Too much plastic at end of line

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
budi67

Too much plastic at end of line

Postby budi67 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Hello all

Sorry for my bad english
I have too much palstic at the end of line on solid layer
Can one modify it ? Last version of Ideamaker
Thanks

IMG_20180501_152205.jpg

Jetguy

Re: Too much plastic at end of line

Postby Jetguy » Tue May 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Enable coast in the slicing profile and tune it per your requirements.
Coast.jpg

Here is a general topic on coast http://www.3dprintingforum.us/viewtopic.php?t=642

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Tue May 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Maybe you could try adjusting the value of "coasting distance" under your extruder settings? That will stop extruding plastic shortly before coming to the end of each extrusion path.

budi67

Postby budi67 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks for your answer, but the "coasting distance" is not only for the retracation point ?

I have just try with 1mm and no change to the solid layer (red on photo) but only at the retraction point (yellow on photo)
retract.PNG

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue May 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Just being honest, coast is the amateur hour way of adjusting this, but if you are not willing to dive into custom firmware, that's about the only quick tool setting you have based on the OEM supplied firmware and software (Ideamaker) for the printer.

The reason why I say that so harshly is, you need to understand what coast does. In gcode, every single line of extrusion is just a segment and corresponding line of gcode. Infill like you are pointing out as the issue is just long side by side segments of extrusion. What coast does is breaks that segment into 2 parts, the original extrusing part, and then subtracts the distance you set in coast and makes a short non extruding segment that length selected for the coast setting. This results in every single line gcode being broken into 2 segments making your total gcode file 2X longer. But the far bigger problem is what you are trying to correct- nozzle pressure is NOT constant. The fundamental flaw here it at the start of a segment, you under extrude (volume of plastic put out compared to nozzle movement in XY) is not linear as the pressure ramps, and then you reach a steady point in the middle of the segment where it's spot on extrusion ratio, and then at the end, that built up pressure missing at the start of the segment, well it wants to squirt out as the nozzle is slowing down at the end. All coast does is again, break the segment into 2 parts, the first is perfectly normal extruding, the second is a short non extruding segment, but the nozzle is simply following the path before the next travel move to the new location. Coast does nothing for fine tuning the start of the line and is a crude and very basic way to handle the end of the segment. Also, it's completely non-linear. It's a sharp ON/OFF custoff, even though it really should be a custom ramp tuned for the end of the segment.

So there in lies the rub, the factory firmware does not have Linear Advance enabled in the firmware which is the much more advanced and proper way to deal with the well known issue of how nozzle extrusion of filament really happens. Your fellow community members have taken time to make custom firmware for the N series that includes pressure advance, but this is an relatively advanced topic that involves flashing custom firmware to the printer, and then tuning the values. Not to mention, a solid understanding of gcode, connections, the general hardware of this printer. Since there are a few topics, you probably should read them all if this is a route you choose to go down.
search.php?keywords=linear+advance&fid%5B0%5D=3

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue May 01, 2018 2:12 pm

OK, sorry, we are posting out of order.
#1 I don't use coast in Ideamaker, so i had not tested the result to see where it cut segments, but even in your preview, it's doing what I said, just not on the infill. I don't know how to fix that (force retractions on every single infill segment).
What I know and basically said is the theory of how coast should work (breaking the segment) and so in theory, other slicers use that setting on infill.

Which is why I said what I said, I'm not aware of any other magic options in ideamaker- maybe someone else knows a secret?

What I know is, there are 2 other ways of solving this:
#1 use a better slicer like Simplify 3D or some other slicer like Cura with better settings and options and better gcode.
#2 The firmware linear advance route.

budi67

Postby budi67 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:13 pm

Thank Jetguy, i will translate and read this.

budi67

Postby budi67 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:17 pm

I have too Simplify3D, I am going to compare by printing the same part

Return to “Software”