ideaMaker 3.1.0 Release Note

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Jetguy

Re: ideaMaker 3.1.0 Release Note

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm derailing this topic and that was not my intent. The second part is the public reaction to my comments. Even for all the problems, flat out, the Raise 3D entire series, you are buying one heck of a piece of hardware and electronics. Raise3D still has the best LCD screen user interface, still has the easiest file transfer upload, and accepts straight and easy to follow gcode. I may not agree with every decision, I may not like every design choice, but they are still offering just so much more raw value to the customer than anyone else.

The issue here is, my relationship is strained from whatever recent events. It all started last year with my new N2 Plus when I discovered a change in production that they changed the motors. How tech support handled the extruder motor heat based on that change, and then more recently, the full analysis of the safety implications of the mainboard ribbon cable system to the extruder. Sadly, as you have pointed out, this kept them from sharing a single piece of info about the Pro2 series until you saw it announced in public. I personally feel as a product launch, this is pretty flawed in the announcement and the fact we had to play detailed question and answer period just to get some technical details. You'd think this entire thing would be handled differently.

At the end of the day, don't cancel your Pro2 order just because of a silly gcode issue. Yes, I've said harsh things, asked hard questions and showed my concerns. I still think the Pro2 specifically is a good model, there are advantages of the upgrades, the fact it's coming from the factory with warranty is a big deal. Most of my complaint is again simply around product launch, how some things seem to have been handled with respect to profiles and so forth. A software (Ideamaker) update could make much of this entire discussion moot.

Korni

Postby Korni » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Where does the promised translation (GUI) actually stay in German ???

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 am

Jetguy wrote:Mistake #1 exists currently pretty much in all default profiles, but did not impact users unless they specifically added a gcode controlled layer print fan or just so happened to have a single extruder version, and that has a factory installed layer print cooling fan. However, since the Pro2 does per the factory have installed gcode controlled layer cooling fans- failing to include code in the ending gcode of the profile means every print would leave them running for hours until the user starts a new print or manually turns them off via the LCD.
The fix is simple- add M107 to turn the layer cooling fan(s) off in the ending gcode of the profile, but shouldn't that have been caught in testing?? Again, this is a long standing problem and exists for all printers and has been around. Again, the far bigger problem is that without even owning a Pro2 in front of me, but knowing full well it specifically brags about new fan system, the default profiles lack a critical end of print- return the machine to safe idle state commands- oh like turning on the fan you turned on earlier.

As I mentioned, we have a N2+ Single extruder and I checked this operation today. I only have the default start and end gcodes (without an M107 code) but my unit does turn off the layer controlled cooling fan, however the extruder fan never seems to turn off. The layer controlled cooling fan turns on at layer 2 and turns off as soon as the print stops. Therefore I assume the LCD is providing some kind of command since it’s not in the gcode.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue May 01, 2018 7:59 am

The extruder cooling fan is wired to constant on ports on the extruder head breakout, that is normal expected operation for the N series.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks so much for Jetguy’s comments! We do appreciate every word from you as always!
We apologize for our negligence of not fully updating printing profiles for Pro2 series’ printer in the releaseof version 3.1.5. We have tried our best to fix the issue for new profiles and already updated the software to version 3.1.6. For more details, please check the release notes from this new thread for version 3.1.6:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7797

And please try new version 3.1.6 ideaMaker from the following link:
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/download

Besides, we have also fixed the controller fan issue mentioned by Jetguy in this new version.

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed May 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:

Good work! :)

The Software Update command in the Help menu in IdeaMaker doesn't report a new version available though.

Korni

Postby Korni » Wed May 02, 2018 7:16 pm

And again NO German translation :-(

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 03, 2018 2:21 am

Noren wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:

Good work! :)

The Software Update command in the Help menu in IdeaMaker doesn't report a new version available though.

We will open the notification of upgrade to all from server soon.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 03, 2018 8:18 am

Alex M. wrote:As I mentioned, we have a N2+ Single extruder and I checked this operation today. I only have the default start and end gcodes (without an M107 code) but my unit does turn off the layer controlled cooling fan, however the extruder fan never seems to turn off. The layer controlled cooling fan turns on at layer 2 and turns off as soon as the print stops. Therefore I assume the LCD is providing some kind of command since it’s not in the gcode.

