ideaMaker 2.2.1 Release Note 2016.7.7 and User Manual

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Vicky@Raise3D

ideaMaker 2.2.1 Release Note 2016.7.7 and User Manual

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:53 am

Hi all,

We have released the ideaMaker 2.2.1 yesterday
Quick link: ideaMaker 2.2.1 https://www.raise3d.com/pages/download

NEW FEATURES

Added dense support
We’ve added a new support type which names as dense support. You can define how many layers to be dense in Advanced Settings -> Support and Raft -> Dense Support Layers when approaching the model surface to make it much easier to remove.

Added an option to print the outer shell or inner shell first
We’ve added an option that you can determine to print the outer shell first or the inner shell first. If you want to print the outer shell first, enable it in Advanced Settings -> Other -> Print External Shells First.

Added a feature to set global offset
We’ve added global offset feature in Advanced Settings -> Other ->Global Offset which can be set in X, Y or Z direction.

Added an option to avoid retraction inside
We’ve added an option to disable the retraction in infill and the inner area between shells and enabled it by default. If it is not necessary for you, you can disable it in Advanced Setting -> Ooze -> Avoid Retract Inside Models.

Added an option to enable the skirt
The skirt was automatically disabled when there is a Raft. Now you can enable it by choose Advanced Settings -> Layer -> Force Addition of Skirt even there is a Raft.

Added a feature to set the start point
We’ve added a feature in Advanced Settings -> Other -> Layer Start Point Type. Which means you can set the position of the layer starting point now.
Nearest refers to the optimal moving path of the print head.
Fixed refers to a customer position. If the customer position is not available in some layer, ideaMaker will find a closest position to instead.
Random refers to separate position.

Added a feature to lay the model flat via specified face
Select Model -> Lay Flat. Choose a face as floor and click Apply in operation property dialog.

Improved the scale to be relative
We’ve improved the zoom percentage to be relative scale.

Improved moving and scaling
We’ve improved the moving and scaling this time that you can select an arrow to define the direction for moving or scaling.

Fix a bug in checking models on platform
We’ve fixed “not on platform” bug this time.

Previous ideaMaker update log:
ideaMaker Release Notes.pdf
(312.43 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

User Manual:
Using ideaMaker 2.2.1.pdf
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 379 times
Last edited by Vicky@Raise3D on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

2CNK

Re: ideaMaker 2.2.1 Release Note 2016.7.7 and User Manual

Postby 2CNK » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Looks good! I look forward to trying some of these new features.

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:59 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
NEW FEATURES

[...]

Added an option to avoid retraction inside

Added a feature to set the start point

[...]

I have reported two issues recently. One that I was viewing too much retraction on a large infill path that leads to grinding of the filament and another (some weeks ago) that causes seams on a cylindric shape.

Are this new functions the related fixes for this?

If so for the retraction option could be noted that it can be used to prevent filament grinding / air printing and the other one is an extended (better) version of what is called random seam in other slicers. And finally this would let me do an update to this version.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:37 am

theRenegade wrote:I have reported two issues recently. One that I was viewing too much retraction on a large infill path that leads to grinding of the filament and another (some weeks ago) that causes seams on a cylindric shape.

Are this new functions the related fixes for this?

If so for the retraction option could be noted that it can be used to prevent filament grinding / air printing and the other one is an extended (better) version of what is called random seam in other slicers. And finally this would let me do an update to this version.

Yes. They are exactly what you are thinking.
Avoid the retraction inside will decrease the risking of air-printing. More retraction, more risk.
But if you choose the infill type as rectilinear, it will has little different when enable this feature.

In most cases, seam is due to the layer start position. Try random, it may help.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:18 pm

I miss the free movement option we had (for XY positioning) the way the new version uses the arrows and only one direction at a time does not feel natural to use.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:16 am

Feature request:
to switch from print inner shell first to print outer shell first at a specific height

reason: most organic models get wider at the base, so works best with printing inner shell first (eg think of the bottom of a ball)
BUT most organic models close up the top, so it is advantageous to print outer shell first for best tops overhang smoothness (eg the top of a ball)

lylewaters

Postby lylewaters » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:15 am

Zettlinger wrote:I miss the free movement option we had (for XY positioning) the way the new version uses the arrows and only one direction at a time does not feel natural to use.

