how to change E-step value in simplify 3d

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Jab136

how to change E-step value in simplify 3d

Postby Jab136 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:12 pm

So, I just installed the bondtech dual extruder on my n2 plus, and it says to add a line to my gcode to change the E-step value, how do I do that in simplify 3d, the line is
M92 E415

I just don't know where to put it, I already changed it in settings on the touchscreen.

Jetguy

Re: how to change E-step value in simplify 3d

Postby Jetguy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:17 pm

You do not need to do it twice. Putting it in gcode was a workaround for previously NOT being able to put it in firmware. Now that the touchscreen supports the change, that's all you need to do.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:07 pm

btw ... i checked the value of E-Steps of my Bondtech DualDirect and found out, the number on my printer wasn't 415 as commonly suggested, i came out with 430.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Jetguy wrote:You do not need to do it twice. Putting it in gcode was a workaround for previously NOT being able to put it in firmware. Now that the touchscreen supports the change, that's all you need to do.

ok, thanks, is there any issue with doing both?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 pm

ok, thanks, is there any issue with doing both?

Yes and no. Yes you can do it. Yes, the gcode simply overrides the current setting from firmware.
No, don't recommend because say if you follow the advice and change to 430 VS 415, depending on the machine state, you get 2 different steps per mm.

Again, just understand, you can do whatever you want here but zero need or reason to do it twice. Doing it twice can then make the question of which is wrong at a later date or situation.

The logic here is the firmware and hardware work together. So loading and unloading filament, and other scripts on the LCD need a correct steps per mm in firmware. As stated, before the easy firmware change, we only had gcode or compile custom firmware before. Now that the hardware is doing what is expected, why on earth make another layer of logic override here by putting into gcode?
Again, if you need to tune that value of 415, then fine, change it in one place (the LCD) and walk away.

Return to “Software”