May I ask your gcode and data files of your printing?
We tested on our single-extruder printer, the fan didn't stop after print completed.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu May 03, 2018 8:39 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:May I ask your gcode and data files of your printing?
We tested on our single-extruder printer, the fan didn't stop after print completed.

I just updated the printer with the newest Raise Touch and firmware versions last night. Therefore I setup a small file to print today just to make sure nothing has changed. I decided to make a video of the print job so that it's a clear as possible how it's operating (sorry in advance for the shaky video).

The printer did function exactly as before, the fan is off for the 1st layer, turns on at layer two and turns off when the print finishes and the printer begins to home. Previously we were on Raise Touch version 0.9.2.1026 and firmware version 1.1.1, while the print in the video was done with Raise Touch 0.9.7.1509, firmware 1.1.6-rev1 and ideaMaker 3.1.0.1545. With both setups the fan functions exactly the same.

I couldn't figure out how to attach the gcode file since the forum said it was an invalid format. I therefore added several files to a Dropbox share folder which you can access here.

The files include:
string_test_fast_pyramid.stl - original stl file printed
Cover Legs-export.bin - export of the slicer profile used to make the gcode
string_test_fast_pyramid.gcode - the gcode file printed
string_test_fast_pyramid.data - the data file accompanying the gcode file printed
Printing_string_test_fast_pyramid.MOV - short video of the gcode file being printed

Hope this helps!

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu May 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Interesting and trying to figure out how exactly that is generated. I understand why the firmware and reads it and works.

Just so that we are all on the same sheet of music, Raise 3D uses the M1001 command to mark the end of the starting gcode and M1002 to signal the start of the ending gcode.
Again, just to be clear, M1002 is the first line of the ending gcode.

So this snippet from the file you uploaded:
M106 S0
G1 F1200 E78.8791
G0 F6000 X145.607 Y152.292
G0 F1500 Z17.500
G92 E0
M1002
M104 T0 S0
M104 S0
M140 S0
G91
G1 E-1 F300
G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F9000.00
G28 X0 Y0
M84
G90

The key there is the last layer is turning off the fan, not any ending gcode. Also, let's just be clear, yes, M106 S0 turns the fan to 0 PWM, but that's logically different than M107 true off. I know I'm harping on that, but I feel from a proper gcode standpoint, we should do it correctly. Again, the thing is, you can specify a fan setting for a specific layer. However, you would need to know the total number of layers, to know the last layer, to set it to 0. The end gcode is totally void of any fan command to ensure the printer is shut down to a safe and known state. Just because it works, doesn't mean it's correct. I know some would argue that, but this is one of those things that just should be correct, even if redundant.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu May 03, 2018 10:20 pm

I just looked over the gcode for this print and the others. Each of them has the following code right before the "End GCode" which is shown in the profile.

Code: Select all

M106 S0
G1 F1200 E{code has a number in **.**** format}
G0 F6000 X{code has a number in ***.*** format} Y{code has a number in ***.*** format}
G0 F1500 Z{code has a number in **.*** format}
G92 E0
M1002
M104 T0 S0

I believe the M106 command is turning off the fan, and I must assume ideaMaker is adding it since I am not placing it into the gcode.

EDIT: Jetguy, I just saw your post, I think we were typing at the same time. Thanks for the explanation of the codes. I'm confused by how it's getting there too but it's in all my gcode files.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 04, 2018 9:07 am

We found out that in previous version of ideaMaker, the M106 S0 would be automatically added before End Code which is not in End Gcode script displayed in Advanced settings.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri May 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We found out that in previous version of ideaMaker, the M106 S0 would be automatically added before End Code which is not in End Gcode script displayed in Advanced settings.

I am confused by this statement. My prints were done with ideaMaker 3.1.0.1545 which as far as I could tell was the current version up until 5 days ago. On 4/29/18 there was 3.1.0.1762 and then on 5/2/18 there was 3.1.6.1800. When did this functionality change? Since you stated it didn’t turn off the fans on your single extruder testing, I’m not sure that I want to upgrade.
Release Notes would be very helpful to help us all understand the changes.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat May 05, 2018 5:29 pm

We have retested on several different single-extruder printers on our side one more time, the fans stopped in the end. And back to recheck the faulty one with wrong result, and found a mis-wiring fan on it.
We previous thought that we didn't add M106 S0 in the end code after Jetguy mentioned this, so that we added it into 3.1.6. And later, after testing, we found out it had already been added before End Code. So if only for M106 S0, there is no difference between 3.1.0 and 3.1.6. But there are some other upgrades in 3.1.6.
Attached the link of release note page for you: https://www.raise3d.com/pages/ideamaker-changelog
For more details you can also check this page: https://www.raise3d.com/blogs/news/ideamaker-3-1-6

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 pm

AnderssonJrdy wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
AnderssonJrdy wrote:First of I like to thanks for a great slicer! Really like the addition of new infill patterns in this version, especially the honeycomb was really welcome!

