LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
ABH

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby ABH » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm

I have added the Raise3D Filament Monitor code to these compiled firmware versions:
http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6244&p=25627#p25627

and to the BLTOUCH firmware here (not compiled):
https://github.com/ABH10/Marlin-for-Raise3D-N-series/tree/1.1.x_Raise3D_BLTouch

I didn't do this in the first place, because it seemed to me, that the firmware would expect a normally closed (NC) type of switch, and the firmware would therefore only work with a switch connected.
I was wrong, the Filament Monitor code (in its defualt configuration) expects a normally open (NO) type of switch, so the firmware is universal, the same firmware can be used with the Filament Monitor or not.

jvingaard

Postby jvingaard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm

ABH wrote:I have added the Raise3D Filament Monitor code to these compiled firmware versions:

I didn't do this in the first place, because it seemed to me, that the firmware would expect a normally closed (NC) type of switch, and the firmware would therefore only work with a switch connected.
I was wrong, the Filament Monitor code (in its defualt configuration) expects a normally open (NO) type of switch, so the firmware is universal, the same firmware can be used with the Filament Monitor or not.

Many thanks. :)

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:05 pm

ABH wrote:I have added the Raise3D Filament Monitor code to these compiled firmware versions:

Thanks ABH!, Very much appriciated!
Now to either design a housing or pick up the set Jetguy linked and find a way to mount it to the machine.

Hey Jetguy, Do you have a design for holding those runout sensors on an N2+ Dual?

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 pm

Im having a hard time finding what was Changed to add the filament detection? I want to update my BL touch Firmware but I dont want to have to redo the entire firmware as I made a few changes and dont remember which ones were changed. I was hoping to just add the filament code to my uncompiled firmware so I dont have to make the other changes then recompile and apply to the printer.

ABH, can you let me know what you added or changed or can you make the changes to my firmware that Ive attached?

Thanks.
Attachments
Marlin_Raise3D_N2Plus_Dual_Bondtech_LinAdv_BLTouch.zip
Phife's Custom Firmware
(952.36 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

ABH

Postby ABH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 pm

@Phife:
I did it the other way around: I updated the files on GitHub with your changes to Configuration.h.
As you know, I am not using BLTouch myself, so the only reference I have is your use of the files.
The only change of yours that I didn't include was the E-step definition for DUAL Bondtech. You will have to set this to 2x 140 yourself:

Configuration.h, line 607:
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80, 200*16/4, 140, 476.5} /* E0 is Bondtech mini (direct drive), E1 is Bondtech QR (for bowden) */
set to:
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80, 200*16/4, 140, 140}

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 pm

@ABH,
Sorry, Im a little confused. So you are saying all I need to change on the Firmware available on your Github is to change the Steps for my Dual Bondtech? Did you just use my Configuration.h file?

I also changed my Z Probe Offset, and set Linear Advance to 50. I think I also setup a custom machine name. I dont really remember if I changed anything else. Do you think those are the only changes? Is there a way to compare my firmware to your latest release?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

ABH

Postby ABH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Yes, that's all you need to do.

Your CUSTOM_MACHINE_NAME was commented out, so I didn't include that.

LIN_ADVANCE_K was set to 0 in your Configuration_adv.h file.
I think this is how it should be, as you need to set it from g-code dependent on the filament type you are using.
I found that there's a big difference in the needed K factor. For PETG I'm using 110, for PLA I use 60.

Except for the E-step value, all your other changes are included in the Configuration.h on my GitHub.
You didn't have changes to other files.

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Do i have to edit and know all the settings of my printer to generate a correct gcode? (DADO-GIORNO_H.34_2A_VG_CASSETTI_SOSPESA_ASSIEME)

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Im new to the 3d printer and want to know if i have to edit and know all the setting (http://marlinfw.org/tools/lin_advance/k-factor.html) for a correct lin configuration?

ABH

Postby ABH » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 am

Yes, you need to enter all parameters in this script, but the parameters should be trivial when you know your printer, the type of filament, your nozzle temperature for this filament etc.
The LIN_ADVANCE feature doesn't make wonders, it's more a fine tuning if you want to squeeze the last bit of precision out of your printer. So, if you are new to 3D printing, maybe this is not an obvious place to start :-)

usagi

Postby usagi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:03 pm

getting these errors with the firmware from https://github.com/ABH10/Marlin-for-Rai ... 1.1.8.firm
Attachments
raise3d.png

usagi

Postby usagi » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 pm

looks like this firmware breaks PID autotuning / manual PID entry. https://github.com/ABH10/Marlin-for-Rai ... 1.1.8.firm

when using PID autotuning, temperature doesn't respond. and touchscreen UI locks up totally after you exit. if you try to use manual PID values, UI locks up totally when you enter a value.

i have to revert to official firmware for now.

