ideaMaker 3.1.0 Release Note

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: ideaMaker 3.1.0 Release Note

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:48 am

firesped wrote:was trying to setup a printer that has a 1.2mm nozzle. ideamaker would not let me enter a nozzle size bigger then 1.0mm

Which setting do you mean? I tried with Nozzle Diameter under Printer Settings and Extruder Width under Advanced, seem both doesn't have limit for this size.
1.png
1.png (8.28 KiB) Viewed 1666 times

2.png

firesped

Postby firesped » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:56 pm

I see I can change it now to higher amounts. when I dupilicated the printer, it was limited 1.0 mm max however.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:29 am

firesped wrote:I see I can change it now to higher amounts. when I dupilicated the printer, it was limited 1.0 mm max however.

Noted. We will open the limits of setting in future version.

Imrageth

Postby Imrageth » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:50 pm

I've been playing with the 'per layer' settings and I think there is a limitation which needs to be resolved.

If I set the slicer to change layer resolution at given height (increase it from 0.2 to 0.1mm), I need to be able to change the number of top/bottom layers but currently it's not possible. The slicer is using the default number (5 in my case) which is not that great for 0.1mm layer height.

Is it going to be added?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:24 am

Do you mean the software increase solid layer quantity automatically after user editing the layer thickness?

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Do you mean the software increase solid layer quantity automatically after user editing the layer thickness?

Yes, that's what was meant. I stumbled over the wohle thing myself. Printing at general 0.25 layer height, i gave the part 3 bottom and 3 top layers. Then i changed the layer height from z0 to Z5 down to 0.1. Guess what happened ... I didn't pay much attention towards the inner build of the part and just looked at the beautiful outside this created on the radii my part had.

When i saw the printed result, i felt stupid and had wrecked my print 6 hour with not thinking this through...

I think there should be a warning message come up when such things in "per layer" or "per group" settings are chosen. Just to remind me, that there could be an unusal outcome with these settings. I'm printing right now at 0.81 mm extrusion with out of my 0.4 nozzle and asked Ideamaker me if i wish to proceed with such settings when i hit the slice button ...

fischer99

Postby fischer99 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Are you going to be posting beta builds again? i'd love to test pre-release versions as they become available.

Thanks

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 am

Squenz wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Do you mean the software increase solid layer quantity automatically after user editing the layer thickness?

Yes, that's what was meant. I stumbled over the wohle thing myself. Printing at general 0.25 layer height, i gave the part 3 bottom and 3 top layers. Then i changed the layer height from z0 to Z5 down to 0.1. Guess what happened ... I didn't pay much attention towards the inner build of the part and just looked at the beautiful outside this created on the radii my part had.

When i saw the printed result, i felt stupid and had wrecked my print 6 hour with not thinking this through...

I think there should be a warning message come up when such things in "per layer" or "per group" settings are chosen. Just to remind me, that there could be an unusal outcome with these settings. I'm printing right now at 0.81 mm extrusion with out of my 0.4 nozzle and asked Ideamaker me if i wish to proceed with such settings when i hit the slice button ...

What about we open an option for choosing the unit for solid fill layers? Currently is counted by the quantity of layers, we can increase another option counted by mm.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 am

fischer99 wrote:Are you going to be posting beta builds again? i'd love to test pre-release versions as they become available.

Thanks

We have no plan to release beta version these days.
But anyway, thanks for your support.

PrintMate

Postby PrintMate » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am

Version 3.1.0.1545
When I make changes in the Start GCode tab of Ideamaker then after slicing this changes will not appears in the GCode file.
As far as I have tested this Start GCode is not used at all. It seems that ideamaker put his own Start GCode in the GCode file.
What can I do so the Start GCode I have changed will be in inserted in the GCode file instead of de GCode Ideamaker put its own GCode in it.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:57 am

PrintMate wrote:Version 3.1.0.1545
When I make changes in the Start GCode tab of Ideamaker then after slicing this changes will not appears in the GCode file.
As far as I have tested this Start GCode is not used at all. It seems that ideamaker put his own Start GCode in the GCode file.
What can I do so the Start GCode I have changed will be in inserted in the GCode file instead of de GCode Ideamaker put its own GCode in it.

Did you edit the Start GCode for both 1 and 2 extruder, or only edit for 2 extruder or 1 extruder but the real model is printed with single-nozzle (or dual-nozzle if you edited only 1 extruder Start GCode)?
1.png

harrygeier

Postby harrygeier » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:57 am

I still have issues with the calculation of BRIM or SKIRT circles. Sometimes it makes such small segments, that instead of ensuring constant flow , the brim/skirt creates blobs of material on the plate as the E distances calculated are far to small to get material out.
2018-03-04 08_55_54-NC Corrector.png

this is a ca. 5 mm diameter loop segment.

it does not do this in the model..only skirt/brim are wrong...
PLEASE correct this next time...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 am

harrygeier wrote:I still have issues with the calculation of BRIM or SKIRT circles. Sometimes it makes such small segments, that instead of ensuring constant flow , the brim/skirt creates blobs of material on the plate as the E distances calculated are far to small to get material out.
2018-03-04 08_55_54-NC Corrector.png

this is a ca. 5 mm diameter loop segment.

it does not do this in the model..only skirt/brim are wrong...
PLEASE correct this next time...

It is due to the newly developed Round Corner which will have curve lines. We will try to find a better calculation for this in next version.

Francisco munoz

Postby Francisco munoz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:26 pm

lorenolepi wrote:I'm a fan of the new infill and solid fill patterns. Thanks!

My download only came with 2 untill patterns is that all there is.

