Ideamaker not properly aligning STL files

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
KS_Husker

Ideamaker not properly aligning STL files

Postby KS_Husker » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:29 am

I have these 2 files that are from the same model. I saved them each separately as an STL file and when I insert them each into a fresh model in Catia they come in, in the proper location based on the global axis system they were created in. However, when I insert them into Ideamaker and the select both of them and click 'align' they do not align at all in the software.

Please let me know what is going on and how to fix this.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by KS_Husker on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tja

Re: Ideamaker not properly aligning STL files

Postby tja » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:27 am

Hmmm, that's interesting. I put your stl's into IdeaMaker and I can see your misalignment problem. Putting the same parts into netfabb studio shows that they are aligned by default, but exporting each part as an stl still has them misaligned in IM. When I put these parts into Fusion 360, they are properly aligned, then exporting them as stl's 'magically' solved the alignment problem in IM.

When you open stl files, IM is smart enough to ask the question 'parts are small, possibly in inches, scale to mm's?' I had said yes to this, but when I opened your files without scaling, they aligned perfectly in IM. Applying a 254% scale factor has them aligned and the right size.

Is this a bug in IM? Possibly. But as stl is a basic file standard that doesn't include something as basic as 'units of measure' I suggest you standardise on millimetres going forward.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:14 am

Yes, I agree. I can adjust so my Catia saves the STL files to the proper scale being mm for 3D printing. However, this is definitely a bug in Ideamaker.

Thank you for your testing of this. I appreciate that. I will go back and try to adjust the scale as you have said and try again. That is a good idea. I didn't even think of that as possibly being the problem. Good problem solving!!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Try with Auto-position after importing disabled under Edit -> Preferences -> Files.

tja

Postby tja » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:31 am

Thank you for your testing of this. I appreciate that.

You're welcome

Try with Auto-position after importing disabled under Edit -> Preferences -> Files.

Vicky, just tried it and that works in IM. I didn't know that preference existed. However, a small downside is that now it doesn't automatically position the 'base' item on the platform. Meaning the number of key presses in the workflow is about the same. Could that be a future addition to IM - the ability to import multiple models, keep them aligned and place the 'base' component on the platform?

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:56 am

I didn't know this option existed either.

Ya, this is a great idea tja.

I changed my units to mm last night and tried the same thing again, and they come into IM in separate places of course, then aligning them they do align properly.

So I guess if you guys could fix this bug for us non-metric people, that would be awesome!! Thanks

Return to “Software”