Simplify3D Offset Issue

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
gyro

Re: Simplify3D Offset Issue

Postby gyro » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:00 am

Hi All,
I'm having a lot problems attempting my first print using dual nozzle setup, one for support and one for the model.
I have studied he contents of the forum subject without success.
The Dual Extruder Template.xml that was kindly posted has an offset of Y - 52mm, whereas the nozzles are 25mm apart.

I have tried setting to 25mm and checked the "Apply the offsets to G-Code coordinates" in G-Code options.

When previewed the model is offer for each head and prints the same way. I have made about 6 attempts to no avail.
Please could someone view the attached files and give your thoughts. Printer being N2 Plus.

Relevant files here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lg4wgnzg1fp6 ... 8V78a?dl=0

Thanks in advance
Andrew@Gyro

http://www.gyro.co.nz
Thanks in advance
Andrew@Gyro

www.gyro.co.nz

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:40 am

gyro wrote:Hi All,
I'm having a lot problems attempting my first print using dual nozzle setup, one for support and one for the model.
I have studied he contents of the forum subject without success.
The Dual Extruder Template.xml that was kindly posted has an offset of Y - 52mm, whereas the nozzles are 25mm apart.

I have tried setting to 25mm and checked the "Apply the offsets to G-Code coordinates" in G-Code options.

When previewed the model is offer for each head and prints the same way. I have made about 6 attempts to no avail.
Please could someone view the attached files and give your thoughts. Printer being N2 Plus.

Relevant files here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lg4wgnzg1fp6 ... 8V78a?dl=0

Thanks in advance
Andrew@Gyro

http://www.gyro.co.nz

We are reviewing the code and running some test prints. If we find anything, we will let you know.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:52 am

It prints but right nozzle is 25mm off towards the right.
Probably you can play with different offset settings to see how it responds.

rlballard

Postby rlballard » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:13 pm

Gyro,
Per my previous posts on Simplify3D:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27&sid=1038e96c0a2425ea05fceed3259e25a4#p197

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27&sid=1038e96c0a2425ea05fceed3259e25a4#p106

I have T1 now set to -25 and it works perfectly.

timking

Postby timking » Mon May 16, 2016 9:20 pm

@gyro, Did you happen to obtain a resolution to your Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:07pm question about using Simplify3D to prepare a file to print PLA on a Raise3D N2 Plus? I purchased S3D today, and have been frustrated with tests so far. I am reaching out to them now. I have 3 main problems so far. I am relatively new to adjusting G-code, and was hoping that Simplify3D would provide improved printing path (speed and quality balance, per their reviews) and allow more control of support placement. I did first load the "Dual Extruder Template.xml" supplied in this forum.

1. The Raise3D LCD screen no longer shows the image preview when using S3D.
2. The x y offset does not provide the default Raise3D positioning or its normal pre extrusion nozzle priming over the front left corner of the bed.
3. The nozzle is very high when starting the print job. I do not want to manually adjust the Z screw for jobs sliced with Simplify 3D, since I may want to alternate back to the Raise 3D IdeaMaker software.

Perhaps there is a pointer to a different forum or thread that already addresses my questions?

Thoughts?
tim@Bronze.Biz

emili90110@Gmail.com

Postby emili90110@Gmail.com » Fri May 20, 2016 12:26 am

I am having problem with z offset. SINGLE extruder n2. it prints in the air and I set it to -1 and it generates the raft. but I print and its toooo high. so I lower it and it gets worse????

MikeWall

Postby MikeWall » Fri May 20, 2016 4:34 am

@TIMKING, "1. The Raise3D LCD screen no longer shows the image preview when using S3D."
Image Preview is exclusive to Ideamaker slicer.
N2 KS-Raise3d'er

emili90110@Gmail.com

Postby emili90110@Gmail.com » Sat May 21, 2016 12:31 pm

let me try this again. when I load the S3D and slice a file , I put in the gcode the Zoffset I played with is from -5 to +5 and it still just printed like an inch of the build plate.
when I play with the offset the preview images change it sinks model into the build plate and then my raft wont generate, if I move off set too far or in a different direction the raft will generate . if I go to far with offset the raft wont generate but the print will be in the air as if it where sitting on the raft.

GnoStiC

Postby GnoStiC » Sat May 21, 2016 8:19 pm

actually just remove the remarks at the beginning of gcode file created by S3D, and preview should work.

MikeWall wrote:@TIMKING, "1. The Raise3D LCD screen no longer shows the image preview when using S3D."

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Sun May 22, 2016 7:21 am

GnoStiC wrote:actually just remove the remarks at the beginning of gcode file created by S3D, and preview should work.

MikeWall wrote:@TIMKING, "1. The Raise3D LCD screen no longer shows the image preview when using S3D."

:D :D
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

emili90110@Gmail.com

Postby emili90110@Gmail.com » Mon May 23, 2016 6:00 pm

Derek@Raise3D wrote:
GnoStiC wrote:actually just remove the remarks at the beginning of gcode file created by S3D, and preview should work.

IS THIS TRUE OR IS IT A JOKE? I don't know if that was sarcasm? how can you remove remarks to show preview?

GnoStiC

Postby GnoStiC » Mon May 23, 2016 7:00 pm

my bad. on my computer, i have to remove the remarks of S3D to be able to see the thumbnails of gcode. for some reason i didn't notice the "r3d lcd" part of the message.

yes, as @TIMKING mentioned, preview is ideaMaker only. idemaker creates a data file alongside the gcode file.

emili90110@Gmail.com wrote:
Derek@Raise3D wrote:

IS THIS TRUE OR IS IT A JOKE? I don't know if that was sarcasm? how can you remove remarks to show preview?

