What exactly does "sparse connection" do? (Answered & it's probably opposite of what you think!)

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
2CNK

What exactly does "sparse connection" do? (Answered & it's probably opposite of what you think!)

Postby 2CNK » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 pm

What exactly does the "Sparse Connection" checkbox do? How exactly does it affect support material?

I cannot tell from examining the previews of prints. I used to think it meant that the connection between the model and the support was weaker somehow but if it is I cannot tell.

I am trying to dial in the best support settings for a new filament, and it would help if I knew what exactly this setting does.

Can anyone fill me in? Thanks!
Last edited by 2CNK on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

caxton3d

Re: What exactly does "sparse connection" do?

Postby caxton3d » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:32 pm

I have tried printing with this box both checked and unchecked and couldn't notice any difference, so I would love to know too!

The major influence on the support is the 'line or grid' selection. With grid selected, the honeycomb type support is bonded well to raft and remains in place under adverse conditions.
Pattern making for the restoration of vintage Dennis Fire Engines

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:06 pm

The Sparse Connection is close the retraction between supports which add a little combined force between supports.

2CNK

Postby 2CNK » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Thank you for the reply Vicky, but I am left with more questions and don't fully understand.

Are you saying Sparse Connection reduces retractions on support material? And this increases the material deposited by a small amount, and the purpose is to increase the bonding and strength a small amount without actually modifying the supports.

I always thought that Sparse Connection reduced the connection between support and model or somehow made it weaker. It sounds like you are saying it does the opposite -- that it is intended for use when the connection between support and model is sparse, because it increases it a little without actually changing the support structure.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:11 am

Nope, it doesn't reduce the connection but add more connection due to the strings of ooze which can be avoided by retraction, but with sparse connection, there has no retraction.

checktest

Postby checktest » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:24 pm

Thanks Vicky for the explanation, I was also wondering what Sparse Connection did. However, that is a strange name as I imagine most people (myself included) would assume that was referring to the connection between the support material and the model.

Can I suggest it either be renamed to something that is more descriptive (like "No retraction for support material"), or that descriptions of features are added as hovering tool tips when the mouse is placed over an item?

2CNK

Postby 2CNK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:48 pm

OK! So "Sparse Connection" works the opposite of what I always thought. It is an option that can be turned on when the connection of supports to the model is sparse; it will increase the connection somewhat without actually modifying the support structure.

Important thing to learn, thank you Vicky!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:45 am

checktest wrote:Thanks Vicky for the explanation, I was also wondering what Sparse Connection did. However, that is a strange name as I imagine most people (myself included) would assume that was referring to the connection between the support material and the model.

Can I suggest it either be renamed to something that is more descriptive (like "No retraction for support material"), or that descriptions of features are added as hovering tool tips when the mouse is placed over an item?

Well noted. Will back to software department.

Amos

Re: What exactly does "sparse connection" do? (Answered & it's probably opposite of what you think!)

Postby Amos » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Vicky,
Are you sure it does as you state?

That seems contrary to the manual:
Sparse Connection refers to enabling the loose connection with print and support.

Thanks,

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: What exactly does "sparse connection" do? (Answered & it's probably opposite of what you think!)

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:34 am

Sparse Connection is turning off the retraction between support structures and leave ooze strings between support structures.

Without Sparse Connection enabled, there may have some random solid lines between support sheets.
5.png

With Sparse Connection enables, all the solid lines between support sheets will be removed. But will turn off the retraction between supports. So that there will leave ooze strings between supports for keeping connection between supports.
6.png

soswow

Postby soswow » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:15 pm

I can't understand. There is a bug.
Here are two screenshots with and without this checkbox. I am looking at retraction crosses.
As I see - in both cases I see the retraction from support to support. What am I missing?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 10.10.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 10.11.13 PM.png

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:03 am

Which type support type did you choose for these two slice? Normal type or pillar type or manual support?

Hazell

Postby Hazell » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:27 am

It looks like pillar type to me.

Return to “Software”