single layer walls in ideaMaker

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
harrisonaero

single layer walls in ideaMaker

Postby harrisonaero » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 pm

I've been doing a bunch of testing and think that ideaMaker doesn't play well with thin, one-layer, walls with a 0.8mm nozzle.

Version 3.0. Nozzle and extrusion width both set to 0.8mm. 100% solid fill. Not using vase mode. All STL creation done in Solidworks with highest resolution possible.

When I make a wall that is about 1.5mm or thicker it will slice it in two layers and it prints ok. Clean and neat and close to the correct width.

But anything modeled thinner than about 1.3mm overextrudes with terrible finish and far too thick of wall.

And I can't seem to get version 3.0 to create walls that are 1 extrusion width thick which is the whole point of what I'm trying to accomplish. As I can see in the preview it always goes over the same thin area twice and causes overextrusion.

Ideas here? How do I make it print one single wall with one single pass without using vase mode?

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: single layer walls in ideaMaker

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:06 am

Hi harrisonaero,

There was a post about this a while back but it comes down to this. The slicer needs to make all walls with an inner and outer wall or surface unless running with Vase mode on. In which it will choose the outer layer as the only layer.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

harrisonaero

Postby harrisonaero » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 am

Thank you for your reply. This is disappointing from an efficiency standpoint, takes twice as long for thin walls, but I can see why it might be this way from a programming standpoint.

But why doesn't it just extrude half as much for each of the two layers (run the extruder wheel at half the speed)? Its extruding up to twice as much as it should and way over-extruding until you get to about 2x the extrusion width. This seems like a bug that could easily be fixed.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 am

At the moment I am not sure if it is a bug or not, send us a support ticket with the part and we can take a look at it.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 am

A large size nozzle doesn't mean it can print any width of line below its size properly. Even with lower extrusion speed and rate, the final result will still be uneven. Imagine, the hole is 0.8mm width, and you want to pass 0.4mm width string, you can ensure that every time the string is out from the side section of that such big size hole.

Have you ever tested with wall thickness around 0.8mm, as large as nozzle diameter?

If the 0.8mm nozzle prints one shell, the wall thickness will be around 0.8mm.
If the 0.8mm nozzle prints two shells, the wall thickness will be around 1.6mm.
If the wall thickness is over 1.6mm, there will have two 0.8mm shell and some infill between these two shells.
That's why you find when wall thickness is over 1.5mm, the final result is correct.

When the thickness is between 0.8mm-1.6mm, there has not enough space for the 0.8mm nozzle to print two 0.8mm-wide lines, but too wide for 0.8mm nozzle to print only one 0.8mm-wide line. So you will see the incorrect result.

But around 0.8mm width print with one shell should be fine.

harrisonaero

Postby harrisonaero » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:48 pm

"But around 0.8mm width print with one shell should be fine."

The problem is that the software can't print one shell unless in vase mode.

If you guys really wanted to do this you could use a CNC CAM program that determines mid-lines (centerlines) for each layer of the STL and then program your paths to go from the center out. I use a CAM program for my CNC routers and it does a really nice job determining the middle of the surface for single line cuts.

If done correctly this could make very accurate and beautiful prints with much smoother outer surfaces because each layer could be idealized as far as width. You basically adjust the extrusion amount to vary the width of the print for each portion of the layer. Right now it's binary- you're stuck with an extrusion thickness.

If you wanted to take it to the next level you could make a variable diameter nozzle and then create both fine detail as well as speed for thick areas.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 am

We tested one circle with 0.8mm thick wall thickness, the preview looks no abnormal.
part1.STL
(23.52 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

May I ask your stl file to test?

Return to “Software”