GnoStiC

Postby GnoStiC » Mon May 23, 2016 7:08 pm

i was looking at the loaddatafile code and noticed you also have filament_price_jp, _kor, _cn variables.
why and where are you using these?

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 21.48.24.jpg

DreamForge

Postby DreamForge » Wed May 25, 2016 4:37 am

Just picked up a copy of S3D, mostly because I like some of the features, like being able to define the supports and control over the left and right extruders ooze settings as separate entities. Is the upload in this post still current? I contacted S3D customer support and they said they had the config files I would require, just not sure if its the same thing you posted.

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Mon May 30, 2016 12:07 am

GnoStiC wrote:my bad. on my computer, i have to remove the remarks of S3D to be able to see the thumbnails of gcode. for some reason i didn't notice the "r3d lcd" part of the message.

yes, as @TIMKING mentioned, preview is ideaMaker only. idemaker creates a data file alongside the gcode file.

Derek@Raise3D wrote: :D :D

It's a joke. :D
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

emili90110@Gmail.com

Postby emili90110@Gmail.com » Mon May 30, 2016 8:45 pm

DreamForge wrote:Just picked up a copy of S3D, mostly because I like some of the features, like being able to define the supports and control over the left and right extruders ooze settings as separate entities. Is the upload in this post still current? I contacted S3D customer support and they said they had the config files I would require, just not sure if its the same thing you posted.

I used the profile that S3d support emailed me and then I tweaked a few things to get it to print right. I have tuned everything and it will help with the impossible prints which s3d has already made back the money for prints that I could not complete.
but now are successful thanks to S3D. those tough orders have made $450 in just 3 orders. so worth every penny. sucks that you lose the preview and the cool interface to connect on remote connection.
ps if you get retraction setting perfect please let me know what you set it at. it is the only thing I have not got a chance to work on.

emili90110@Gmail.com

Postby emili90110@Gmail.com » Mon May 30, 2016 8:46 pm

Derek@Raise3D wrote:
GnoStiC wrote:my bad. on my computer, i have to remove the remarks of S3D to be able to see the thumbnails of gcode. for some reason i didn't notice the "r3d lcd" part of the message.

It's a joke. :D

you hurt me derek.. :cry:

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Mon May 30, 2016 8:50 pm

Might be smart to put the download of the S3D settings in a sticky?

I assume there are more ppl using S3D (so far i stick to ideamaker since the support is so much easier to remove)

bwulfe

Postby bwulfe » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:31 am

I've been playing with S3D for a few weeks now and have found success in some ares; problems in others. First off, I'd like to thank rlballard and Thomarann for their initial work and posts. I'd have been lost without that as a starting point.

For those looking to get the previews of your file to appear on the R3D Touch-screen (or IM direct-connection screen) there is a way to get it; it's just a bit clunky. However you setup your model in S3d (Dimensions, Orientation, alignment of multiple objects (if printing multiples), duplicate the exact same setup in ImageMaker. You don't have to worry about print speed settings, ooze control, temps or anything else. You just need to make sure that you have your models occupying the exact same physical space. Then slice the model in Imagemaker. Throw away the G-Code file; but keep the .data file. That is what the Raise3D uses to generate the previews. Copy that file onto the USB drive / SD Card that contains your S3D gCode and make sure that both files have the exact same file name, prior to the DOT extension. This has worked perfectly for me.

One Issue that I have been having with S3d, is previewing dual extrusion models; where I am using one extruder for my print media and the other for support. (ABS + HIPS, PLA + PolySupport, etc.) I have my -25mm tool offset set and the model prints perfectly; but in the print preview section, it shows the extrusions shifted 25mm apart from one another. The only (cumbersome) workaround I have been able to devise is to go into the S3D settings and under the Machine Tab and delete the -25mm offset. I can then generate a preview that shows me what will actually print. I CAN NOT use the resulting gCode; as it will result in a misalignment of the extruders. This simply allows me to see what my current settings will generate. I then exit the preview and open up any of my process files. This immediately resets the tool offsets to what they should be and I need to issue another "Prepare to Print" command, in order to produce the proper gCode. .Unfortunately; if I'm trying to tweak my settings, this becomes old, very fast. Any thoughts / suggestions out there?

One oddity that I have noticed, is that if I pause my print job for any reason; whenI resume the job, all printing/ motion on the current layer goes to 100% of my max print speed. When the next level starts; things see to return to normal. I have included the gCode for the R3D Pause/resume functions; as outlined somewhere in the forum (the threads are getting long enough, to where it is difficult to backtrack the exact location that I originally saw the post.) I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone else has experienced similar issues an/or if anyone has a suggestion on how to fix this.

My final question / comment on S3D is whether or not anyone has come up with a means of transferring files from computer to the Raise3D; without the use of a storage card? I don't see any network communication settings in S3D that would allow me to send the file, and my understanding is that the USB ports on the R3D are not supported by S3d for direct transfer / control of the printer. Whenever I need the fine-tuned controls of S3D; I find myself doing a bastardized setup of creating my gCode in S3D, creating a preview in ImageMaker; putting both files onto a USB Drive, plugging that into the printer and then using either the touch-panel control or the computer connection console within ImageMaker to start and monitor my print job.

Thanks for any input and I hope some of my insights help those who are struggling along like I was at first.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:47 am

Just send your g-code file with wifi in ideamaker.

Return to “Software”