Remarkable new feature in Slic3r - Adaptive Layer Height

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
EldRick

Remarkable new feature in Slic3r - Adaptive Layer Height

Postby EldRick » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:18 pm

I've just completed a print using the Adaptive Layer Height feature in the recent Slic3r. (Still contribution supported)

The Adaptive feature means that if you have an object with a rounded peak, Slic3r will gradually reduce the layer height as it reaches the crown, in order to reduce the width of the exposed edges as you get to the top. It will reduce the layer height down to the minimum you specify for the extruder. This makes the top look Much smoother and less 3D printed.

I used it for one of my money prints which has a hemispherical top, using a minimum height of .08 and 100% of something. Ninety-five of this piece is at .25mm height, and the Adaptive feature reduced the top layers heights so beautifully that the top doesn't look much more granular or layered than the vertical sides.

I had been manually setting layer heights to achieve the same effect, but this feature does it so much better that this is the best print I've seen for this piece in two years of making them.

This should give interesting results for anything with a non-level flat roof or top, as well as for any non-flat top sides. Anyone care to give it a try on Benchy?

Julia Truchsess

Re: Remarkable new feature in Slic3r - Adaptive Layer Height

Postby Julia Truchsess » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Would love to see this added to Ideamaker.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 am

And print Inner shells first when edges slope out (bottom of a sphere) and print outer layer first at the top where edge slopes in. Doing this may eliminate the need for fill.

Vice Chief

Postby Vice Chief » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:44 am

Has anyone posted instructions on how to get Slic3r working with the Raise printers?

DeX

Postby DeX » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:05 am

Vice Chief wrote:Has anyone posted instructions on how to get Slic3r working with the Raise printers?

And Simplify3D, and Cura please !
I'm this >||< close to use another slicer.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 pm

"...instructions on how to get Slic3r working with the Raise printers?"
(also Cura, S3D, Kisslicer)

Not difficult. Go into iM and view the printer setup panels, to copy your Start and End gcode into the new program, and set the bed size and extruder in Slic3r the same as you see in iM settings. The Raise3D uses Marlin to drive the machine. That's really all you need to monkey with, although each slicer does it in different panels and details.

I'm deliberately not being specific because you need to delve into the settings and understand them to be able to use another slicer effectively. So take some time and experiment.

Or, perhaps Raise3D could take some time to document the use of their printers with the other four widely-used slicers instead of spending all of their software investment trying to upgrade their own?

Vice Chief

Postby Vice Chief » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 pm

EldRick wrote:"...instructions on how to get Slic3r working with the Raise printers?"
(also Cura, S3D, Kisslicer)

I'm deliberately not being specific because you need to delve into the settings and understand them to be able to use another slicer effectively. So take some time and experiment.

By sharing information, we can all benefit from the experimentation and effort of others. Having run a large open source project for six years, I learned that forcing everyone to figure out the same basic things over and over again is a demoralizing waste of time. I, and many other users of this forum, have taken plenty of time to experiment with all kinds of things, including slicers. Being deliberately nonspecific as some kind of philosophical high ground is being deliberately not helpful.

EldRick wrote:Or, perhaps Raise3D could take some time to document the use of their printers with the other four widely-used slicers instead of spending all of their software investment trying to upgrade their own?

The ease of use and tight integration of IdeaMaker is one of the reasons to choose Raise3D. If they ever changed that, I'd be looking at other brands. Having the option to use other slicers is also a requirement of mine. Being forced to use something like S3D for every print would have me stabbing my eyes out.

Steven.W

Postby Steven.W » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Hey all!
Lots of great ideas going around here, cool stuff to add to "The List." This community has input from areas all over the world from people with printers in all kinds of different print environments and under all kinds of creative settings! We may recommend specific things when it comes to treating the hardware on/in our machines or while handling our software, ideaMaker, but we leave all the other really fun creative stuff to you guys! Don't take this as Raise saying we aren't here to help, though! If you're in love with another slicer and our machines at the same time, feel free to ask around on here for help, or even submit a ticket and we'd be happy to help out in any way we can!
Steven Whalen
Raise3D

Return to “Software”