Brim missing

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
jon_bondy

Brim missing

Postby jon_bondy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:24 pm

I sliced an object with PLA in one extruder and BVOH in the other (for support). While there is a brim on the outside of the waste wall, there are no brims on either the PLA object or the BVOH support; I would like brims on everything (one print failed because one of the support towers broke loose).

Is this a misunderstanding about how to configure IdeaMaker on my part, or is this a bug?

jon_bondy

Re: Brim missing

Postby jon_bondy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:35 pm

When I switch from Wipe Wall to Wipe Tower, my brim comes back! So, it seems that this is a bug.

The brim is created for the support towers that are outside the print, but the support towers inside the print (think of a hemisphere) do not have brims. This is unfortunate. If we are trying to ensure adhesion, then the brims should be created for all of the support towers. I consider this also to be a bug.

Interestingly, the brims are all PLA: even the BVOH support has PLA brims.

Note that the brims for the support towers could be printed using the support material, not the PLA.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:05 am

Strange, it seems work for me.
May I have your gcode and data files?

·.png

n9ihx

Postby n9ihx » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi all

I noticed the same thing Vicky. If the object on the bottom of the bed has rounded or angled corners the brim will not completely surround it. The brim will only show up on the corners on one end. The beta software does the brims correctly now with larger amounts of brim by the way thanks. If the object has a flat bottom it works correctly for me.

Greg

n9ihx

Postby n9ihx » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Also I just noticed when I brought in two pieces in one gcode file and I split them to rotate one for better printing
when I sliced them before rotation both items had a brim completely around them but when I rotated one piece after slicing them it only put brim on the one corner of the rotated piece. That piece had a flat bottom to the platform before rotation and an angled bottom to the platform after rotation. seems anything rounded or tapered sitting on the platform causes this issue.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:38 pm

@Vicky: I assume that you want the files for the case where I asked for a brim but it was missing; do you also want the case where the brim is present? And do you need the slicing profiles?

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:04 pm

@Vicky: Let's see if these files are what you need (too large to attach)

http://www.jonbondy.com/ForVicky.ZIP

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks for your files. Got your point properly this time. Yes, if there has WipeWall around the mode, the current ideaMaker will only generate Brim around the outer ring which is the WipeWall. But the inner model structure will have no Brim.
We will take a look whether we can generate Brim structure also to the inner model without affecting the WipeWall outer.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:15 pm

Thanks so much! The brim on the wipe wall is not really useful if you're trying to get the actual underlying object to stick to the build plate!

Return to “Software”