Error in iM printing sequence

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
EldRick

Error in iM printing sequence

Postby EldRick » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:02 am

I am writing to point out an obvious iM error in slicing that creates print quality issues, and which has been corrected in all three of the other slicers with which I am familiar (Kisslicer, Cura, Slic3r).

The issue appears when you have a print with two small pieces being built up. iM will print a layer on one piece, and then immediately print a second layer on top of the same part, move to the other item, print two layers there, back to the first one, etc.

The problem this creates is that there is no time between the layers for the plastic to cool, and two hot layers together creates considerable warping and curling, particularly with the poor part cooling the N2 provides. Other slicers have done this in the past, but the genre of slicer programs has improved considerably in the past few years, and I don't know of any other slicers that still make this error.

The solution, of course, is to fully interleave the parts - print one layer, switch to the other piece for that layer, back to the first piece for the second layer, etc. This unfortunately slows printing by creating more moves, but that's the tradeoff for noticeably better print quality on small pieces.

I can't use iM for small parts due to this, and iM has no way to print parts sequentially, so for me the program is rarely useful as a slicer.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Error in iM printing sequence

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:21 am

Setting printing sequence is currently not developed inside ideaMaker.
But for your case, you can set Layer Start Point as Fixed in Other tab in Advanced settings which is set as Nearest by default. You can set a point as the first point to start each new layer so that the one model will be always print earlier than the other.

We will add printing sequence in future versions.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:44 pm

"... set a point as the first point to start each new layer so that the one model will be always print earlier than the other."
Good workaround, but it shouldn't be necessary, and I need the start points to be random, not concentrated into a z-scar running up the model.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 am

Random works for your case too, but hard to control the position by yourself.

Aaliyah

Postby Aaliyah » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:42 am

I am also waiting for new printing sequence version. :)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:20 am

Notes taken. Will add your voice into request listi.

Return to “Printing Software”