Not printing - Prusa i3 MK2S

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
nedge2k

Not printing - Prusa i3 MK2S

Postby nedge2k » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Has anyone has issues getting Ideamaker to work with the Prusa i3? I added a new printer, imported my STL, duplicated and modified my filament/print templates and changed the relevant start/end gcode for what was in Slice3r PE but when I load the sliced gcode, everything heats up and then nothing happens when it gets to temperature, apart from the target temps switching to 0 and starting to cool down again.

Have I missed something out?

TIA

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Not printing - Prusa i3 MK2S

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:36 am

May I ask this failed .gcode file for a look?

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:01 am

I've used ideamaker to slice files with my monoprice maker select v2, which is a clone.

You can load the gcode file back in with the open print file option under the file menu. It will show you the preview.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

nedge2k

Postby nedge2k » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:05 am

Hi Vicky, see attached - could it be becasue I've just copied the gcode for the i3 from slicer? I'm a gcode n00b not sure if the temp set commands are compatible?

test.zip
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 15 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:35 am

.gcode file checked. We saw the following codes inside:
M104 S[first_layer_temperature]
M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature]
M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature]
M109 S[first_layer_temperature]

Please replace the code inside [] to be real temperature value to check whether it can work or not.
Such as: M104 S210

Not sure it is the main course of your problem, but ideaMaker does not have such placeholder of [first_layer_temperature]. So it cannot analysis these codes.

nedge2k

Postby nedge2k » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:04 am

I'm sure it's probably that...but the weird thing it, it gets up to the defined temperature in the template and then stops.

Will give it a try, thanks.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Just understand what you have done. You copied and pasted starting code from another slicer that contained variable locations.
Ideamaker does NOT work that way and instead appends the temp setting and are NOT seen in the starting gcode space in the profile.
but the weird thing it, it gets up to the defined temperature in the template and then stops.

So, what happened was, you sliced the file and Ideamaker added it's temps. Then your starting ALSO added temp commands but because of the error that you cannot use variable names- you have an invalid command when read by firmware. Again, the produced gcode file, Ideamaker added the correct code in blue at the top of the file. As your firmware reads and executes this line by line, it got to your appended gcode section which all that does is take verbatim what you typed in the gcode section of the profile and appends it to the produced gcode. And, what you have is a gcode command with broken syntax because it's missing the parameter and yes, your firmware stops dead in it's tracks reading this file.

That's why it's halting.

Again, straight copy from the produced gcode you attached:
M221 T0 S94.00
M140 S60.00 These commands added by Ideamaker but NOT seen in the starting gcode in the profile- these are correct
M104 T0 S240.00
M109 T0 S240.00
T0
M190 S60.00

M115 U3.0.9
M83
M104 S[first_layer_temperature] These gcodes you copied into the starting gcode section of the profile.
M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] You must remove these from the profile gcode tab
M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature]
M109 S[first_layer_temperature]

G28 W
Last edited by Jetguy on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:10 pm

Again, if you look at a supplied Ideamaker profile you will NOT see temp commands intentionally in the starting gcode. This is because the slicer adds them automatically and do not need to be in this section. The only temp codes you see are in the ending gcode section because those shutdown the heaters and because they are not appended from another section of the profile, they must be in the ending gcode to properly shut the machine state down to a safe state.
Proper starting gcode squence.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:26 pm

The best thing you could do is post your starting and ending code you appended in the profile you created. We can look at that and figure out what is incorrect and will cause problems.

Return to “Software”