IdeaMaker will not load any files whatsoever - just hangs.

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
charles@linquist.net

IdeaMaker will not load any files whatsoever - just hangs.

Postby charles@linquist.net » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:22 pm

I have a computer running Windows 10/64 (with all updates). The machine is an i7/4790 with 16GB RAM.
IdeaMaker always ran fine - until recently. I am running IdeaMaker version 2.2.3.360.

When I try to open any file from IdeaMaker whatsoever - either using OPEN IDEA FILE or IMPORT MODEL, the program hangs and I must use Windows Task Manager to close it. Note that IdeaMaker starts and appears to run fine - but will not load ANY files, including the examples. that came with the program.

So I went to the RAISE website and downloaded IdeaMaker version 2.3.500 and installed it. Same problem.
Next, I went to CONTROL PANEL and uninstalled the program, rebooted - and then re-installed IdeaMaker 2.3.500. Same problem.
I used Windows SYSTEM RESTORE and went back to the last restore point. Same problem

Another machine (running the same version of Windows) loads and runs IdeaMaker just fine. But I need THIS machine to run it. What can I do?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: IdeaMaker will not load any files whatsoever - just hangs.

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:51 am

Please check your anti-virus software.
Does it block ideaMaker's permission to read file?

Does the program hang on file choosing window or loading process?
Is the file you choose on save in network storage?

Andrew McPhee

Postby Andrew McPhee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:07 am

Has this been resolved as I seem to have the same issue. It only started today and I have switched off the anti-virus software but to no avail. I am running windows 8.1 and as above it is 64bit with 16GB of Ram and up until yesterday when it needed a restart to make the software work it has been working fine. I have the latest version of ideamaker.
Any ideas?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:02 am

Andrew McPhee wrote:Has this been resolved as I seem to have the same issue. It only started today and I have switched off the anti-virus software but to no avail. I am running windows 8.1 and as above it is 64bit with 16GB of Ram and up until yesterday when it needed a restart to make the software work it has been working fine. I have the latest version of ideamaker.
Any ideas?

Which way are you using to import model? From the Import Model under File in Menu Bar or "+" button in center of the interface?

Andrew McPhee

Postby Andrew McPhee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 pm

No, I dont even get that far, sorry if I mislead you. My issue is just trying to get ideamaker to run, it gets to a blank screen but does not seem to fully load

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Andrew McPhee wrote:No, I dont even get that far, sorry if I mislead you. My issue is just trying to get ideamaker to run, it gets to a blank screen but does not seem to fully load

Nevermind, I saw partially your specs above.
I am running windows 8.1 and as above it is 64bit with 16GB of Ram and up until yesterday when it needed a restart to make the software work it has been working fine.

Still would be curious to understand what graphics card and drivers are being used.

Don't take this as me even implying it's not the fault of a recent version of Ideamaker, I'm just saying, when we see it fail to load with a blank screen, that's pretty much a pointer at the 3D graphics rendering failing. The scenario is, you may have had a patch update, there could be a driver version conflict that loaded overnight, and you just didn't correlate a reboot in the middle of the night. Not saying that's the smoking gun, but all the processor and ram in the world do not matter to this app, but GPU and it's drivers do.

Andrew McPhee

Postby Andrew McPhee » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:15 pm

Mmmmm could be - I did (Foolishly) update the NVidia drivers last week so you might be spot on - I will try to roll it back and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up!!

Andrew McPhee

Postby Andrew McPhee » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Jetguy - you hit the nail on the head - I rolled it back 1 version and it is back working. Thanks - I am very grateful for your help.

Return to “Software”