New Idea Maker

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Shelton

New Idea Maker

Postby Shelton » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:40 am

Ok Idea Maker is good slicer but needs some improvements. I was comparing it to Cura and Utlimaker software performs a lot better. But I still love look and design of IM. Could you add some new features like Cura do?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: New Idea Maker

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Would you like to advise more in detail?

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Better supports, surface control, more options.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:17 pm

And true Sequential printing.

bobstro

Postby bobstro » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Would you like to advise more in detail?

I'm personally very impressed with IM. The quality of slicing is excellent, and having a custom support option on a free slicer is a definite bonus. There are a very few things missing that are keeping me from using it as my primary slicer:

1. Variable/adaptive layer heights. Cura and KISSlicer have the ability to automatically vary layer heights over a print. KISS is particularly impressive, doing separate layer heights per model and allowing control of the amount a layer above must overlap those below, allowing for very nice results even with larger layer heights.
  2. Volumetric speed limiters. Slic3rPE & KISSlicer allow specifying maximum volumetric speeds corresponding to the hotend or filament. This is particularly useful for filled filaments as I can make one setting and not have to adjust speeds throughout my other settings. It will print using my set speeds up to the volumetric rate limit. This makes using new materials very easy. (The ability to view volumetric rates & speeds in preview is a very useful addition to this ability as well.)
  3. Acceleration & jerk control. This can be set to some extent in custom g-code, but ability to have it "baked in" and reflected in estimates would be nice.

I'm not sure how much input from an owner of another manufacturer's device means, but I hope this is useful.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:02 am

bobstro wrote:

I'm personally very impressed with IM. The quality of slicing is excellent, and having a custom support option on a free slicer is a definite bonus. There are a very few things missing that are keeping me from using it as my primary slicer:

1. Variable/adaptive layer heights. Cura and KISSlicer have the ability to automatically vary layer heights over a print. KISS is particularly impressive, doing separate layer heights per model and allowing control of the amount a layer above must overlap those below, allowing for very nice results even with larger layer heights.
  2. Volumetric speed limiters. Slic3rPE & KISSlicer allow specifying maximum volumetric speeds corresponding to the hotend or filament. This is particularly useful for filled filaments as I can make one setting and not have to adjust speeds throughout my other settings. It will print using my set speeds up to the volumetric rate limit. This makes using new materials very easy. (The ability to view volumetric rates & speeds in preview is a very useful addition to this ability as well.)
  3. Acceleration & jerk control. This can be set to some extent in custom g-code, but ability to have it "baked in" and reflected in estimates would be nice.

I'm not sure how much input from an owner of another manufacturer's device means, but I hope this is useful.

1. Variable layer height has already been added into developing list and under develop now.
2. We will add volumetric speed limiters into list.
View speed in preview is already in ideaMaker.
3. Acceleration adn Jerk settings are already in ideaMaker.

bobstro

Postby bobstro » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:04 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
bobstro wrote:

[...] 1. Variable layer height has already been added into developing list and under develop now.
2. We will add volumetric speed limiters into list.

Awesome! Looking forward to checking those out.

View speed in preview is already in ideaMaker.
3. Acceleration adn Jerk settings are already in ideaMaker.
Heh. Tried to edit my post after I realized this, but since it was awaiting moderation, I couldn't. Yes, immediately realized those were already present. Anything that enhances preview mode as a troubleshooting aid is really helpful.

kolandr

Postby kolandr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:14 am

Do you plan to make combined supports, for example, like a Picaso Polygon X?
http://3dtoday.ru/blogs/1617db764a/news ... gon-x-v11/
which significantly reduces PVA and HIPS consumption for models.

bobstro

Postby bobstro » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:19 pm

A couple of other features that would be useful and hopefully not too involved to implement:

• Slic3rPE allows slice-time calculations to be used in g-code. This is handy, for example, for raising the extruder at the end of a print without banging into the top with a line like {if layer_z < max_print_height}G1 Z{z_offset+min(layer_z+60, max_print_height)}{endif} ; Move print head up
  • KISS takes it a step further allowing user-defined gcode variables to be defined on a per-filament basis. So, for example, I can set warmup no-ooze temps for different materials, do bed leveling and other setup, then heat the filament only when ready to print.
  • I haven't seen this in any slicer yet, but the ability to include gcode from other files (e.g. printing a purge line) would simplify maintaining multiple configurations.

