Sparse Connection

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Casale8

Sparse Connection

Postby Casale8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 pm

I have a edge that I used the same material as support material. I noticed the layer offset is 1 so the ledge is a little droopy -stringy and etc. Nonetheless the feature is not integral so I can allow the print to continue. I have read a few posts, and am curious to know if I used 0 offset with sparse connection will the sparse connection make it easier to separate the support material with a 0 offset?

Is this the function of sparse connection?
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Sparse Connection

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:21 am

Sparse Connection is not for the connection between support structure and model, but the connection between support sheet. If enable Sparse Connection, the support sheets will be separate between each other and the retraction among will be disabled. Which mean the printed out connection between support structures will be changed to oozing strings.
2.png
3.png

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:28 pm

What's the best way to have the support connection to the model easily removed? I'm having an issue with this connection not breaking away easily, requiring a lot of post processing... (chiseling with a flat exact blade), not fun. ;)

Attached the template file to show you where I'm at.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Casale8 wrote:What's the best way to have the support connection to the model easily removed? I'm having an issue with this connection not breaking away easily, requiring a lot of post processing... (chiseling with a flat exact blade), not fun. ;)

GPI HIGH Qual White 10% infill 60° bed with 1 layer raft 1 mm offset with sparse support.zip

I've found the key variable is layer thickness.
If it's hard to remove, increase your layer thickness. If the build on support is a mess, decrease the layer thickness. 2:1 nozzle diameter to layer height is a good starting point.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:28 pm

zemlin wrote:
Casale8 wrote:What's the best way to have the support connection to the model easily removed? I'm having an issue with this connection not breaking away easily, requiring a lot of post processing... (chiseling with a flat exact blade), not fun. ;)

GPI HIGH Qual White 10% infill 60° bed with 1 layer raft 1 mm offset with sparse support.zip

I've found the key variable is layer thickness.
If it's hard to remove, increase your layer thickness. If the build on support is a mess, decrease the layer thickness. 2:1 nozzle diameter to layer height is a good starting point.

FYI to be clear. My support material is the same as the model material, using single extruder in the dual. White Raise 3D Prem. PLA.

Do you mean adjust the layer thickness for my overall print? I've had support material print and remove fine with different filament. My layer height works well for my prints, but for adjusting support pillars? I am not sure I want to sacrifice the resolution of the overall print to get the support material to remove easily. Perhaps, there is a setting for the adjusting the height of the support material that interfaces the model layer (which I don't see in the software)?
-SCC

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Casale8 wrote:Do you mean adjust the layer thickness for my overall print? I've had support material print and remove fine with different filament.
Yep, layer thickness for the print. I haven't seen a slicer that lets you pick an absolute gap between support and the part - it's just a number of layers. I've always used 1 layer separation. I tried 2, and the build was a mess. That might work with a very thin layer relative to the nozzle diameter.

The attachment of the support to the part will vary with different filaments. Temperature, cooling, and all that will come into play - but for a given set of printing conditions, if you need to reduce the bond between the support and the part, increasing the layer thickness is the only way you have to increase the gap. A .1mm change can be very noticeable.
Last edited by zemlin on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:02 pm

zemlin wrote:
Casale8 wrote:Do you mean adjust the layer thickness for my overall print? I've had support material print and remove fine with different filament.
A .01mm change can be very noticeable.

Noted! Thanks
-SCC

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Casale8 wrote:
zemlin wrote:
A .01mm change can be very noticeable.

Noted! Thanks

It's also wrong. I meant 0.1mm is noticeable.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:48 pm

.1 is obvious I'll have to make adjustments for the layers at these support to model connection points.
-SCC

Return to “Software”