Infill not consistent with TPU on a Prusa

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
raid

Infill not consistent with TPU on a Prusa

Postby raid » Wed May 17, 2017 10:43 am

Hi Guys,

I've played for a week with Idea Maker and i found it's one of the best slicing tools released, the support structures are amazing, but I've discovered some issues with the grid infill while printing TPU (Hobbyking flexible Filament or sainsmart)

With the same setting I have in Slic3r, IdeaMaker simply fail to infill the grid. If I slow down to 25mm/s the results are better but the piece is really soft, not as strong as the piece sliced with Slic3r.

So I've done some tests and I found that the main difference is how the infill is done by Idea Maker.

I've compared the grid infill between the two, because Idea does not have any other infill type (I always use honeycomb in Slic3r).

The main difference is that while Slic3r infill every layer with a grid, Idea Maker infill is done one layer in one direction and the other at 90° to make a grid, this makes the infill really soft and also, at 40mm/sec the infill is pretty destroyed at each passage.

Hope you can fix this making other infill type or fixing the grid, because I really like this piece of software.

Hope that helps.

BR,
Alessio.

walshlg

Re: Infill not consistent with TPU on a Prusa

Postby walshlg » Wed May 17, 2017 12:10 pm

40 mm/sec is way too fast for tpu on this big printer. Personally, I prefer the alternate layer grid with tpu as it makes the soft part more squishable. Otherwise, why would you use soft material?

raid

Postby raid » Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm

I print drone parts and the TPU is widely used, for some of them you need the tpu strenght in terms of an unbreakable material, but you still need some kind of stiffness, for example a support for the HD Camera should be unbreakable, but way too soft is not good as you can imagine.

Anyway, printing with slic3r at 40mm/sec is simply perfect, why should not be the same with Idea Maker? The external perimeter are set in slic3r at 20mm/s all the other features at 40mm/sec and the top and bottom at 80% (32mm/s).

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Wed May 17, 2017 1:41 pm

With Filament.ca TPU brand, I print with 250°C nozzle temperature. It is more stiff.
I saw a "difference of Duro" between 230-250°C.

raid

Postby raid » Wed May 17, 2017 3:37 pm

The problem is not the temperature. As I said, with the same parameters, Slic3r prints like a dream. I'm using the Hobbyking flexible filament, 210° nozzle temp and 40° bed temp...
I don't want to start a flame, because I really like Idea Maker, but this issue makes it unusable for my usage at the moment.
So this post should be taken as a "suggestion" to improve the software.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu May 18, 2017 4:35 pm

interesting, Vickie may have a better idea on how to improve this

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon May 22, 2017 3:44 am

If the problem is due to infill pattern, we'd love to develop more patterns for infill in ideaMaker.

raid

Postby raid » Tue May 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks for the reply Vicky, yeah I think it's the infill pattern the main problem. To have best results with flexy filaments you should consider adding a full infill, not even and odd infill lines at 90º each other (as the actual grid infill) probably a full grid for each layer or a customizable pattern would be great!
Consider also the possibility to add an honeycomb infill, that is really really good.
Hope that helps.

BR,
Alessio.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 24, 2017 3:12 am

Notes taken. Thanks for your suggestion. We will take it into consideration.

feynman67

Postby feynman67 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:48 pm

[quote="raid"]Hi Guys,

I've played for a week with Idea Maker and i found it's one of the best slicing tools released, the support structures are amazing, but I've discovered some issues with the grid infill while printing TPU (Hobbyking flexible Filament or sainsmart)

With the same setting I have in Slic3r, IdeaMaker simply fail to infill the grid. If I slow down to 25mm/s the results are better but the piece is really soft, not as strong as the piece sliced with Slic3r.

So I've done some tests and I found that the main difference is how the infill is done by Idea Maker.

I've compared the grid infill between the two, because Idea does not have any other infill type (I always use honeycomb in Slic3r).

dear alessio,
i tried to get slic3r running for quiet a while now ...not working .
i can not see the layers in ideamaker (when opening the gcode) nor in the printer (i use a raise n2) after uploading .
i really tried with slic3r because i found this dynamic layer combination very usefull for large parts (i got 32 to 40 hour printing )
also the ability to use very nice infill pattern like honeycomb as you mentioned .
might be that you got any ideas ?
ideamaker works best for most of my parts , great tool , accurate printing results with different kinds of pla as far as i can tell.

best regs Oliver

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 25, 2017 7:06 am

Slic3r doesn't have marks for layers.
If you want to check layers in ideaMaker, you need to add layer code into it.
1.png
2.png
2.png (2.3 KiB) Viewed 231 times

This will help it layer the model. But the extrusion width may still look a little abnormal.

Return to “Printing Software”