Simplify3D Offset Issue

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Charles

Re: Simplify3D Offset Issue

Postby Charles » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:06 am

With all the peoeple with raise n1/n2 machines, is there any hope for native s3d support in the near future. How do they decide which machines to provide native support for?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:21 am

Save your .data and .gcode files in the same place. And make the same name for them. Upload the .gode in ideaMaker. It will upload the .data together.

R3DUser

Postby R3DUser » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:54 am

It would be really awesome if Raise3D were to work with Simplify3D to offer native support. Simplify3D has a large growing user base, and when your printer works with a popular software like Simplify3D it helps sell more printers (cross-selling). That is just good for everyone. Add me to the list of those hoping for native Simplify3D support.

I do however understand that plenty of time and work have been put into ideaMaker and it continues to be improved. You can't beat the price of ideaMaker, and it is a great tool especially if can't or don't want to spend the money for something like Simplify3D.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:01 am

tbh i tried S3d and i prefer Ideamaker due to the superior support they print.

And at the rate they keep updating and improving the software it will not be long before people start to wonder why they pay 150$ for S3d

I do miss the way that S3D can make processes to change settings per model or even per layer in a model (different types of infill, layerheight or support at different levels in the model for example is VERY handy)

michaelhauser

Postby michaelhauser » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:43 pm

The version of S3D released yesterday claims to support the Raise3D machines. Has anyone tried it yet?

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:41 pm

Im using the new verison of S3d with support for Raise3d Machines. My N2Plus Dual was listed and setup. Going over the settings, they are pretty slow and also, I had a problem with the dual extruders being reversed. I would select to print with the left extruder but it would always heatup the right one. Problem was in the temp settings under temperature identifier, T0 and T1 need to be reversed.

bwulfe

Postby bwulfe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:44 pm

@Zettlinger: I agree that IdeaMaker is an excellent package (especially for the price) If I'm printing something that doesn't require a lot of tweaking; then I use IM. The main advantages of S3D (for my purposes, at least) are its ability to create custom supports and modify the printing parameters at any level within the overall print job. I can save massive amounts of time (and filament) by keeping my infill & support percentages low for most portions of a print job and then boost those levels where I need the added support or increased strength / rigidity. I also appreciate S3D's ability to print non-critical layers at a higher speed, then slow down the extruders in areas of high detail. Both programs have their benefits and deficiencies. If ImageMaker ever adds multi-level process controls; I'd have little need for S3D. I definitely appreciate the fact that Raise3D keeps working on improvements and enhancements to their software. Combined with the excellent customer support that I have experienced, whenever problems have cropped up; I am glad that I chose to back Raise3D via their Kickstarter campaign. (I've submitted trouble tickets in the middle of the night and received a personal response within 15 minutes. I've seldom seen that level of support from any other company; regardless of the products / services involved.)

bwulfe

Postby bwulfe » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:57 am

@Phife: I just tried a dual-head print and I found that it wasn't just the temps that were swapped. I setup to print PLA, from the left Extruder and PolySupport from the Right. When I started to print, the model printed with the PolySupport (loaded in the right extruder) and the support structure printed with the PLA (Loaded in the Left Extruder). I also had some offset issues. The preview showed a 25 mm offset between the placement of the Left and right extruder materials. I had this same problem with my manual setup in V 3.02. Previously, the model would print correctly; despite the misleading preview. This time, it printed out exactly as shown in the preview; with the support structure 25 mm out of alignment with my model. :?

It's possible that I have some conflicts; due to my reuse of a factory file that I had created with S3D 3.02 and manual configurations for the R3D printer. I did use the configuration assistant in v. 3.1 to setup for my dual N2 Plus, and verified all of my process settings; so I wasn't anticipating any issues. :?: Tomorrow; I'll try making a fresh start with a new / clean factory file and reimport the original .stl file.

bwulfe

Postby bwulfe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:42 pm

OK, I played around with S3D 3.1 some more last night. I didn't get around to verifying whether or not this issue is unique to the N2 Plus settings or if it is common to both the N2 and N2 Plus; but the Left and Right extruders are definitely reversed in the settings. Any job / setting applied to the Left Extruder (as setup by the S3D Configuration Wizard) will actually apply to the Right Extruder and Vice-Versa. To fix this; I simply went into the Extruder tab, in the process settings, and switched the Left Extruder to Tool 0 and the Right to Tool 1.

My printing offset issues persisted; until I ended up setting my Tool 0 offset to +25.00 mm, under the gCode tab. (Logically, I would have thought that it should have been -25 mm; but that increased the offset error to 50 mm.) This resulted in a repeat of the issue I experienced with my manual setup with S3D 3.02, where all print previews display extrusions from the Left Nozzle as being 25 mm to the right of those from the Right Extruder. Everything prints properly with these settings; but it is a Pain in the A$$ when you want to preview everything; prior to actually printing.

