Support material as elevated raft

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
firesped

Support material as elevated raft

Postby firesped » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:28 pm

I've been printing out some star trek ships. since I need higher quality on both sides of the saucer section of the ship. I have slip it into 2 parts. But I have made a slight keyed peg in them so they line up.

I increased my dense support to 85% infill to match the raft settings and I have gotten good results with the inside hole part.

The issue I seem to be having is with the parts with the peg that has the edge on the outside. I am trying to figure out how to get the support material to print beyond the outer edge of the model so that it functions more like a raft.

I can see 2 ways it can be done right now.
option A) get raise3d to add this into ideamaker.
option B) use the dual extruder to print out a non existence part at the edge to try and get the support material to behave how I want it.
I make a part that fits exact around the part I do want.
set that part to right extruder
do not load filament into right extruder
support material will be designed to support the larger edge size to give the effect I desire
(if this works)

using option B the slicer seems to do what I want it to do, now to print it out and see if it works.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

firesped

Re: Support material as elevated raft

Postby firesped » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:37 pm

first time I have tried dual extrusion on this firmware and that is one funky bug. the Y was offset and then the X was offset when it went back to print that.
printers:

tja

Postby tja » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:20 pm

Have you tried manually placing supports? If you make them large, say 7 or 8 mm, you can position each one halfway under the edge you are supporting.

I have just started to do some dual extruder printing as well. I noticed that when I bring the STL files into ideamaker, they are not aligned as they are in my CAD model. There is an align button, see this topic... http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=673&p=6319&hilit=dual+extruder#p6319

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:01 pm

I ended up generating the file for dual extrution then converting it back to single by manually stripping out the g-code for the second extruder. I need to re-setup my printer for printng.

I'm running a custom firmware based on the marlin RC. I had not played with dual extrution so I am going to have to figure out what is going on and figure out why the printer is getting lost on tool change.
printers:

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:59 am

1.png

Is this option the same as your option A?

Return to “Printing Software”