Extruder switch gcode for Y-splitter (2-into-1 nozzle)

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
teikjoon

Extruder switch gcode for Y-splitter (2-into-1 nozzle)

Postby teikjoon » Thu May 03, 2018 11:14 am

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a Y-splitter, basically it has two extruders sharing a single nozzle.

Seems that for this to work, I basically have to retract filament when its not being used out of the shared filament channel (i.e. put it in its "rest" position) - this is done by retracting filament, say 20cm.

Most of the links I find on google use Cura or Slic3r, where they have distinct sections for "Extruder Start" and "Extruder End" Gcode - so the start gcode would advance filament 20cm, and end gcode would retract filament 20cm. This way only one filament is in the nozzle at any one time.

But I am unable to figure out how to do this in Ideamaker, as there is only a single "Extruder Switch Gcode" box, i.e. gcode that runs at the start of extruder switching...but where do I put the gcode that runs when that extruder is done? (i.e. before it switches to the other extruder/runs start Gcode for the next extruder)

Thanks in advance!

outwest34au

Re: Extruder switch gcode for Y-splitter (2-into-1 nozzle)

Postby outwest34au » Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 pm

I am also setting up a TL splitter and would like to know if you got this system working.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sat May 26, 2018 3:56 pm

"...would retract filament 20cm."

You want to retract by 8"? Wouldn't that leave a completely empty feed channel?

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Sat May 26, 2018 5:10 pm

Not sure if it would work for you but I think there are settings in ideaMaker for what you want to do.
If you go to edit your slicer settings, then go advanced, then the Gcode Tab, there is a "Extruder Switch Gcode" Tab. In there you can set several items including "extruder_switch_retraction _amount".
I have never done this as we have a single but it's there if you want to try it. However I'm not sure that you actually retract all the filament when switching on a y-head. I thought you just "pushed" the filament you want to use, since "mixing" was a feature of the y-nozzles(?).

Return to “Software”