After the update i've printed 5 models so far. I'm using the fan control and the last row I put in is 55% at layer 3 but for some reason I get a raise to 100% fanspeed at a random layer later on. Once on layer 17 of 66, once on layer 47 of 69 and the other 3 models was all good. Any ideas why? I used the fan control in the same way on version 3.0.5 without having this problem.

The 5 are the same gcode or different gcode with the same setting profile?
If the same gcode file, may I ask the gcode and data files of this print to have a look?
If not the same gcode files, may I ask all the 5 ones with and without problem to confirm the difference?
Is it possible that anybody else changed fan speed on screen or via remote control during printing?

It's 5 different g-codes, sliced from 5 different models but with the same settings. It just put 100% fanspeed at a random layer in 2 of the g-codes. And no, nobody changed it as the printer was running. It's written in the code.
Where should I send the files?

Just discovered this issue as well. Has there been any progress in resolving this? I can see the problem still exists in Ver. 3.1.6 as well. :(

If you only need one level change, say start at 0 then go to 50%, just change the Max. Fan speed to 50% and you should be OK if the change is right at the beginning. However is you need to make multiple changes, you'll have to manually edit the gcode since ideaMaker keeps randomly inserting an incorrect change.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 11, 2018 2:03 am

Alex M. wrote:
Just discovered this issue as well. Has there been any progress in resolving this? I can see the problem still exists in Ver. 3.1.6 as well. :(

If you only need one level change, say start at 0 then go to 50%, just change the Max. Fan speed to 50% and you should be OK if the change is right at the beginning. However is you need to make multiple changes, you'll have to manually edit the gcode since ideaMaker keeps randomly inserting an incorrect change.

Do you mean you also meet the same fan speed being raised to 100% in random layer after you edit the fan speed to be lower value during slicing?
Please help confirm whether the layers fan speed raised are with very few features to print compared with other normal fan speed layers. As if the print time of that layer is shorter than Minimal Layer Print Time you set under Cooling tab. If the layer print time is too short, the fan speed will be forced to increase to ensure enough cooling.
Or share .gcode and .data files with us to check if possible.

If you want to change fan speed in some layers, you can try Fan Speed Control List.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri May 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi Vicky - Yes the fan speed randomly increases to 100% (or value of "Maximum Fan Speed") when I was controlling it to a lower value with the Fan Control by layer set in the Cooling tab of ideaMaker. I discovered this issue while I was doing temperature tests for a new PETG filament and was trying to run the part fan at 0% or off. In the middle of the print the fan came on and that's what got me looking into this.

I didn't have the original gode & data files using Ver. 3.1.0.1545 since I edited them to get them to work. But I did have the original files on Ver. 3.1.6.1800 and I remade the files in Ver. 3.1.0.1545 so you can see what is happening. I have uploaded the profile used, gcode data and data files here.

The ideaMaker Ver. 3.1.0.1545 files are:
iM_ver_3.1.0.1545_N2 Plus - PETG 240 Degrees - 50% Fan-export.bin
iM_ver_3.1.0.1545_Calibration.gcode
iM_ver_3.1.0.1545_Calibration.data

In this profile I left the default & maximum fan speeds at the original settings, then started with a fan speed of 0% on layer 1 and changed to 50% on layer 2. The gcode starts at 0% on layer 0, goes to 50% on layer 1 and then jumps to 100% at layer 6.

