IdeaMaker: contents of the data file?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
RA1981

IdeaMaker: contents of the data file?

Postby RA1981 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:04 am

Hi,

does anyone know what the contents of the data file are? From what I've figured out yet at least a picture of the print is included to show the status on the touchscreen. The picture will fill up as the print process proceeds.

So, if the G-code file is from a different software, someone can get the picture by slicing the models with IdeaMaker and the replace the G-code file. I want to know if the slice process done by IM must have the same layer height, etc as in the 3rd party software to show the process correctly.

Reason why I ask: if the settings for height, etc are indepedant, I could make a 'generic' picture data file, so I don't have always to slice in IM prior to generating the G-code file.

Regards

Jetguy

Re: IdeaMaker: contents of the data file?

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Sorry I'm not following your suggestion or workflow.
The printer prints gcode - period. as long as that gcode is reasonable and correct for the printer, it doesn't matter what slicer it came from.
The data file produced along side the gcode is only produced by ideamaker and is OPTIONAL meaning, all it does is display the preview on the LCD screen. Also, the percentage complete line on the screen that shades in the object as it prints- that's not exactly a layer by layer detail, it's just percentage wiping over the image.

As such, you absolutely can print gcode from any slicer, either transfer it to the printer via SCP protocol, using the Ideamaker Upload, or sneakernet over to the printer on a USB or SD card.

Further, I don't get what you are saying. If you slice the same file with ideamaker, yet, you might get a similar data image file and maybe, maybe not the preview works. Not worth the time or effort in my book, and the confusion of placing gcode X created by alternate slicer, with then slicing the same STL in ideamaker just to make a preview data file- the chance of printing the wrong gcode is high.

Now if you are asking can Raise 3D "open source" the data file so that 3rd party slicers can also create them- yes, I support that idea fully.
However, I grew greatly concerned when reading what you said "Reason why I ask: if the settings for height, etc are indepedant, I could make a 'generic' picture data file, so I don't have always to slice in IM prior to generating the G-code file."
That tells me you don't understand gcode in the slightest. Not trying to make fun of you, just pointing out a major gap in your knowledge base.

Gcode is everything.
The printer ONLY does what it's told.
Gcode is the language by which a command (M or G + Number) = command
That is followed by a common syntax of value (often distance in mm or other setting), Axis applied to (so 50X is 50mm in X)
Also knowing that gcode is the syntax that the line you are reading is the target end point. Where you are now is the previous line of gcode target position or "state". Once you get that, this is just a game of Simon says.
Last edited by Jetguy on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RA1981

Postby RA1981 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi Jetguy,

That tells me you don't understand gcode in the slightest. Not trying to make fun of you, just pointing out a major gap in your knowledge base.

Full ack. I never claimed to know anything about gcode =)
That's why I asked about the data file and if it's in ANY way related to the slicer settings or if it's simply an independant preview picture.

Not work the time or effort in my book, and the confusion of placing gcode X created by alternate slicer, with then slicing the same STL in ideamaker just to make a preview data file- the chance of printing the wrong gcode is high.

Yes, I agree - that's why I want to know the above. Because then I never had to generate gcode twice, I simply can take a generic data file with a default image, I just have to rename the data file.

Regarding the gcode knowledge, that's something I have on my to-learn list, because I want to know the commands and what they do.

Regards

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 am

If the file name of the gcode and data files, the image will appear when printing.
If you are using S3D, the height and progress will be almost the same as the one ideaMaker sliced.
If you are using other slicer, the progress will be wrong at the beginning, but be more and more closer in the end. The height and layers display may not be correct.

ZenJediMaster

Postby ZenJediMaster » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:19 pm

2nd the open sourcing of the .data file format, though optional, it's a user friendly visual aide. It also is easier to recall the items I have on th e local storage with the associated image.

Return to “Software”