IM & Nozzle Diameter - I must be stupid

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
zemlin

IM & Nozzle Diameter - I must be stupid

Postby zemlin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 pm

I generally avoid IM because I find the UI very disorganized and inefficient, but we're trying to use IM with the N2 at the day job.

One of the biggest annoyances comes when we want to run a different nozzle diameter.
If we don't want to hose all the settings under the current printer setup it seems logical to DUPLICATE the printer type and assign the new nozzle diameter.

The duplicated printer, however, doesn't open up with any default templates. It seems getting a starting point involves EXPORTING a template and IMPORTING it to the new printer, one template at a time. Doesn't it seem logical that DUPLICATE would DUPLICATE the templates as well? It seems absurd that getting a template from one printer to another involves EXPORTING to an external file!

I know I can just change the nozzle size and save the printer, but then all the templates we use need to be duplcated for the new nozzle diameter. I feel I must be making it harder than necessary, but I just don't see an efficient, logical way to maintain profiles.

How do you IM users manage templates/printer settings for multiple nozzle diameters?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: IM & Nozzle Diameter - I must be stupid

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:31 am

If you only want to change the nozzle diameter, you can create a new template and choose the template you want to copy from then edit the extrusion width. No need to export and import.
We are consider to develop a wizard for creating new printer slicing templates, which will include options for you to choose duplicate multiple templates at one time.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:23 pm

So is the nozzle diameter in the printer configuration just for show? The only significant variable is extrusion width?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:18 pm

zemlin wrote:So is the nozzle diameter in the printer configuration just for show? The only significant variable is extrusion width?

The answer to the above question is NO. Using the same extrusion width for a .4mm and .6mm nozzle diameter reports significantly different numbers for filament used and weight, with the .6mm slice being lighter weight.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:31 pm

although the weight estimate displayed on the touch screen is about the same - so who knows?!?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:44 am

Do you mean that the estimated filament cost shows different with one gcode file in preview in ideaMaker and on screen?
Would you like to share the .gcode and .data files which can show the difference with us to check?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Do you mean that the estimated filament cost shows different with one gcode file in preview in ideaMaker and on screen?
Would you like to share the .gcode and .data files which can show the difference with us to check?

That's what I was seeing last night, but I am unable to replicate it this morning. I don't know what I was doing differently. The Estimated Print Result dialog would show 8.0g of filament when I sliced with the .6mm nozzle and a .4mm extrusion width and 8.7g if I sliced with a .4mm nozzle with the .4mm. Weight estimates on the printer display were 8.7 on both files. Today I'm trying the same changes and getting the same results on both slices, so I'm afraid I have nothing to share to demonstrate what I was seeing. I went through all the layer heights I was testing last night and can't get the 8.0 result today.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:37 am

The priority of extrusion width is higher than nozzle diameter. If you meet the same problem in future, please keep the gcode and data files.
Thank you.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:02 pm

I often print with larger EW than nozzle diameter (from 0.5 to 0.75 mm on a 0.4 nozzle). Ideamaker always generates tool paths according to the EW, but you get a warning if you go to the extreme EW in relation to nozzle diameter. Nozzle diameter seems only to be a factor for "checking thin wall" and check for too wide EW, which builds up extreme pressure in the melting chamber.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:52 am

The checking thin wall value is 0.5mm by default. Not a value changes dynamically with extrusion width or nozzle diameter.

Return to “Software”