Cura vs IdeaMaker

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
MZ-Design

Cura vs IdeaMaker

Postby MZ-Design » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:00 am

Hi,
I purchased N2 2 days before. After a first "high" I paid attn. that IdeaMaker has a very poor feature set...
Just a small example - you have no option to configure the 1st layer temp... WTF ??? All slicers I used can do it...
The raft generation is simply owfullllll..... the same about auto supports.. Still looks VERY FRESH.... :(

RogerSt

Re: Cura vs IdeaMaker

Postby RogerSt » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:34 am

So wath is your problem?
Nobody say, you have to use IdeaMaker.
I always user Simplify3D an i'm happy with that.
Raise3D N2 Plus

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Cura is a far more mature product than IdeaMaker. I only use iM for uploading gcode generated by Cura and Slic3r.

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:30 pm

You can use gcode files directly from other programs on the Raise 3D N Series printers. You will not get the preview data that shows on the touch screen unless you put the gocde through ideaMaker

Thank you
Brandon

MZ-Design

Postby MZ-Design » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Ok guys, let's make things clear... I don't assume the Idea maker being an ultimate product.. but, it is an official slicer distrubuted with the machine (not the cheapest machine I can say) and the absence of BASIC functionalities is annoying... One other thing, S3D i a pretty nice staff but... it's all but the money... why do I need to pay extra for a 3rd party SW after purchasing 3.5K+ machine??????
Another aspect - why do you advocating the R3D??? Yep the machine is good, but... what was the problem to enhance SW?????? and I don't ask for something extra... just basic things like printing PLA on bare borosilicate - it is an ABC of 3d printing, you just heat the bed to ~90C and after first layer is stick well you down the temp. to 55-60C - simple and easy... all the slicers doing it, except IM... :)))))
And the most amazing of all R3D is silent........ WTF ??? Amusing... they made an option to regulate the fan by layers (that sctually cannot be regulated on N1/N2 since its just installed and works as is... ) but nothing to regulate a table temp??????? LoL )))))
First I want o see their comments on following....

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:38 am

For the temperature changing based on layer, it is already inside our on-going developing list, you will see it in next version of ideaMaker.
For the other options you think very useful in Cura but not currently in ideaMaker, would you like to advise more? So that we can share your request with our R&D team to check whether we can add them into future developing list.

MZ-Design

Postby MZ-Design » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 am

Hello Vicky! First, I like your promptly response - that really make a difference !
Some other features I miss in IM:

1. The most important - predefined material profiles templates. It is only 3 basic out of the box mainly for PLA and ABS... I would like seing also for most used Nylon types, PC, PETG, TPUs, HIPS, support materials like PVA etc. Actually the machine able printing all this spectrum of plastics, but it takes a lot of time and "clinical trials" to get the good results. Cura for example has a very good material support just out of the box and the way they treat different materials using database is very convenient. Actually I think IM also need logical separating the "material" profiles and "quality" profiles that will make things clearer and configuration much simple.

2. Option to prepare the custom scripts, like in Cura. Very useful option I use a lot (like "pause on height" , nozzle temp. by height etc.) These custom plug-ins are very useful and not difficult to implement.

3. New features demonstrated in latest Cura versions are also avesome: like the "surface ironing" that dramatically improves the model surface etc. (I believe you have some in your list)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 am

1. In current ideaMaker, there already exist print templates for PLA, ABS, PolyPC, PolyFlex, PolySupport, Elastic, HIPS and PETG.
We will test more filament in near future and enlarge the kinds here.
1.png

2. ideaMaker has already added Pause on Height. And changing temperature by layer will be added in next version.
For the script, would you like to advise more details about its application scene?

3. Request well noted.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:35 pm

"For the script, would you like to advise more details about its application scene?"

Have a look at the functions available in the former Tweak-at-Z plugin, or the current post-processing menu in Cura.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:55 am

Thanks for your tips. Will take a look.

Return to “Software”