Touchscreen Firmware 0.9.2 Release Note 2017.06.22

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Michael.P@Raise3D

Touchscreen Firmware 0.9.2 Release Note 2017.06.22

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:29 am

The majority of the update comes in the “Settings” Menu. One of the major bugfixes we have comes in the form of the PID autotune feature. This feature is to help those printers whose printhead heaters cannot reach the desired temperature. An example of this issue is as follows:

Print head temperature set to 215c, printer reaches set temp after about 1 minute.
Print head temperature set to 260c, Printer reaches 250c and holds temp for more than 2 minutes. Printer is unable to reach 260c.

With the new Auto Tune function the user can select a desired temperature and calibrate the sensors to reach that more accurately.

Directory: Settings> Machine> More Settings> Hardware> PID Settings

Directory: Settings> Machine> More Settings> Hardware> Steps per unit

Steps per units has also been added to the settings menu, this will allow the user to control the number of steps each motor makes per rotation. This is for Users using non standard motors.

Directory: Settings> Machine> More Settings> Privacy and Security

Print stats collection
-This feature will allow the printer to collect statistics from your prints to feed them into the Dashboard. Disabling the Print Stats collection will not record the current and future print being created.

Advanced settings continued

Directory: Settings> Machine> More Settings> Advanced settings

Preheat after print recovery has been added.
Clear info after print completion
This will remove the previous print information from the home screen when the job is completed. Whereas before, the previous print would be displayed in the home screen even after selecting “Done”
Cooldown after Loading or Unloading
This will cool the print heads down after the loading or unloading process automatically.

Reset functions

Directory: Settings> Machine> More Settings> Reset

The following reset functions have also been added
-Clear Print Statistics
-Reset privacy and security settings
-Restore factory settings
-Clear print statistics will wipe all dashboard statistics.

Other improvements:
(Third party Slicer objects) Fixed an issue with prints showing 100% complete after the first object is completed in a Sequential build array. Now each individual restart of an object will begin at 0% rather than all parts being part of the total 100%.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Jetguy

Re: Touchscreen Firmware 0.9.2 Release Note 2017.22.06

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:48 am

Unfortunately, this update still doesn't answer the questions.
Examples:
Directory: Settings> Machine> More Settings> Hardware> PID Settings
Since the Marlin V1.1.1 official firmware does NOT support EEPROM saving of settings. How is this function implemented?
If you tune, and this sends commands to the Marlin firmware in volatile memory, then the printer next reboot forgets the tuned PID settings.
So, again, how is this implemented? Does it store the tuned PID values in the pcDuino code and settings and then every time the printer boots resend those to the motion board?
Again, without knowing exactly how this works, it's not effective to the user. If they tune PID for one print, turn the machine off or it resets and then they go to print the next day if they fail to re-run the PID tuning sequence before printing then the original non-tuned values are used. This will probably anger users and confuse them more than anything.

Same with steps per mm tuning. When and how does it send the updated commands to the motion board? Start of every boot? Start of every print? Is this covered for resume function of a print after power loss? If it doesn't happen at power on, then loading and unloading filament will still be slow on modified machines. Again, without an functional understanding of when and how this works, it's not effective to the user.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 am

All PID and Step data you set on screen are saved in configuration files in pcDuino.
Every time when pcDuino opens serial port, which means when power on or reboot the machine, it will send codes to motion board, M92 for Steps, M301 for PID.

Note: If you have changed PID and Steps values in motion board firmware, screen won't use the values in your firmware, but the ones you set on screen.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:09 am

About Reset privacy and security:

It will reset all the information under more settings -> privacy and security back to default settings, including:
1. SSH password
2. Screen locker
3. Print state record into dashboard.

Which means, it will set:
1. SSH password back to random
2. Screen locker back to disable and erase the password you set for it
3. Record print state into dashboard.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:21 am

For Restore factory settings, here is a list it will affect:
1. Reset network settings, including Ethernet and Wifi config.
2. Clear all the personal settings, including machine name, language, number of nozzles, screen brightness, time zone & time and settings under More settings - Hardware, More Settings - Advanced settings.
3. Clear all the print records in dashboard.
4. Reset all the information inside privacy security as mentioned aboved.
5. Clear all the files inside local storage.
6. Clear all the dump files saved for power blackout.

Settings under More settings - Hardware, More Settings - Advanced settings will reset to be:
1) Use FastStop -> disabled
2) Use Monitor -> disabled
3) Preheat after print recovery -> disabled
4) Clear info after a print completed -> disabled
5) Cool down after loading or unloading filaments -> enabled

Note: this option won't affect the motion board firmware, no matter which version you are using.

With this option enabled, you will see a loading bar after reboot like updating firmware.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:11 pm

That said, probably need a page in the FAQ or support sections to go into depth on using PID tuning function.
There is both auto tune and manual tune, and while great features, they do need greater usage explanation for many users.

firesped

Postby firesped » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 pm

this is awesome, it solves the issue i currently have. as I can't get octoprint to work on my new touchscreen and I need to do pid autotuning for my insulated hotends.

thank you.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

firesped

Postby firesped » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:25 am

I ran the autopid tuning and the only concern I saw was that it displayed back on the screen zero values for what to set it to. I hit cancel and downloaded the log to see what it did. mind you, the test completed uber fast even with kickstarter PID values on my printer. the hardware I am using has been updated to the V2 thermocouples.

edit: I think this is a firmware issue. I need to research output for m303 in the raise3d firmware vs the outpout of m303 in official marlin 1.1

edit 2: it was a firmware output issue. m303 on the firmware was not displaying the requested format. I've corrected it and it is working now.
printers:

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:57 am

Jetguy wrote:That said, probably need a page in the FAQ or support sections to go into depth on using PID tuning function.
There is both auto tune and manual tune, and while great features, they do need greater usage explanation for many users.

