S3D and Dual extrusion

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Andy Cohen

S3D and Dual extrusion

Postby Andy Cohen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 pm

Has this ever been figured out??? Last posts here seem to leave the issue hanging. Last I read the tool numbers are backwards and 1 nozzle needs an offset. The sliced preview does not show them combined and you have to have the offset ing code turned on.
I've tried again lately and I cannot seem to get it to work at all. It either offsets in one direction the wrong way or it offsets the wrong way in the other direction.

Jetguy

Re: S3D and Dual extrusion

Postby Jetguy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:29 am

I just ran a test using the latest S3D 4.0 and also pulled down the latest N2 Plus profile using the "Configuration Assistant" and while preview shows the gcode offset because the gcode really is offset for Raise 3D printers, it's actually correct.
Also, printing a Hilber test cube and it comes out correct.

The sequence to reproduce was use the "Configuration Assistant" to choose and download the latest profile for the printer.
Auto Generated Inline Image 3.png

Then I loaded 2 STL files from the dual extrusion hilbert cube from and Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16343 by Tony Buser.
Then, from the "Tools" menu, I ran the dual extrusion wizard that can both align the models and tell what extruder to use.
Auto Generated Inline Image 2.png

I then "Prepared to Print" and you have to select both processes. I used Select All.
Auto Generated Inline Image 4.png

And then yes, again, the preview is offset.
Auto Generated Inline Image 5.png

But again, the actual print is exactly what I intended and setup.
DSC04782.JPG

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:33 am

Here is the Raise 3D factory file and resulting gcode. Again, the gcode will always be offset, and shows this in previews, but prints correctly because our printers and firmware use offset gcode and the Ideamaker preview is using a bit of trickery to mask that offset and hide it- But ONLY for Ideamaker produced files. If you preview an external slicer produced gcode, this "trickery" of masking the gcode offset for toolhead 1 is not applied.
Attachments
Auto Generated Inline Image 1.png
hilbert_cube1.zip
(228.13 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:44 am

If you do this in reverse and preview a dual extrusion print created in Ideamaker and then open that gcode in a preview using other slicers like Simplify 3D, you will see the gcode is offset- again, because that's correct for a Raise 3D series printer and firmware. Again, the attached gcode file was made by using Ideamaker for dual extrusion and then previewing that file in both ideamaker- which hides the offset, and S3D, which shows the offset.
Attachments
hilbert_cube1ideamaker.zip
(338.38 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Raise 3D preview of Ideamaker gcode.jpg
Ideamakerslicedpreview.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Here showing the details and would be true for N1, N2, and N2 Plus. I've also attached the S3D profiles I tweaked with a really minor edit to ensure the print cooling gcode controlled fan output is turned off at the end of a print. Key note, that's not the extruder cooling fans, it's an optional layer fan that the user adds to the Dual models or is the 50mm fan and duct on single extruder models.
Attachments
Raise3D N Series Dual Tuned.zip
(10.41 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
S3D N series toolhead offset.jpg

Return to “Printing Software”