skirt around grouped objects?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
LuLu 3D

skirt around grouped objects?

Postby LuLu 3D » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 am

Hello,

Is there a way to have only 1 skirt going around a group of objects on my plate, and not around every object?
Cause when multiple objects are placed on the bed and 1 of the individual skirts makes blobs (or imperfect adhesion etc) it often ruins or put at danger the rest! Having only 1 big skirt going around would be so much more convenient to interfere without the whole project failing.

I tried merging the objects, but that doesn't seems to do the trick? Is it possible or is this a feature request?

Thanks,

LuLu

Timber Haint

Re: skirt around grouped objects?

Postby Timber Haint » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Good question.

This really doesn't answer your post, BUT I tend to refrain from printing multiple parts. If you have a power outage, one of the parts come off the bed, or any number of reasons you need to cancel a print you essential ruin the rest of the parts losing all the time and material for said parts.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:04 pm

There is no setting for Skirt in ideaMaker. The only way is if you put your models very close to each other, ideaMaker will generate a whole skirt for all the models.

tja

Postby tja » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Vicky is right, I do this all the time. Just position the parts less than 2X the 'Skirt Offset Distance' apart, which I think is 3mm by default. But then I thought about it and an easier way is to just increase the S.O.D. to say 10mm and then you won't have to be so fussy with part placement. In case you haven't come across it, that setting is in the slicing template under Advanced / Platform Additions / Skirt and Brim. Of course, check the preview after you have sliced it to see if you are getting the desired effect.

I tend to refrain from printing multiple parts. If you have a power outage, one of the parts come off the bed, or any number of reasons you need to cancel a print you essential ruin the rest of the parts losing all the time and material for said parts.

In my experience, the probability of a print run failure increases exponentially with the number of parts being printed. This failure mode can of course be resolved by sequentially printing each part. A feature that some slicers have, but not ideaMaker sadly.

Vicky, is this on the development list?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:59 am

Yes, we have put sequential print into developing list for a while and a lot tests need to carry out.

LuLu 3D

Postby LuLu 3D » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:There is no setting for Skirt in ideaMaker. The only way is if you put your models very close to each other, ideaMaker will generate a whole skirt for all the models.

OK, thank you Vicky, I'll try this out ;-)

Return to “Software”