Limitations of spiral/vase mode

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
jon_bondy

Limitations of spiral/vase mode

Postby jon_bondy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:14 pm

I have printed some things in spiral mode that came out wonderfully, but some have had defects. This is not a complaint about the printer or the slicer. When the surface is vertical, all is well, but as the surface tends towards horizontal, at some point the filament strands can no longer bridge the gaps. I Googled for discussions about this, but found none. Does anyone know how to calculate the angle above which a spiral print will fail? I was able to print a failed object by making it 1/2 size and printing with smaller layer heights. I hope that there is a way to ask IdeaMaker to generate support for surfaces past a certain angle, so that I can detect these problems before I print them.

jmp

Re: Limitations of spiral/vase mode

Postby jmp » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:29 pm

In my experience up to 45 degrees should be no problem, 45-60 usually OK, over 60 depends on filament, temperature, layer height and what not.

I believe you can specify at what angle you want supports in ideamaker, of course you can't use supports in spiral mode.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

ABH

Postby ABH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:44 pm

It depends a lot on the layer height. If you have 50% overlap with the previous layer, then you are safe. That requirement boils down to the relationsship between layer height and "maximum overhang angle" shown on the plot below. As you can see, for 0.2 mm layer height it is safe to use 45 deg. overhang. For 0.1 mm layer height it is safe to go to 65 deg. Often you can even go higher, depending on filament material, extrusion temperature etc.
Max Overhang Angle.png
Max Overhang Angle.png (3.96 KiB) Viewed 571 times

(The assumption is that you are using 0.4 mm nozzle diameter and extrusion width 0.4 mm)

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:26 pm

@AHB: thank you!

I have tried to find slicers that will highlight areas of models that will require support, but have had little luck. The Auto Support feature in IdeaMaker shows you where the support would go, but that does not help for the undersides of the tops of hollow structures. Does anyone know of a slicer that will highlight parts of the model with overhang angles above a user-specified value?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:46 pm

I recently ran a large vase-mode print that had enough overhang it had failed when running a 2:1 nozzle-layer ratio.
I ran it again with a 1mm nozzle and a 1.2mm extrusion. I use a .4mm layer. The 3:1 ratio worked real well. If the overhangs are more severe you could try 4:1 - basically what ABH posted above, but I used a big-ol' nozzle.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:01 pm

The Craftware slicer does what I want: it flags overhangs for both top and bottom layers when in vase/spiral mode. Seems like a great analysis tool.

Return to “Software”