LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
JohnSays

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby JohnSays » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:09 am

I have been trying to get rid of some small zits on the surface on my prints. I was hoping Lin_Advance would do that. I ran the K-Factor Calibration Pattern and with the ABS, nozzle, layer height and extrusion multiplier I use, but I still have them there. I put M900 K20 in the startup script of S3D. I also made sure I didn't have "Coast" in use. Any ideas? These little pesky zits are the only abnormality on the print and getting rid of them would make a perfect 3D print.

IMG_8705.JPG

Before I installed ABH's 1.1.8 firmware, I tried various settings for Coast and Extra Restart Distance in S3D, but still could not get rid of them.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

socke

Postby socke » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:28 am

Is your Outline Direction set to 'Inside-Out' or 'Outside-In'? Generally, I'm getting cleaner results with 'Inside-Out'.
Attachments
outline.PNG

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:22 pm

Yes, that is set on mine too. Thanks socke
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

ABH

Postby ABH » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 pm

Don't know if it helps with your "zits", but M900 K20 seems low to me. For ABS I have been using K80.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:33 pm

ABH wrote:Don't know if it helps with your "zits", but M900 K20 seems low to me. For ABS I have been using K80.

Yeah, I noticed that. When I run the gcode for the K-Factor Calibration Pattern, anything below 20 or above 25 is a bit of a mess on my end. The bottom rung is the "0" and each rung up is +5. I spot 20 as the best there. I ended the print at 60 as I was rerunning the print and I had already seen that the higher numbers had gotten a lot worse fast.

Did your calibration look anything like mine? Also, could you tell me what settings you are using for ABS? Maybe I'm just way off on something.

IMG_8706.JPG

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg
- John

ABH

Postby ABH » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:16 pm

The calibration settings should correspond to the settings used for normal printing.
I am usually printing ABS at 235 C, 0.1 mm layer height, extrusion width = nozzle diam. = 0.4 mm.
I noticed you use 0.3 mm layer height, nozzle = 0.6 mm and extrusion width = 0.6 x 1.2 = 0.72 mm, so this is quite different to my normal printer settings and might be the reason for the difference.
Different brands of ABS might also require different settings, I guess. There is a reason to calibrate :-)
I agree that for your printer settings about K=20 seems to be best.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks for looking at this and getting back to me ABH.
- John

Return to “Software”