Recommended Ideamaker settings for Trinus

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
DarkbutGood

Recommended Ideamaker settings for Trinus

Postby DarkbutGood » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:58 pm

I am having problems making a slicer template to slice stl files for my Trinus. As I first time user I thought that I know what I was doing and completely to produce anything that came close to the quality I was looking for.

So I would like to know what are the recommended template settings for 0.05mm, 0.1mm and 0.2mm layer height.

Thank you for your help.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Recommended Ideamaker settings for Trinus

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:52 am

Seems not such many users share the settings for Trinus here.
You may can start from here first:
search.php?keywords=Trinus&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

We have default template for N series machine with 0.1mm, 0.15mm and 0.2mm layer height, you may can take a look the difference among first.

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 am

as a trinus owner myself. It was my second printer after the N2. you want to use layer heights of .07mm, .14mm and .21mm due to the thread pitch on the machine. let me see what else I can dig up as well
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

DarkbutGood

Postby DarkbutGood » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Sorry for not responding earlier I didn't realize that this topic was approved till now.
I think that I have dealt with most of the problems that I had but I still have a very bad case of under extrusion. When printing a filament clip at 0.2 it had bad top layer adhesion and when I tried to print these models (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:924716 and https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2672478) they were unrecognizable. Is this the reason why I should print with 0.07mm, 0.14mm, and 0.21mm layer height to avoid under extrusion?

Also, I have uploaded my templates to google drive with 0.1 layer hight here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1etnF- ... 6K7OeVkPqy) and 0.05 here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=13Fd-m ... -QR_5LMezF) so you can see for my self what is wrong.

Thank your help.

DarkbutGood

Postby DarkbutGood » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:37 pm

I have already replied but I don't think that it has gone through for whatever reason.

Thank you firesped for your suggestion of using .07mm, .14mm and .21mm layer heights I just used .05mm, .1mm and .2mm because those where the layer heights I always used. I will try to print a model using .07mm next time I get a chance to use my printer.

Thank you for your help.

firesped

Postby firesped » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:38 am

over/under extrusion is a different issue then layer height. Stepper motors naturally want to hold at full steps. But we are using micro stepping. .07 is a full step on the trinus. This is why we want to set the layer heights to a multiple of that number.

flow rate on the filament settings is where ideamaker has kept the settings for filament over/under extrusion.

note: I haven't really played around with the latest version of ideamaker yet.

To find this, you want to set it to 100%
Then you need to load the 20mm calibration cube from file menu > examples

next run the slice or start on the 20mm calibration cube
select a template or create a new one and set the infill density to 0%
Set Shells to 1

click advanced
set layer height to .14
set your first layer settings to how you prefer them to be. I have mine set a specific way.
click infill tab
set bottom solid fill layers to 0
set top solid fill layers to 0

Print the cube
Now you want to measure each side in 2 different locations and write down each number.

add all those numbers up and devide by 8. That tells you how the printer is printing based on the flowrate at 100%. If you are using a .4mm nozzle, and the average is bigger then .4 you are over extruding, if it is under you are under extruding

X% = nozzle size / (aveage of printed cube side widths)

This formula should tell you what your extrution is at.

reduce or increase the flow rate and print again until you get X% = 100%
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

DarkbutGood

Postby DarkbutGood » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Sorry for not replying earlier. I thought that maybe the stepper motor issue may have been the cause of under extrusion as the printer didn't recognize how many steps it had completed or something like that.

I have now dealt with the under extrusion and also the unexpected over extrusion to the top layers. I had to lower the flow rate of the top and bottom layers in the support settings. If anyone else has this problem just lower or raise the flow rate for the top and bottom layers as much as you had raised or lowed the overall flow rate. So if the overall flow rate is 105% make the top and bottom flow rate 95%.

Now that I have fixed the extrusion problems I have another problem to fix. When my 3d printer has finished a print it beings to try to make another print before you get to remove the model, I can easily stop the printer from destroying what it just made when I'm supervising it but it is a problem if I am not there or have to do something else. I'm wondering if you have had the same problem with your Gcode and what you did to stop it.

If I can fix this I can put my ideamaker settings up on Google drive for everyone to use without having to modify anything to make it work.

DarkbutGood

Postby DarkbutGood » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:09 pm

Update I think I have fixed it on my own it was really quite simple and I was just being a bit of a baby. I really didn't have a lot of time to think about it and really didn't want to play around with things without knowing what to do.

I will post the settings templates I have made after Christmas.

See you all in few days.

DarkbutGood

Postby DarkbutGood » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:21 am

Never mind, it is still just as broken as it was before.

DarkbutGood

Postby DarkbutGood » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:57 pm

I have fixed all but the most minor of problems here you can find the settings I now use to print on the Trinus.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BB4rb ... PHZ1AI-vh2

Thank you for all of your help.

Return to “Software”