ideaMaker 3.1.0 Release Note

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Jetguy

Re: ideaMaker 3.1.0 Release Note

Postby Jetguy » Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Again, this is such a simple concept.
If you don't put any fan setpoints in the custom profile, it should NOT be adding automatic fan commands based on slowdown of a layer!!
The logic of fan speed settings are as following:
1. If the layer is not included in the Fan Control List, it will use the default fan speed.
2. When the real print time of the layer is lower than Minimal Layer Time, the print speed will be reduced and the fan speed will be increased.
3. Seems the layers you met problem with are all being reduced in printing speed, as the default inner shell should be printed with 40mm/s, but in your gcode files they are all lower than 40mm/s.
4. The fan speed will be between the speed value in Control List and Maximum Fan Speed. If the layer is not included in Control List, its fan speed will be between Default Fan Speed and Maximum Fan Speed.
5. If the Layer Print Time is too low which need to reduce Print Speed a lot, the Fan Speed will directly use the Maximum Fan Speed.

If you want to make this a proper feature, fine, call it automatic fan control and put a checkbox in the profile, explain it's function is documentation, and list it as a feature in proper release notes.

But don't backdoor the entire user base by adding a hidden feature and functionality that puts a bunch of gcode commands in gcode and NOT tell the user until they complain that this is a seriously broken system.

And what is again, completely just insane about this is, at what point was somebody going to explain this feature to users in documentation!!!!
Only after the poop hits the proverbial fan???

I still like your printer and your hardware, but I'm trying to figure out on what planet you guys are on as far as software release, version control, proper testing, proper documentation.

Alex M.

Re: ideaMaker 3.1.0 Release Note

Postby Alex M. » Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:The logic of fan speed settings are as following:
1. If the layer is not included in the Fan Control List, it will use the default fan speed.
2. When the real print time of the layer is lower than Minimal Layer Time, the print speed will be reduced and the fan speed will be increased.
3. Seems the layers you met problem with are all being reduced in printing speed, as the default inner shell should be printed with 40mm/s, but in your gcode files they are all lower than 40mm/s.
4. The fan speed will be between the speed value in Control List and Maximum Fan Speed. If the layer is not included in Control List, its fan speed will be between Default Fan Speed and Maximum Fan Speed.
5. If the Layer Print Time is too low which need to reduce Print Speed a lot, the Fan Speed will directly use the Maximum Fan Speed.

I have to say that I'm surprised to hear that this is a "feature" and not a bug. I still find it very interesting that ideaMaker versions 3.1.0.1545 & 3.1.6.1800 only inserted one fan change while version 3.1.7.1850 inserted several dozen and only it seems to be working as this "feature" has now been described. It would have been VERY nice to have this functionality documented before we stumbled onto it and thought it was a bug.

This lack of documentation or late documentation is precisely why we decided to purchase a N2 Plus model versus the new Pro2 model. There were just too many unknowns with the Pro2 that nobody seemed to have straight answers for. With the support of the community we felt we knew the potential issues with the N2 series and even though it wasn't perfect, it was a great value for a solid printer. However, after a 22 hour print failed over the weekend, I was pulled into a meeting with upper management discussing the problems we are having with our new printer, these undocumented "features" and whether it would be better for us to keep the printer or just eat the 25% restocking fee and simply return it. I was shocked that they are even considering returning the printer but I get it at the same time since this is eating a TON of my time.

Thank you for the information describing this "feature", with some testing I was able to stop the automatic fan adjustments by simply setting the "Minimum Layer Print Time" to 0.1 seconds. I have not printed anything this way so I'm not sure if this effects anything else but it did stop / remove the extra (unexpected) fan speed changes in the gcode. Hopefully this setting will not cause any other issues and I can get management to feel better about the printer.

Return to “Software”