Simplify3D vs IdeaMaker3 - your opinion?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
zemlin

Simplify3D vs IdeaMaker3 - your opinion?

Postby zemlin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:02 pm

I've been using S3D for my other printer for a couple years now ... so I'm quite familiar with it. So far I prefer S3D to IdeaMaker which I haven't used that much.

Familiarity is, no doubt, a large part of my preference.

We just picked up an N2 at work, and most of the folks who will be using it do not have 3D printing experience. I'd be interested in folks with more balanced experience with IdeaMaker, or perhaps more experience with IdeaMaker, regarding your opinion of the two programs. I have suggested we get S3D to use here, but if it's just my personal preference more than functionality, maybe we should just forge ahead with the IdeaMaker.

I won't contaminate the thread with the reasons for my preference at this point - I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: Simplify3D vs IdeaMaker3 - your opinion?

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:09 pm

I believe that our community will be able to answer this best request best, I am not exactly a neutral voice in this matter. What I will say is that of all the slicers I have used on my other machines in the past I find that I can do a lot more with ideaMaker than I can with any other system (not including S3D, I dont use it).
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

jmp

Postby jmp » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:26 pm

I have had S3D for over 4 years now and have used it on the Raise3D. IdeaMaker is actually a pretty good slicer. I find unless I am doing something pretty complicated that requires a specific feature of S3D I default to Ideamaker because it is both designed for the printer and the convenience of uploading straight from the program.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Personally I dislike S3D because of its workflow design.
For students, I'd suggest Cura v3. It has a much better spectrum of function, and allows beginners to use canned profiles initially, while presenting much more function than the other two as they gain experience.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:18 pm

EldRick wrote:I'd suggest Cura v3

Thank you. I've never messed with Cura. I will check it out.
It's a small group of good folks here, so experimenting with a few different programs is certainly an option.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Cura has added printer definitions for the Raise3D printers, so you don't have to create the setup all by yourself.

DeftCAD

Postby DeftCAD » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:19 pm

Just did a search and found this thread so thought I'm reviving it rather than starting another.

I bought S3D while using my previous machine but now have an N2. I like some of the S3D features, such as the ability to print with different infill settings, so want to be able to use it with the N2. I'm having issues with it though...

I just created some Gcode in S3D as I used to, using pretty much standard settings. I loaded it onto a memory stick, put it in the printer, selected print and it seemed to be starting as I'd expect, but I noticed the right extruder was heating when it should have been the left. Also, the estimated time just kept going up and up... I ended up restarting the printer because it wouldn't stop when I pressed 'stop' on the front screen and the time showed no signs of stopping and either. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 am

DeftCAD wrote:Just did a search and found this thread so thought I'm reviving it rather than starting another.

I bought S3D while using my previous machine but now have an N2. I like some of the S3D features, such as the ability to print with different infill settings, so want to be able to use it with the N2. I'm having issues with it though...

I just created some Gcode in S3D as I used to, using pretty much standard settings. I loaded it onto a memory stick, put it in the printer, selected print and it seemed to be starting as I'd expect, but I noticed the right extruder was heating when it should have been the left. Also, the estimated time just kept going up and up... I ended up restarting the printer because it wouldn't stop when I pressed 'stop' on the front screen and the time showed no signs of stopping and either. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

With the newly released version 3.0.5, you can set different infill parameters by layer or by setting group.
For the problem meet with S3D, may ask the gcode to check more details?

Return to “Software”