Location of templates on Linux

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
xeddog

Location of templates on Linux

Postby xeddog » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new both to this forum and to 3d printing. I have a Monoprice Mini for now (I have to wait for SWMBO to simmer down before buying another one), and have been using Cura for a slicer. I came across IdeaMaker and want to give it a try. The problem I am having right off the bat is that after loading an stl file and then try to slice it, I have to select a template first.

I have read on this forum about importing an existing template, but the instructions just talked about windows and mac. I have found a template for the N2 machines that I would like to import, but being on Linux, I cannot find where the existing templates are located to import from. So can anyone tell me where the templates are located on Ubuntu 16.04?

And one more question, is there a way to just create our own templates?

Thanks,

Wayne

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Location of templates on Linux

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:42 am

Use the current existed templates to start with. There are two ways to get the existed templates into your printer type.
1. Press import button under the printer type and filament type you want to start with.
All the current templates are under ~/.ideamaker/default_profile in Linux.
2. Press Duplicate button under the printer type and filament type you want to start with. Choose one printer type and one filament type and choose one template to duplicate from that printer and filament list to your filament and printer type.

Once you build a template inside ideaMaker, it will be save under ~/.ideamaker/profile in Linux.
You can change name and edit the settings inside the templates to make your own templates.

xeddog

Postby xeddog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:45 pm

Sorry for not responding sooner. The ~/.ideamaker/default_profile directory is empty. But I have found a rather complicated way to get them. Lets see if I can get this right -

I have to start a slice. when it asks for a template I have to select the "RAISE3D N2 Plus - V2 Hot End" printer type. For PLA, I then have to select "PLA 1.75mm - V2 Hot End" for the Primary Extruder, and then one of the profiles listed below. Next, Duplicate it. In the Create Template dialog box that opens, I have to leave the Printer type set to the RAISE3D printer, then select "PLA 1.75mm - V2 Hot End" for filament type, Leave the Template setting as is, and finally in the Template Name field I can give it the name I want. Then click OK, and in the next dialog box labelled Duplicate Template, I can either click on advanced and change all of the settings as necessary, or just click OK. If I just click OK, I can change the settings as necessary using the Edit option.

Next step. The template will now be listed in the slice dialog, but not for my printer. So I now have to export it. With the Printer Type set for the RAISE3D printer as before, I specify some temporary directory to store the .bin file, and Save.

Home stretch. Now in the Slice dialog box, I can enter my printer for the Printer Type selection. The template just created will not be listed yet, so I have to Import it. That is a straight forward process and once completed, the new template will always be available to IdeaMaker. I just have to make sure the Primary Extruder is set for my needs. For example, if I am importing a template for PLA, I have to make sure that I have "PLA 1.75mm" selected in the Primary extruder pull-down.

Whew.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:41 am

There is no need to export the default templates then import it into ideaMaker.
You can directly use Duplicate button to import default templates into your printer type.

Choose the printer type to be your printer. Then press Duplicate button.
1.png

Choose one default template you want to import to your printer.
2.png

It will come into your printer's templates list then.
3.png
3.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Return to “Printing Software”