Pause at Height Simple Question

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Casale8

Pause at Height Simple Question

Postby Casale8 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:16 pm

This is a simple question.

I want to pause a print at a specific height to change filament (material change, not relevant to my question). If I set the height of the pause which is 1.27mm (.050") and the filament is printing at .25mm layer height - which should be at the end of layer 5 (per the preview) (tolerances acceptable), will the extruder/software/gcode actually pause the printer before printing the next layer 6?
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

EldRick

Re: Pause at Height Simple Question

Postby EldRick » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Perhaps you could experiment and let us know?

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:05 pm

@EldRick

First thing tomorrow morning I will start a print to do exactly that. Only a 5 hour print for amusement, but still...

Hopefully someone can answer before, but I will be in touch with my findings.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:35 am

It depends on how much layer height you set for the first layer. If you set the first layer height as 0.3mm, then it will come out as the following list.
0 0 0
0.3 1 0.3
0.25 2 0.55
0.25 3 0.8
0.25 4 1.05
0.25 5 1.3
0.25 6 1.55

When the Z height reaches to 1.05mm, the next Z movement code won't be sent out or it will over the set 1.27mm height.
Which means the pause code will be sent out after the 4th layer of the model complete printing.
Raft is not included, please note.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:It depends on how much layer height you set for the first layer. If you set the first layer height as 0.3mm, then it will come out as the following list.
0 0 0
0.3 1 0.3
0.25 2 0.55
0.25 3 0.8
0.25 4 1.05
0.25 5 1.3
0.25 6 1.55

When the Z height reaches to 1.05mm, the next Z movement code won't be sent out or it will over the set 1.27mm height.
Which means the pause code will be sent out after the 4th layer of the model complete printing.
Raft is not included, please note.

Noted!

I'll set it to pause at 1.3 as the first print stopped at layer 5 it needs to prior to 6.
-SCC

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:13 pm

I set it to 1.3 and it stopped prior to layer 5, which it shouldn't have. It should have stopped prior to layer 6.
How about adjusting the function from being just controlled by height, how about per layer? We can use the slice preview to be able to discern what layer the pause or stop should occur.
-SCC

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:42 am

The logic of the height to trigger the pause code is that the pause code will be sent out after the layer whose next layer is higher than or equal the set value completed. After the print reaches to Layer 5, the bed will drop to 1.3mm height from the origin position which reaches the same value as the set value. So the pause happens before printing Layer 5. After pause complete, the Z will drop then. You can check in the follow picture. (The Layer 4 in gcode is the actual Layer 5, since gcode counts the layer from 0.)
1.png

If you change the pause height to be 1.31mm, then the pause layer will be Layer 6.
2.png

For changing the per-height setting to be per-layer settings, we think per-height will be more useful. Since normally you know how high the feature you want to pause on the machine is when carrying out modeling but not which layer for 3D printing it is.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:36 pm

I will try that on my next print. - first thing in the morning.
-SCC

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:28 pm

AT 1.31 THE PAUSE FEATURE WORKED PERFECTLY!
-SCC

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:...
For changing the per-height setting to be per-layer settings, we think per-height will be more useful. Since normally you know how high the feature you want to pause on the machine is when carrying out modeling but not which layer for 3D printing it is.

I partially agree.

Finetuning your print often involves looking at the preview - where you have the layers displayed, not the height.
For instance I used this to put in a "WipeWall Disabled"-command after the print reached a height where the second material would not be used anymore. I could not determine which height that would be without the preview - so I did have the info after which layer I would like to trigger the command.
Another example:
Finetuning print resolution (layer height) for certain heights of the part.
This also is done best by looking at the preview and determining the layers from which it makes sense to go to higher/lower resolution.

I think it would be best if one could have both variants;-)

P.S.:
By the way, speaking about this part of IM - Groupd and Layer settings/Per-Model Extruder...
If somebody at R3D has some spare time, please click through all the options/dialogs and carefully watch
the dialogs. You may recognize that the dialog windows are somewhat inconsistent.
Sometimes the "OK"-button is on the right side, sometimes on the left;-)
Minor but annoying.
...there's nothing like the smell of fresh ABS in the morning...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 am

We can consider to add a height value in mm in preview page.

For the problem of "OK" button, are you using Mac? We will double check the MAC version.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We can consider to add a height value in mm in preview page.

I like this idea as well.
-SCC

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Yes, I am using IM on a Mac.

I must admit I forgot which dialog it was where the buttons were mixed.
If I see them again, I'll drop you a note.
...there's nothing like the smell of fresh ABS in the morning...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 am

Is that because you have installed different versions of ideaMaker in your computer? The position difference you have seen was in one version or in different versions?

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm

In the Z offset thread you stated:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:In my opinion, the nozzle distance is still a little too close.
The layer height of first two layers of Raft should be 0.5mm, the third interface layer should be 0.38mm, the next two surface layers shoould be 0.22mm.

Is this the case for all raft layers in the default templates? That's an overall Default Raft height of 1.82mm.
Meaning that if using only one raft surface layer I can calculate 1.82 lesser .22, as 1.60mm.

Just verifying as the raft heights and flow rates aren't displayed or modifiable in the IM software.
-SCC

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:55 am

Do you want to take Raft height into account when setting pause at height?
Raft is not included in this height value.

BTW, the layer height for Raft is 0.5mm, 0.38mm and 0.22mm for all templates. You can only edit the quantity of the layers but the height is set by default.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Do you want to take Raft height into account when setting pause at height?
Raft is not included in this height value.

BTW, the layer height for Raft is 0.5mm, 0.38mm and 0.22mm for all templates. You can only edit the quantity of the layers but the height is set by default.

Good to know that RAFT isn't in the pause at height value at present. I assume Brim isn't either.
It would be good to have a radio button to select whether to include raft or not, as the RAFT heights aren't displayed in IM. If you aren't part of this thread you might not know as it not published anywhere else (as far as I know).

I think the additional feature of pause at height to include an option for per layer (by choice) is definitely worth looking into - especially after noting the above information.
-SCC

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:03 am

We have left a message below the Pause at Height setting section. If you think the expression of this is not clear to be understand, please advise.
2.png

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

I see this note about raft....... this is acceptable.

Is it hard to add an option for pause at layer?

I appreciate your responsiveness.
-SCC

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:11 am

We think calculating by layer is a little bit more confusing than by mm.
Since as long as you have changed any settings about layer height, no matter for the first layer or the other layers or layer height in per-layer or per-group settings, the real height carrying out the pause operation will change. But calculating by height is always a fixed value.

Return to “Software”