Alternative Slicing Engines?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
RonniCox1

Alternative Slicing Engines?

Postby RonniCox1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:44 pm

I've got the Raise3D Pro2 at work and we've been using Ideamaker 3.1.7, and I definitely don't want to stop using Ideamaker but I'm curious about what alternative slicing engines people have gotten to work with their printers?

I just tried out Cura (on the N2 profile) and the print wouldn't start (I think it's something about how the Gcode primes the extruder - I'll work on it). I've also been thinking about downloading S3D and Meshmixer - I'm especially interested in trying out tree supports, which Ideamaker doesn't have yet. Anyone want to share their experiences?

Shelton

Re: Alternative Slicing Engines?

Postby Shelton » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:26 am

Simplify3D. Try it. I'm not using Idea Maker right now.

FirstTimeRound

Postby FirstTimeRound » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:39 pm

RonniCox1 wrote:Anyone want to share their experiences?

I have been down this road too, IdeaMaker is good and it would be my slicer of choice if they would fix the excessive Retraction and needless Travel Moves, issues.

It spends an excessive time with dozens of Retractions and Travel Moves on each layer. However, having said that, so does Slic3r and Slic3r-PE. I have found that Cura is better in this aspect but it is abysmal at the file handling in Linux installations. Probably OK in windows, but I will never know. :D

As for Simplify3D, bring your check book with you, at a silly price given the almost perfect IdeaMaker for free.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:44 pm

I chose opposite direction. Simplify3D is cleaner and easier to use with some features like layer and sequence printing.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Cura.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Doesn't work with Pro.

FirstTimeRound

Postby FirstTimeRound » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 pm

Shelton wrote:I chose opposite direction. Simplify3D is cleaner and easier to use with some features like layer and sequence printing.

Hmmm, been a while since you looked at Slic3r, Slic3r-PE and Cura then? They all do that and more. Plus IdeaMaker allows creating and deleting individual supports which S3D has yet address. Just trying to keep it fair. :)

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:45 pm

You can also delete or add supports with S3D. Without any issue... or set it from the support tab. Cura doesn't work with PRO. I don't like window mess with Idea Maker. All function mixed together. With S3D is a lot easier. I used Idea Maker first, but now I don't want to back. I can buy other printer and use with S3D also.

Return to “Software”