Yeah, I second this. I loaded the new software today and found the new move controls difficult to use. I mean, it's not really intuitive that the arrows only point one way, I was wondering if there was some modifier key I needed to press to get it moving the other direction. Also, the blue and green arrows were right on top of each other in my model and I guess I grabbed the wrong one and instead of moving the object forward, I sent it beneath the z axis. It took me a second or two to realize that I dropped it below the printing surface. Then it was difficult to get it back on plane so I ended up just closing the project and opening it again.

For the past week or two, I've been trying to complete the same model (lots of parts and with various problems it has taken me a long time). Previous to all my problems, every model I printed was printed on a raft. That was a very positive experience for me with all of my models coming off the rafts very cleanly. The bug in 2.2.0 that would complain about objects not being on the surface or something resulted in models that would print without the raft even if raft was turned on. The only way to get the raft to print was to tell it to print the raft and supports and then the supports wouldn't print. That was a useless print for me too because the model was fused to the raft and impossible to remove. With the new software, I find that the raft feature works again as it used to with most other models. However, it now seems like the model is stuck to the raft way too much and it was very difficult to remove. I was able to get it off, but lots of the raft broke off and stuck to the model. This NEVER happened before this new software and I've printed about 50 items on rafts without a single problem like this. I'm going to keep trying and see if this happens all the time or not.

I also noticed that when I loaded the new version of ideaMaker 2.2.1, it seems like my default settings for the printer all reverted back to the original settings (normal N2 vs. N2 with V2 hotend). Just an observation.

firesped

Postby firesped » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:33 pm

using the dense support at 5 layers, I did some printing on a figure I had printed before. with the dense support, I was able to get detail in bottom surfaces print on support.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:44 am

lylewaters wrote: Also, the blue and green arrows were right on top of each other in my model and I guess I grabbed the wrong one and instead of moving the object forward, I sent it beneath the z axis. It took me a second or two to realize that I dropped it below the printing surface. Then it was difficult to get it back on plane so I ended up just closing the project and opening it again.

Mouse control, pressing Right can freely rotate the visual angle of the model which can show the three arrows more clearly

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:01 pm

ctrl-z will undo your last move if you accidentally dropped it below the plate.

I do hope free movement by mouse will be back in the new version though, so much easier to roughtly place it with the mouse then i finetune by numbers (i do not use the arrows at all to move, its is not handy)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:56 am

lylewaters wrote:
With the new software, I find that the raft feature works again as it used to with most other models. However, it now seems like the model is stuck to the raft way too much and it was very difficult to remove. I was able to get it off, but lots of the raft broke off and stuck to the model. This NEVER happened before this new software and I've printed about 50 items on rafts without a single problem like this. I'm going to keep trying and see if this happens all the time or not.

Not sure it is a software problem or hardware problem.
Do you have gcode sliced by old version software? We didn't make any changes of Raft this time. Try print them again, check whether the Raft still works well.
Or is it you change the Raft Gap setting before? Increase the Raft Gap from Model in Support and Raft tab can make it less sticky.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:58 am

lylewaters wrote:I also noticed that when I loaded the new version of ideaMaker 2.2.1, it seems like my default settings for the printer all reverted back to the original settings (normal N2 vs. N2 with V2 hotend). Just an observation.

Every time when you install a new ideaMaker, the default templates will back to origin. If you want to keep the custom setting, please establish a new template.

lylewaters

Postby lylewaters » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:01 am

Vicky,

I didn't make any changes to the raft gap settings. I don't think I am using gcode sliced by older version of the software either because the older version of the software kept giving the error of the model not being on the plate. Once I loaded the new software I added my models and sliced them again. I tried printing a few of the same model with rafts and they were all difficult to remove. Now I understand why people were so against printing with rafts in the first place. If it continues like this, then I will have to find a way to make sure my built plate is level and I will need to print without rafts. I really wish it could go back to how it was before. The models removed very nicely from the rafts and in fact my kids and I have kept all the rafts because they came apart so nicely that people thought the rafts were the actual things that I was trying to print.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:54 am

Dear Lyle,

We really didn't do have change in Raft generating in this version.
Can you find the Raft easy-peeled gcode now? Try print them again. If it can still be easily peeled off, please share the gcode before and after with us.

Return to “Software”