The ideaMaker Ver. 3.1.6.1800 files are:
N2 Plus - PETG Temp Tower 240-225 50% Fan-export.bin
PETG_240-225.gcode
PETG_240-225.data
Calibration.gcode
Calibration.data

In this profile I was playing with the settings to see what was happening and what things affected what actions in the generated gcode. The profile was as follows:
Default Fan Speed = 100% (This settings didn't seem to make much of a difference for this issue.)
Maximum Fan Speed = 99% (This setting was changed to see if the random jumps were to 100% or just the max setting.)
Layer 1 = 0%
Layer 2 = 50%
Layer 15 = 100% (This was done to see if a command would still be randomly inserted if it was already at or above max)
Layer 35 = 50% (This was done since the randomly inserted jump was normally about layer 30, so I wanted to see what occurred afterwards.)

In the PETG_240-225.gcode file I get:
Layer 0 - Fan = 0%
Layer 1 - Fan = 50%
Layer 14 - Fan = 100%
Layer 30 - Fan = 99% (Randomly inserted Fan speed change)
Layer 34 - Fan did NOT change back to 50%

In the Calibration.gcode file I get:
Layer 0 - Fan = 0%
Layer 1 - Fan = 50%
Layer 14 - Fan = 100%
Layer 34 - Fan = 50%
Layer 50 - Fan = 99% (Randomly inserted Fan speed change)

Therefore I concluded that the randomly inserted fan speed change seems gets set to the value of "Maximum Fan Speed". If you only have one change, say after layer one go to 50%, then you can just change the max setting and you'll be file. However if you want to vary the fan speed at multiple levels you'll have to manually check the gcode since ideaMaker can't be trusted to make the correct changes.

Hope this helps! I will email support as well.

UPDATED: I just checked the same two files from Ver. 3.1.6.1800 using 3.1.7.1850 and it seems things have become MUCH worst. I used the same profile as Ver. 3.1.6.1800 with the four fans speed changes and get the following:

In the Ver.3.1.7_PETG_240-225.gcode file I get:
Layer 0 - Fan = 0%
Layer 1 - Fan = 50%
Layer 14 - Fan = 100%
Layer 30 - Fan = 99% (Randomly inserted Fan speed change)
Layer 34 - Fan did NOT change back to 50%
Layer 41 - Fan = 97% (Randomly inserted Fan speed change)
Layer 42 - Fan = 95% (Randomly inserted Fan speed change)
Layer 44 - Fan = 92% (Randomly inserted Fan speed change)
Etc..... All in all there are 48 Randomly inserted Layer Fan speed changes and one commanded change that did not occur. :shock:

In the Ver.3.1.7_Calibration.gcode file I get:
Layer 0 - Fan = 0%
Layer 1 - Fan = 50%
Layer 14 - Fan = 100%
Layer 34 - Fan = 50%
Layer 50 - Fan = 63% (Randomly inserted Fan speed change)
Layer 56 - Fan = 64% (Randomly inserted Fan speed change)
Layer 57 - Fan = 68% (Randomly inserted Fan speed change)
Etc..... All in all there are 31 Randomly inserted Layer Fan speed changes. :shock:

So much for upgrading and hoping for a fix. :roll:

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun May 13, 2018 3:06 pm

The logic of fan speed settings are as following:
1. If the layer is not included in the Fan Control List, it will use the default fan speed.
2. When the real print time of the layer is lower than Minimal Layer Time, the print speed will be reduced and the fan speed will be increased.
3. Seems the layers you met problem with are all being reduced in printing speed, as the default inner shell should be printed with 40mm/s, but in your gcode files they are all lower than 40mm/s.
4. The fan speed will be between the speed value in Control List and Maximum Fan Speed. If the layer is not included in Control List, its fan speed will be between Default Fan Speed and Maximum Fan Speed.
5. If the Layer Print Time is too low which need to reduce Print Speed a lot, the Fan Speed will directly use the Maximum Fan Speed.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun May 13, 2018 9:11 pm

I'm just going to say it, while there might be good intentions behind this, this is the exact flawed logic we are talking about and why instead of fixing the simple problem of correcting a file template with prioper ending gcode, instead now, we have hidden actions, setting sthat don't work as expected, the list goes on and on.

Again, while these may have been meant to be "smart" fan controls, it's ripe disaster of unexpected actions and resulting nonsense in the gcode. EPIC FAIL HERE. I cannot stress enough, I don't know who thought this was a good idea and why it was not presented to users before being implemented, worse yet, only after we kick the tires do we get an explanation of this inner workings- nowhere in the release notes of a new fan feature.

Again, dear lord, how did we get from failing to add such a simple M107 in the ending gcode of every print profile to this is beyond me.

Return to “Software”