Crash on Mac OSX 10.10.5

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
jwg3

Crash on Mac OSX 10.10.5

Postby jwg3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:29 am

IdeaMaker runs on a Mac Mini dual core under OSX 10.10.5, and has successfully sliced one of my own models, but when I try to slice a 3D Benchy model, IdeaMaker crashes with a stack dump complaint from the graphics subsystem (HD4000). This is repeatable. Other slicers, such as Cura have no issue slicing the Benchy on the same computer. Please advise.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Crash on Mac OSX 10.10.5

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:33 am

When did the crash happen? During preview or slicing or saving?
Would you like to share the detail information inside crash dump?

jwg3

Postby jwg3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 pm

Crash happens during the slicing process. Steps are: 1) launch IdeaMaker, 2) load benchy model, 3) slice, 4) crash.

I have just discovered that this crash happens when I do not select a template, and the crash happens every time. If I do select a template, it will slice most of the time without issue. It did crash once under this scenario.

Also, the benchy takes 30 seconds to load, during which time the whole computer is locked and unresponsive. Once loaded the system is released from the lock. IM, apparently, is not sharing the processor under certain circumstances.

Attached is the stack dump for the crash.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
crash-stack.rtfd.zip
(21.89 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:27 am

ideaMaker will only use two threads during loading model, one for display the other is for loading file.
So it is a little strange that it takes you 30 sec to load a small model, especially with a core i5. Maybe something wrong with GPU or OP.

jwg3

Postby jwg3 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:09 pm

There are other issues with IdeaMaker regarding the display, such as flickering title bar under certain circumstances (not nailed nail down what). These issues, and the above crash issue, do not occur with other slicer programs, or other graphics intensive applications. Regardless, I can use IdeaMaker for some purposes, e.g., varying temperature during a print, editable supports, etc., but it's not quite stable enough for everyday. It will be, I'm sure, and I greatly encourage its development. I like it a lot.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:01 am

For the flickering problem, if you meet it again, is it possible to share some screen shots or video with us?

Thomllama

Postby Thomllama » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm gunna go out on a limb and guess you "updated" the OS a few times over the years? Mac OS Sierra (and High Sierra) kinda changed the graphics engine to a slicker, lower power draw system (very much based on the iPad/Iphones from what I hear, which is actually a rather powerful/low use setup) It's possible it's not Ideamaker but the Legacy and modern graphics engine clicking against each other because you just did an "upgrade" some of the old stuff doesn't get wiped. Might be a pain, but you may want to back up, wipe the drive and re-install OSX - you can try just upgrading again to current 10.13.x. I went through this with a couple other Apps back awhile and after doing a complete clean out and reinstall everything was fine. Not only that I got back a boat load of hard drive space as a mess of apps and files I no longer wanted or needed didn't get re-installed. ;) When ever there is a major OS upgrade (Mac or PC for that matter) I now do a full back up and wipe then install, both systems I find work a boat load better when I do.

jwg3

Postby jwg3 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 pm

OSX version is in this post's title (10.10.5=Yosemite). Stable for a couple of years. ideaMaker is the only application with these issues. Will not be upgrading the OS for one program.

Vicky: When I get a spare moment, I'll make a little movie of the flickering behavior. Basically, iM is glitching the display buffer, which may collaterally splatter other parts of the screen, but going into the screen saver and back out clears the display glitches.

jwg3

Postby jwg3 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:40 pm

This issue is now moot, as I have finally (for other reasons) ungraded to macOS Sierra. Problems described above no longer exist. Thanks to all for your help.

Return to “Software”