Ragged top surface

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
talon38c

Ragged top surface

Postby talon38c » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:41 pm

When I generate a slice on this part I see what appears to be solid fill with inner shell protruding through it. This creates a ragged saw tooth finish. I would like this surface to be relatively smooth. This top surface is a contoured surface. Is there something I can do to accomplish that?
cap_catia.JPG
cap_slice.JPG

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Ragged top surface

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:19 am

It seems the top surface and the bottom surface are not parallel to each other.
No matter you choose top or bottom surface as the top surface, it will have the similar issue on the one is not parallel to build surface.

talon38c

Postby talon38c » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 am

The bottom surface is flat so that it rests square to a bushing that it drops into. The top surface is contoured surface that matches the curvature of an adjacent surface. The top surface of the model was smoothed but there is no way to smooth the upper surface of the print like the model?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pm

The FFF printing is divided a 3D model into multiple layers by layer height you defined in Z direction. So as I explained above, until the top surface of your model is parallel build plate, or after it being sliced into layers, each layer will end up at some height of your contoured surface.

Return to “Software”