fill would work more neatly for the top layers.

While I am NOT out to "just cause trouble" because I already really like my printer and software, these issues might also be tied to and interwoven with where the infill pattern starts/centers within a part - I seem to only be able to get a completely aligned infill by moving my parts around on the build table until it sits as desired - or placing items exactly in the center of the build (only works with a single item being printed)

Having the ability to "anchor" or set a reference for the infill pattern would be really nice as a part of optimizing internal structure.

That might also lead to a later request for independent infill % above and below a membrane - so as a part changes volume, the internal structure could also be increased or diminished to suit the mechanical requirements.

This would add a whole (optional) level of complexity to slicing, but would also really change the game for lightweight or high strength parts.

I have done some of these things by essentially printing several parts on top of each other at the same time - so the top of one is fused with the bottom of the next but it requires segmenting the final parts into various pieces - which isn't ideal.

Thanks

Mark

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Features - Membrane? Dual fill type?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 22, 2018 7:14 am

Want to double confirm your request:
1. Customize the infill type of top and bottom solid layers.
2. Define the infill ratio under membrane layers?

The second one should can be achieved by Per-layer settings.

MDVolle

Postby MDVolle » Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Vicky,

1) yes - basically be able to choose from the existing types of top/bottom infill but able to select different types for top and bottom - this isn't a request for more or custom types, just the ability to select the top layers and bottom layers independently.

2) Maybe I have missed the per layer ability to have a solid layer within the part? Is that a g-code edit or a selectable feature?

3) the ability to "anchor" or otherwise control the position of the infill "map" - it seems like a "texture" that covers the entire possible build volume for all parts being sliced, no something that "restarts" for each part or can be positioned to center within each part?

Thanks!

Mark

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 23, 2018 11:46 am

1) Got it. So what you need to open one more option to choose infill type for top and bottom solid layers separately.
2) Attach some pictures for you to better understand.
3) A feature for you to define the where to apply different infill settings for different features on one model?

MDVolle

Postby MDVolle » Wed May 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Vicky,

2) If I cut a model, I end up with two models, "A" and "B" touching each other - simple - but now. if I want the whole assembly to have 4 bottom layers and 6 top layers, I will also end up with 10 solid layers in the middle where model "A" and "B" touch.

If I had a membrane tool, I could place a "membrane" just like placing a cut, except I could assign it to be "x" layers with "y" type infill and it wouldn't have any impact on the top and bottom layers for the model - it would just be a "membrane" within the model.

Placing a membrane like a cut would be great but it could even just be an "at layer #" function (this would obviously limit it to horizontal membranes and they would span the whole model)

Part two would be to have different percentages of infill (or even different types) on different sides of the membrane - below the membrane might be hex 35% and above might be cubic 15% - changing the weight and structure at the embrace line.

I fear that not very many users would be interested in some of this - I think it would mostly apply to very technical parts - but it might also lead to some interesting artistic applications.

3) If you have a (beautiful) honeycomb infill radiating out from the center of your part and the infill is a visible part of the model, I only seem to be able to have that happen if the model is moved around to find an exact location on the build plate - it isn't necessarily the center of the plate and the location is different each time you change the infill %

If I experiment with the position, I can find several locations where the hex pattern is again centered in the part.

Especially with cubic and hex infills, being able to center the pattern in the part would be really helpful

Thanks

Mark

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 24, 2018 2:13 pm

For 2), the current Per-layer settings in ideaMaker can help you to achieve your thought.
1.png
1.png (10.88 KiB) Viewed 182 times
3.png
2.png
2.png (10.6 KiB) Viewed 182 times
4.png
5.png

About 3), do you mean you want to define where to have honeycomb infill or just center the infill structure? Sorry, but not fully get your meaning.

MDVolle

Postby MDVolle » Thu May 24, 2018 9:26 pm

Vicky,

I will study the information you have posted - setting groups looks like ti can do much of what I am thinking!

The third item really is just centering the infill structure per model so that it appears symmetric to the model.

Thanks

Mark

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 25, 2018 10:50 am

Got your point. So you want to unify the infill structure of the multiple models to give them the same infill structures.

MDVolle

Postby MDVolle » Fri May 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Vicky,

I really didn't know what to expect from the "Community" for a 3D printer but I have to say it has been really fun to watch the product grow so much and adapt to include new features and capabilities. The capabilities and features have grown really significantly over the time I have had my N2+.

I guess I expected that this level of discussion was part of "normal" for the smaller machines and kits but it has been a really enjoyable part of having a Raise3D machine!

While I have other slicing software on my computer, I haven't used it for about 6 months, as Idea Maker has incorporated everything that I need as its grown -

Thanks!

Mark

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 29, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks for your comments. We do highly appreciate the voices from users. All these are helping us keeping improving our products.

Return to “Software”