The Dual Extension Wizard may adjust for this problem; unfortunately; I'm unaware of any method to use the Wizard if you are only using the second extruder to print support layers.

If anyone has any thoughts / suggestions, I'd appreciate the input. In the mean time, I'm going to post a copy of this message to S3D support & see what they might advise.

DreamForge

Postby DreamForge » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:54 pm

Yep I found the same, left and right are reversed :P

gyro

Postby gyro » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:02 am

Hi there,
I having a few issues, I'm wondering if someone can give some advice.
I'm testing out the best setting to print the Diatom (as attached), unsure whether to print in 2 halves or use dissolvable HIPS support, suggestions welcome.
Diatom.png

I'm using an N2Plus with the wall being created by both nozzles and the support from the second nozzle.
I've printed a cylinder set at 50deg to test the best settings, but I'm getting a pretty messy result of the wall and an OK result for the cylinder
Clearly the wall is doing it's job, judging by the trailing strands of filament.
Wall_Stringing.png

Here is my FFF file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh4x2llkg04et ... t.fff?dl=0
Can it be adjusted for a better output?

I have increased the retraction to 3mm as per the Raise3D website, although this is not the settings in the new release from S3D settings for the N2, am I correct in doing this as I was getting terrible stringing, which temp and speed did not seem to fix.
Stringing.JPG

Does anyone use a nozzle prime script that does both nozzles, at present I'm getting the second nozzle to print the skirt as a way of doing this.
I'm something of a newbie, so any help is most welcome.

Thanks in advance
Andrew@gyro
http://www.gyro.co.nz
Attachments
Preview.png
Thanks in advance
Andrew@Gyro

www.gyro.co.nz

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:29 am

Though I haven't tried S3D, here are some settings to check.

Minimal Layer Print Time,
Increasing it can provide more time to cool.

Retract Speed
Increasing it can speed the retraction up.

Printing Speed
Printing too fast may cause the model do not have enough time to cool.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:24 am

bwulfe wrote:OK, I played around with S3D 3.1 some more last night. I didn't get around to verifying whether or not this issue is unique to the N2 Plus settings or if it is common to both the N2 and N2 Plus; but the Left and Right extruders are definitely reversed in the settings. Any job / setting applied to the Left Extruder (as setup by the S3D Configuration Wizard) will actually apply to the Right Extruder and Vice-Versa. To fix this; I simply went into the Extruder tab, in the process settings, and switched the Left Extruder to Tool 0 and the Right to Tool 1.

My printing offset issues persisted; until I ended up setting my Tool 0 offset to +25.00 mm, under the gCode tab. (Logically, I would have thought that it should have been -25 mm; but that increased the offset error to 50 mm.) This resulted in a repeat of the issue I experienced with my manual setup with S3D 3.02, where all print previews display extrusions from the Left Nozzle as being 25 mm to the right of those from the Right Extruder. Everything prints properly with these settings; but it is a Pain in the A$$ when you want to preview everything; prior to actually printing.

The Dual Extension Wizard may adjust for this problem; unfortunately; I'm unaware of any method to use the Wizard if you are only using the second extruder to print support layers.

If anyone has any thoughts / suggestions, I'd appreciate the input. In the mean time, I'm going to post a copy of this message to S3D support & see what they might advise.

When I first got my SEB N2 printing dual extrusion via S3D worked fine. Now it is totally FUBARED. The tools settings are still Back asswards. The preview still will not work (the S3D preview not the touch screen) and shows the 2 tools misaligned. The FW still does not support the offsets. The firmware SHOULD support the offset! This is kinda sucky. Frankly I'd NOT recommend ANYONE EVER buy a Raise3D for dual extrusion.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Andy, many of us print dual extrusion with no problem daily using the N2 so I'm a bit baffled by your comment. Perhaps you could clarify why you would never buy a R3D N2 to do dual extrusion? Are you saying it is incapable or that there are much better machines to do this sort of work? I currently use mine to do production using HIPS support almost every day.

Gyro, I use S3D and I've never even seen a reversed print head problem unless I mistakenly defined the tools wrong. I've got two screens for you to look at to see if yours matches mine. The first is the Options screen to show the global setup. My y offset will be different from yours because my calibration showed me that I had to adjust it 0.40 mm. My other N2 has a x offset of -24.50 and a y of -0.60. You have to calibrate to find the exact offset. The second screen is to show you an easy way to turn the offsets on and off in the preview screen. To be clear, that check box must be in the on position before generating the gcode you will print with or the offsets will not be applied to the gcode. (I do not know why S3D doesn't automatically turn off the offsets in the preview and then generate the final gcode with the offsets...)

2017-08-19_9-41-28.jpg
Options under the main menu item "Tools"

2017-08-19_9-42-08.jpg
Check this box off to see the two print heads align in the preview. Turn it back on before saving the gcode to print.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, and adjustable table

Return to “Software”