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:01 am

Good evening-

So when will support be added for the Pro2 series of machines. I know they will be shipping out soon and was wondering how one would use the Ideamaker slicer with no printer support. :)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:15 am

Kraken3d wrote:Good evening-

So when will support be added for the Pro2 series of machines. I know they will be shipping out soon and was wondering how one would use the Ideamaker slicer with no printer support. :)

The just released version of ideaMaker already has Pro2 series templates added. We will prepare and share more introductions of the new version very soon.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:39 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
Kraken3d wrote:Good evening-

The just released version of ideaMaker already has Pro2 series templates added. We will prepare and share more introductions of the new version very soon.

Ok, so I have to say in response to this, pretty upset to see Raise 3D making some rather silly mistakes in an official release for a new printer, and then further disappointed by the default speeds and supposed "tuning" in the Pro2 "Speed" default profiles in this latest release.

Mistake #1 exists currently pretty much in all default profiles, but did not impact users unless they specifically added a gcode controlled layer print fan or just so happened to have a single extruder version, and that has a factory installed layer print cooling fan. However, since the Pro2 does per the factory have installed gcode controlled layer cooling fans- failing to include code in the ending gcode of the profile means every print would leave them running for hours until the user starts a new print or manually turns them off via the LCD.
The fix is simple- add M107 to turn the layer cooling fan(s) off in the ending gcode of the profile, but shouldn't that have been caught in testing?? Again, this is a long standing problem and exists for all printers and has been around. Again, the far bigger problem is that without even owning a Pro2 in front of me, but knowing full well it specifically brags about new fan system, the default profiles lack a critical end of print- return the machine to safe idle state commands- oh like turning on the fan you turned on earlier.
Ending gcode script.jpg

Again, what I have issue with on top of that rather sad mistake, is it means more or less, you simply copied over previous N2 profiles mistakes and all. Further, we get into this claim "The final profiles for Pro2 series is still under tuning. By now, the estimated improvements on printing speed will be around 30%." from this discussion viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7107&p=28416&hilit=tuning#p28416 and then further detailed here in this reply viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7107&hilit=tuning&start=80#p28524

Screen shots of the latest Ideamaker version 3.1.5.1762 specifically adding printer support for Pro2 and Pro2 Plus with a Pro2 as machine type selected ad viewing the profiles- specifically looking at the "Speed" profile, it's near a carbon copy of a standard N2 non pro profile from speeds and pretty much every other general setting. So while 90mm/s infill speed looks fast, that was already the "Speed" profile for the existing N2- let alone this new "improved" series.
Pro2 Default profiles.jpg

Pro2 Speed Profile Layer tab.jpg

Pro2 Speed Profile Infill tab.jpg

All I'm getting at again, is that #1, OK, I found a mistake, not the end of the world, but makes you begin to question things and #2 further investigation into this 30% faster claim, and it's falling apart from the info I have in front of me at this time. Sorry If I have to rip into you like this, but again, I ask myself, why aren't other users who actually spent $4-$6K on this new series Raising these types of issues????
Either they don't know any better, or haven't looked- but they probably should.

Stanislav

Postby Stanislav » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:41 pm

I'm already seriously considering tomorrow to cancel my order for the pro
With respect to RAISE3D I think you need to send one test piece to Jetguy ,this is a person with serious knowledge and this will be of benefit to all users and for you, he sees things on the other side that few people think of looking at.
I use the printer for personal projects without a commercial purpose, and hardly people who want to trust your product would pay for it without guaranteed quality.
Stanislav

there is always a smarter man than you

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:29 am

So are you guys hearing issues with print quality on the new Pro2 or just wondering? I guess I am confused on where the issues are. Great post and information above from Jetguy- and he makes a good point. For the price point I would not expect there to be these issues and misinformation. I order the Pro2 but if we are playing song and dance here and there are "hidden issues" with machine quality and print quality I will also cancel mine before it ships. NO WAY would I expect a machine costing this much to have ANY print issues or quality issues.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:30 am

Jetguy wrote:All I'm getting at again, is that #1, OK, I found a mistake, not the end of the world, but makes you begin to question things and #2 further investigation into this 30% faster claim, and it's falling apart from the info I have in front of me at this time. Sorry If I have to rip into you like this, but again, I ask myself, why aren't other users who actually spent $4-$6K on this new series Raising these types of issues????
Either they don't know any better, or haven't looked- but they probably should.

First off, thank you Jetguy for your amazing posts! I think we probably would have gone with a different printer if it were not for your and others knowledge / posts on these forums.

We were originally looking for the Pro2 series but just received too many vague answers to what seemed like simple questions for a product shipping in a couple of weeks at that time. Those vague answers and talk about closed source firmware made it pretty clear that if we were going to consider a Raise3D printer it was going to be one which had its issues vetted by users like yourself, ABH, etc. In the end we went with the N2+ single, were also going to add the filament detector but again received vague information so we dropped it and just requested the thermal protector. Very glad we went that route! We do love our printer but do know that we will likely need to make some modifications in time. But knowing that, the reason for them and the exact modifications needed ahead of time were all part of our considerations.

Since we do have a single with the PWM part fan, I’ll check our operation but I’m fairly sure that the fan does turn off. The question is when? I.e. After the print stops or after we hit “done” on the touch screen. Depending on when a print ends, that could be a big difference leading to shorter fan life. We just had a two day print ending some time late Saturday night making it possible that we had a fan running unnecessarily for 34+ hours. So I’ll look into it and add the code if need. Thanks again.

P.S. Is there a thread somewhere of “known good profiles” for *** filament?

Return to “Software”