How to tweak off "needles from cactus"

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Tumphu

How to tweak off "needles from cactus"

Postby Tumphu » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi,

How to tweak off these weird artifacts / needles from print. STL file looks good, also tried automatic repair (even tho ideaMaker didnt complain anything).

Here's an STL i tried:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2684973

I scaled only Z-axle to 30mm height.
0,2mm layer, vase-mode, no supports, brim, "Check Thin Wall was on, 0,4mm (nozzle is 0,4mm) but no affect.

how STL looks in ideaMaker:
mapple_leaf_stl.png

How it looks when sliced:
mapple_leaf_sliced.png

Printed:
20180312_213536.jpg

Any hints?

Jetguy

Re: How to tweak off "needles from cactus"

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 pm

The hint is, use a different slicer. This bug has come up a few times and been seen before.
I'm being dead serious, it's not like there is this option turned on that says, "add extra points so my print has hairs".

There is some flaw in how vase mode works on some shapes and so right here is one example. You can wait for an updated version of Ideamker where there fix this or use a different slicer that supports vase mode and get probably better print quality.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:34 pm

I don't like that answer anymore than you do, but again, it's not the first time I saw the issue, it's obviously not fixed, it's not some setting.
Last edited by Jetguy on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Also, another tip here.
Vase ONLY works on a solid object. If the object is already hollow or "thin wall" then vase mode in most slicers does not work.
Again, an object like a cup will not properly vase mode. An object that is solid will vase mode. I know that seems opposite, but the logic here is, that vase mode is creating a single perimeter based on the skin of the manifold object. A hollowed object actually has 2 walls (hence wall thickness)- and so vase mode cannot decide and make a spiral single thread if it's trying to follow 2 walls.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Again, just to be clear here, we actually have 2 things going on.
#1 is that again, I have seen ideamaker make the very lines you see in preview and thus in the print on certain objects. You just have to use a different slicer. In this thread, we saw those errant toolpaths before viewtopic.php?t=1581
vase mode problem.jpg

#2 The other flaw not said here is you are not getting true vase mode on that style of STL. It doesn't matter what slicer software you use, vase mode slicing has strict requirements and that STL violates one of the basic rules, the object should be a closed top and no internal geometry. Here is a previous post with example STLs found on Thingiverse.
viewtopic.php?t=1581#p13462
These will slice correctly in VASE mode and do a proper single wall spiral because they are not hollow as an STL.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:570288/#files

This vase http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42570/#files has BOTH versions of the STL. One is hollow and that means that the designer took a second smaller STL, did a Boolean operation to subtract, and created an STL that has a shape that is hollow. In doing so, the slicer sees BOTH an inside and outside wall and thus must make a shell inside of that wall but again, that's 2 shells. You cannot spiral make 2 shells.

So if you want to spiral vase mode it, you MUST choose the non-hollow version and enable the slicer in spiral or vase mode.
Also, to prevent the top of the model from making a skin since it's how the cad looks, simply turn roof layers into 0 in your slicers so only the bottom floor is made.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:41 am

Tumphu wrote:Hi,

How to tweak off these weird artifacts / needles from print. STL file looks good, also tried automatic repair (even tho ideaMaker didnt complain anything).

Here's an STL i tried:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2684973

I scaled only Z-axle to 30mm height.
0,2mm layer, vase-mode, no supports, brim, "Check Thin Wall was on, 0,4mm (nozzle is 0,4mm) but no affect.

how STL looks in ideaMaker:
mapple_leaf_stl.png

How it looks when sliced:
mapple_leaf_sliced.png

Printed:
20180312_213536.jpg

Any hints?

Tried the "Check Thin Wall" option unchecked. The preview looks better.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:44 pm

JetGuy - are there any models you think made good Vase Mode candidates that arent ... vases? :) I have a vase and a bowl that i print in vase mode and love - but i was looking for other things to try and show to friends. I thought I saw a figurine like Pikachu somewhere, but cant locate it.

THese are some of my latest vasemode prints - sliced with idea maker

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Return to “Software”