With IM's filament-driven capabilities, these could be very powerful. I'm not sure how much demand there is for these capabilities.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:46 pm

So we need some updates and will be fine. Also better economic rafts like in Simplify3D.

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 pm

I really would like more experimental features. Like the fussy skin option. (And I would like to be able to control the amount of surface noise like size, randomness and frequency. Like the adobe camera raw add grain options).

Also missing variable layer height (that’s automatic and gets finer for curved parts).

I would also like to see other infill options. Like gyroid.
And also some kind of smart infill that generates infill only we’re its needed for the above layers. Or infill that’s get more dense beneath layers that need it.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:13 pm

kolandr wrote:Do you plan to make combined supports, for example, like a Picaso Polygon X?
http://3dtoday.ru/blogs/1617db764a/news ... gon-x-v11/
which significantly reduces PVA and HIPS consumption for models.

If I didn't misunderstand, you should can achieve this with settings right nozzle with different filament to print only dense layers.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 pm

bobstro wrote:A couple of other features that would be useful and hopefully not too involved to implement:

• Slic3rPE allows slice-time calculations to be used in g-code. This is handy, for example, for raising the extruder at the end of a print without banging into the top with a line like {if layer_z < max_print_height}G1 Z{z_offset+min(layer_z+60, max_print_height)}{endif} ; Move print head up
  • KISS takes it a step further allowing user-defined gcode variables to be defined on a per-filament basis. So, for example, I can set warmup no-ooze temps for different materials, do bed leveling and other setup, then heat the filament only when ready to print.
  • I haven't seen this in any slicer yet, but the ability to include gcode from other files (e.g. printing a purge line) would simplify maintaining multiple configurations.

With IM's filament-driven capabilities, these could be very powerful. I'm not sure how much demand there is for these capabilities.

I guess you can try {placeholder} or IF sentecnces for Start Gcode, End Gcode and Extruder Switch Gcode, but we don't support arithmetic operations and no user-defined variable.
And not 100% sure whether adding Start Gcode into filament settings will affect settings in slicing profiles or not.

bobstro

Postby bobstro » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
bobstro wrote:A couple of other features that would be useful and hopefully not too involved to implement:
[...] I guess you can try {placeholder} or IF sentecnces for Start Gcode, End Gcode and Extruder Switch Gcode, but we don't support arithmetic operations and no user-defined variable.

Definitely in the "nice-to-have" category, but the capabilities are nice for tuning individual jobs.

And not 100% sure whether adding Start Gcode into filament settings will affect settings in slicing profiles or not.

Ah, I wouldn't expect gcode additions to alter slicing but more for things like embedding filament-specific options like linear advance (M900 Kx) or other material-specific tweaks. That said, you've already got filament-specific overrides. Would adding a bit of tack-on gcode be possible? (This would be really powerful if we could set gcode placeholders to use in gcode as described above.)

I really like the filament-focused approach you've taken in IM. Allowing filament profiles to over-ride default print settings is very nice. Add in filament-specific max volumetric rates and you've set a very high bar for the other slicers out there.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Yes, I agree. Cura has become the Golden Standard. Their software is amazing now.

I really like how they change the temperature of the extruders based on when they will be used next so the filament doesn't keep oozing, and doesn't get cooked in the extruder and nozzle when not in use.
I think this feature should be automatically include on any software for a dual extrusion printer.

They start the cooling of the nozzle a little before it will be put out of use, and start heating the new nozzle that will be put in use a little prior to it being used so it is ready when it's time so there is no down time for heating or cooling of the nozzles. It's a pretty awesome feature.

Return to “Software”