Remote Connection !

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Hugues Christian

Remote Connection !

Postby Hugues Christian » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi everybody

I can not connect my Anet A8 printer under Marlin 1.4.
Ideas of what I'm doing wrong or not?

Christian

Jetguy

Re: Remote Connection !

Postby Jetguy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Honestly, I would not use Ideamaker to control your printer.
Just follow me here for a second. Ideamaker is made for Raise 3D printer and while it has functionality and can slice and even print on other open source gcode accepting printers with serial consoles, it is NOT a fully featured control panel.

Again, you can use ideamaker to slice the STL file and create gcode. If all you want to do is print over USB, you can absolutely do that. If you want to tweak settings, have a full blown user interface with jog commands, turn heaters on and off, adjust fans and so forth, this is not the control application you are looking for. Highly suggest you use Repetier host as this will connect to both Marlin and Repetier firmware- as well as a lot of other plain text protocol variants. https://www.repetier.com/

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Your printer uses an 8 bit processor and as such speaks TTL (Transitor-Transistor Logic) meaning a 5V serial data signal. Your computer has no such connection. As such your printer ALSO includes a second processor or chip that DOES use USB and translates to a serial TTL port to talk to the processor running the firmware. So the first hurdle is- your computer must have the driver loaded to even be able to use the USB to serial conversion device for it to even at a hardware and operating system level be able to talk to your processor and thus firmware running on the processor. Again, the first check is to look in your computer's operating system and ensure that the driver is loaded and functioning which creates a logical serial port in the device manager.
It is important to ensure you are not looking at one of your computer's built in serial ports VS this USB device you plugged in.
Serial port enumeration.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Next, once you have ensured you have the USB to serial port driver installed and a new com port is listed in the device manager when you plug in your printer, then you need to follow the information covered in the replies on this topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3665&p=19235

Remember, part of this is you have to tell ideamaker in the serial console connection the baud rate your firmware is operating at along with the exact com port number listed in the device manager identified to be your printer.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Also, In my own testing, I've yet to get this to connect on the workbench in front of me. Tried 3 different firmware branches including a genuine copy of F100l firmware that refused to connect.

Return to “Software”