Sequential printing IM beta

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
cullymoto

Sequential printing IM beta

Postby cullymoto » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Hello all.
I am sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I did search but did not find relevant and current info.

With the IM beta I want to use sequential printing. It seems that IM still prints all models and all layers simultaneously rather than 1 model completely, then the next model completely. It just does all of a layer on model 1, then all of a layer on model 2 and so on.

How can I make ideamaker print 100% of model 1, layer 1 through to "X" then move on to print 100% of model 2? Is this possible?

When using stringy filament, having the extruder jump all around is unacceptable. By utilizing sequential printing to print 100% of a model it eliminates the ooze between models. There is of course risk that the Gantry will strike a completed model when the Z homes again to start model 2, but when positioned with enough space between models, and in the correct order this issue is easily resolved.

I despise s3d... Please don't tell me I have to use that broken software for proper sequential printing, when IM does everything else so much better.

EldRick

Re: Sequential printing IM beta

Postby EldRick » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Use Cura or Slic3r, both of which implement sequential printing, and both of which are superior slicers, and free. Both are more capable than iM.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:33 am

Our Sequential Printing is not the same as the one in Cura, ours is Print Parts in Sequential Order, Cura's is Print Sequence, Object to Object.
Ours function is printing each layer of models in the same order. Which means if the first layer the printing order for 5 models is 32145, then the second layer will be in the same order, 32145. Third the same, fourth the same. To provide such model enough time to cool down and solid properly.

cullymoto

Postby cullymoto » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Ok. Well, this is my opinion.
The sequential printing you've given us is not what we asked for.
What we wanted was as you say "print sequence" like in Cura, S3D, Slic3r.
Again, in my opinion you've missed the Target here.
Everything else your doing is fantastic, I love how powerful ideamaker is. It is just missing this "print sequence"

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 am

It has been requested before from other users. We have already added it into on-going list. But haven't completed yet.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:37 pm

"Ours function is printing each layer of models in the same order."
That is a useful function for improved print quality, but it is a long way from the sequential printing that most users want, i.e. print one object completely, then print the next one.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:51 am

It has been added into list already. But haven't completed developing yet. You may see it in future versions.

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:22 pm

It will be December 2018 soon... I really need this feature! When will IM have this? I was forced to purchase the latest S3D to deal with a part, (mulitples), that require true sequential printing.

Only older versions of Cura support sequential part printing and those do not support control of layer settings. The V4 of S3D does, but I would much rather stay in the IM eco system.

When can we expect this?
Pro 2

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:00 am

Current versions of Cura support sequential printing - it works fine, I use it all the time.
You just need to specify an N2 single-extruder printer and use that printer definition - sequential is only blocked for multi-extruder printers.

Return to “Software”