ABH

Postby ABH » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:31 pm

PID autotune worked OK for me, but the temperature wasn't updated in the touch display. This was caused by the temperature reporting format from the motion controller wasn't updated (or rather downgraded to the old format that the touch computer expects).
I have now corrected this in the firmware files linked to here:
http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6244&start=20#p25627

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:20 pm

ABH wrote:PID autotune worked OK for me, but the temperature wasn't updated in the touch display. This was caused by the temperature reporting format from the motion controller wasn't updated (or rather downgraded to the old format that the touch computer expects).
I have now corrected this in the firmware files linked to here:
http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6244&start=20#p25627

Just want to say thanks for all the hard work and improvements you are making in firmware for the group.
I would love if Raise 3D worked with you on the new Pro series.

ABH

Postby ABH » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Just want to say thanks for all the hard work and improvements you are making in firmware for the group.
I would love if Raise 3D worked with you on the new Pro series.

You are very welcome.
My efforts is only a fraction of your great contributions to this forum :-)
I really enjoy LIN_ADVANCE myself, so I hope for Raise3D that they are using a more updated motion controller SW with LIN_ADVANCE in the pro series.

Noren

Postby Noren » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:20 pm

socke wrote:The thermal runaway protection seems to be not the only one problem: In a last act of despair, I completely disabled the thermal runaway protection (which was not that easy, thanks Marlin). But again, nothing happens after heating up everything - the print just doesn't start. Maybe touch screen communication?
For today I'm done. :(

Just want to mention that a broken ribbon cable from the extruded board also gives you these random errors. Might be worth to check.

FreedomRules

Postby FreedomRules » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:30 pm

Just curious if anyone has had an issue where it appears your way under extruding to the point its not even extruding at all. I've found when I go to unload and load filament that the bondtech motors are turning super slow. So far the resolve for me has been go in and change estep from 432 to something else then back to 432 and it resumes normal. With what I believe go be the latest 1.8 ABH firmware I still can't use PID autotune or manual tune as it locks when either applying the auto tune or when clicking OK on one of the values on manual tune. For that I roll back to OEM 1.6 firmware do PID then reapply 1.8 ABH from links on Page 2. Dual N2 Plus with dual direct BondTech Extruders. I'm not seeing anywhere on here that anyone else reported this so was curious if I has having hardware issue but I'd think it would represent itself in more than just the appearance of corrupted. The first time I ran this firmware trying out LIN_ADVANCE I didn't have these issues. Then I removed the firmware while I had started to try out different print heads. Know that I'm pressing forward I wanted to reimplement LIN_ADVANCE again. Any input would be appreciated...

arty

Postby arty » Sun May 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Just wanted to say thanks all, especially ABH. I now have this working with BL Touch on my N2.

FYI
-Stop is working in with and without Faststop.
-I used the K-factor Calibration Pattern but discarded the start and finish g-code and replaced with my own I created in Simplify3D.
-For my stock extruder setup with Z-ABS I ended up with K of 30

I ordered a cheapo filament sensor and am looking forward to enabling that in the firmware.

jmp

Postby jmp » Mon May 28, 2018 7:04 pm

I also wanted to throw my thanks in too. I had a print that did not work until I installed ABH version of the firmware to enable Linear advance. The points in the heart before the upgrade all fused together, afterwards it was perfect.

IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:55 am

FreedomRules wrote:Just curious if anyone has had an issue where it appears your way under extruding to the point its not even extruding at all. I've found when I go to unload and load filament that the bondtech motors are turning super slow. So far the resolve for me has been go in and change estep from 432 to something else then back to 432 and it resumes normal. With what I believe go be the latest 1.8 ABH firmware I still can't use PID autotune or manual tune as it locks when either applying the auto tune or when clicking OK on one of the values on manual tune. For that I roll back to OEM 1.6 firmware do PID then reapply 1.8 ABH from links on Page 2. Dual N2 Plus with dual direct BondTech Extruders. I'm not seeing anywhere on here that anyone else reported this so was curious if I has having hardware issue but I'd think it would represent itself in more than just the appearance of corrupted. The first time I ran this firmware trying out LIN_ADVANCE I didn't have these issues. Then I removed the firmware while I had started to try out different print heads. Know that I'm pressing forward I wanted to reimplement LIN_ADVANCE again. Any input would be appreciated...

I am having exactly the same problem using dual BondTec. The extruder move super slow on "Load" and then when I print, the filament barely comes out of the nozzle and so of course cannot print. When I reboot the printer, I get back my extrusion speed. Also, one of my N2s has started giving me the following error message since I installed 1.1.8ABH for dual N2:

IMG_8704.JPG

If I reboot, the message does not come back and long print jobs go along just fine. I have checked for loose wires and very recently replaced the ribbon cable to the printhead. I suppose it could be the ribbon cable again, but I have moved the print head all around by hand and pulled on all the wires a little to stress them and the error does not pop up. It only happens after a print using Lin_Advance.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

Return to “Software”