Notes taken. We will prepare a guide of how to autotune PID.

JeffS

Postby JeffS » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:51 am

A quick note on a possible minor bug in the latest Raise Touch firmware 0.9.2.1026. I recently upgraded to the Bondtech dual drive and needed to update to latest Raise Touch firmware in order to adjust E-steps per unit. This worked fine but I also tried PID autotune. The left nozzle worked correctly, but right nozzle would not update nozzle temp during autotune cycles. It seemed to complete the process OK, but nozzle temp was static during the entire process and stayed at initial starting temp. It was only after the process completed that the right nozzle temp started reading correctly again in real time. See photos.

IMG_7258.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:54 am

it's has to do with the motion controller firmware serial output and how the touchscreen processes that data. When it goes into PID Autotune mode, everything is reported as if it was extruder 0, even though it is not. If you run gcode to tune the bed, (don't save it afterwards) it will think it is extruder 0 and report the temperature for the bed on extruder 0.
printers:

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:57 am

Which is why I recommended that Raise 3D post explicit step by step instructions to properly use the PID autotune.
I'm all for helping, but they really need to shore up the documentation.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 am

JeffS wrote:A quick note on a possible minor bug in the latest Raise Touch firmware 0.9.2.1026. I recently upgraded to the Bondtech dual drive and needed to update to latest Raise Touch firmware in order to adjust E-steps per unit. This worked fine but I also tried PID autotune. The left nozzle worked correctly, but right nozzle would not update nozzle temp during autotune cycles. It seemed to complete the process OK, but nozzle temp was static during the entire process and stayed at initial starting temp. It was only after the process completed that the right nozzle temp started reading correctly again in real time. See photos.

IMG_7258.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG

Thanks for your information. We found a small bug for showing current temperature of right nozzle inside PID tuning.
This won't affect the final result, you can still use it as normal.
We will fix it in next version.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:57 am

Here has the auto-tuning steps, if anyone needs to check: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1505&p=15761#p15761.

JeffS

Postby JeffS » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:11 am

Sounds good Vicky. I did save the settings for the right nozzle and it seems to be working.

Thanks for adding it to the list of improvements for the next revision.

gemnfrergy

Touchscreen Firmware 0 9 2 Release Note 2017 22 06

Postby gemnfrergy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks guys for your help,

Sitzme, im doing that right now, just running gcode and moving it close to the switches to home, but none then none of the creation workshop controls work. Which is fine for testing but Id like to get something figured out.

Finhead, Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it. I just have no idea what I need to do with that code. The muve1 firmware doesnt work with my machine, nothing moves. Like I said, I am really bad with software and really have no idea where to even start. Also, I really dont have the time to learn it right now.

So Im hoping you could help me with my firmware? Id like to do exactly as you described. Can I send you my firmware for you to add the peel move to it?

spid

Postby spid » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:12 pm

JeffS wrote:A quick note on a possible minor bug in the latest Raise Touch firmware 0.9.2.1026. I recently upgraded to the Bondtech dual drive and needed to update to latest Raise Touch firmware in order to adjust E-steps per unit. This worked fine but I also tried PID autotune. The left nozzle worked correctly, but right nozzle would not update nozzle temp during autotune cycles. It seemed to complete the process OK, but nozzle temp was static during the entire process and stayed at initial starting temp. It was only after the process completed that the right nozzle temp started reading correctly again in real time. See photos.

IMG_7258.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG

Did you really have to set e step to 415? or only at gcode?

firesped

Postby firesped » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:24 am

to note, there are not independent PID settings for each nozzles. the Bed has one PID settings, and the heaters have one PID setting.
printers:

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:34 pm

firesped wrote:to note, there are not independent PID settings for each nozzles. the Bed has one PID settings, and the heaters have one PID setting.

This confuses me.

You can run PID autotune for right or for left nozzle.
The PID-values you get after the procedure are different.
I also noted you get different PID-values depending on the target temperature you set.
Some results I got:

Target-Temp.: 205°C
Left Right
P 26.27 43.85
I 2.07 5.51
D 83.29 87.30

Target-Temp.: 240°C
Left Right
P 28.1 44.02
I 2.24 5.66
D 88.01 85.64

Target-Temp.: 260°C
Left Right
P 31.08 43.51
I 2.73 5.27
D 88.51 89.82

So:
- the values from the left and the right nozzle PID-autotune differ quite a bit
-> if only one set is being used, why is there an option to run autotune for each of them?
-> if the values differ as much between left and right as they do, how should this method (using the same parameters for both sides)
give a good result?
- the PID-values seem to differ quite a bit depending on the target temperature
-> does that mean I have to run PID-autotune every time I intend to use a different temperature?

Since I do not know the procedure/algorithm used here, I can only guess the impact of the differences...
But there should be some impact;-)

Return to “Software”