How to compensate material shrink?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Shelton

How to compensate material shrink?

Postby Shelton » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:35 am

How can I compensate for material shrinkage from Idea Maker?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: How to compensate material shrink?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Tune flowrate under Filament Settings first. Then go to Printer Settings, X Y compensation.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:32 pm

Lower flow rate?

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:46 pm

Ok I know something more. This is not easy material, but I try to change my layer height from 0.25 to 0.1. Warping from bottom to top is about 0.25 of mm....

I'm testing on 20mm testing cube...

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:28 am

I want to compensate for material shrinkage also with ABS. Every other software I've used has this as a percentage that you can adjust. Simplify3D has this as well as a hole size calibration.

The only thing I've seen that you can do to adjust for shrinkage with Ideamaker is the flowrate from what I've read and that is a very poor solution for this issue. I can't believe at this point this is still the way we are supposed to adjust for the material shrink rate.

Please tell me I'm wrong and you have an actual way adjust for this shrink rate by a percentage increase or decrease somewhere.

Also, it doesn't make any sense how you guys have the XY compensation in the settings, where it should actually be for this purpose, and called this as well, but it is for adjusting the steps and gear relation with the belt (from what I've read). This is not the right place for that setting, and it is VERY misleading. I've read other people have the same thoughts. Please have them correct this in the software. It is much to far along for these things to still be like this in the software.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:51 pm

KS_Husker wrote:I want to compensate for material shrinkage also with ABS. Every other software I've used has this as a percentage that you can adjust. Simplify3D has this as well as a hole size calibration.

The only thing I've seen that you can do to adjust for shrinkage with Ideamaker is the flowrate from what I've read and that is a very poor solution for this issue. I can't believe at this point this is still the way we are supposed to adjust for the material shrink rate.

Please tell me I'm wrong and you have an actual way adjust for this shrink rate by a percentage increase or decrease somewhere.

Also, it doesn't make any sense how you guys have the XY compensation in the settings, where it should actually be for this purpose, and called this as well, but it is for adjusting the steps and gear relation with the belt (from what I've read). This is not the right place for that setting, and it is VERY misleading. I've read other people have the same thoughts. Please have them correct this in the software. It is much to far along for these things to still be like this in the software.

Do you mean you'd like to see XY compensation being moved from Printer Settings to Filament Settings? Or add compensation for holes or specific features?

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 am

I am saying the Compensation for Holes and exterior sizes should be where the "XY Compensation" currently is. And what is called XY Compensation, would make more sense in the settings from the tab where you adjust for your specific printer parameters. It doesn't make sense where it is, and I would think most people would agree. It seems most people start out assuming it is for adjusting the scaling of holes and overall XY dimensions, not steps or whatever it actually is.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your responses.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:50 pm

As we discussed in the other topic, we have added contours and holes compensations into Advanced Settings for next version of ideaMaker.
For the current XY compensation under Printer Settings, it will be more aimed at the compensation based on printer performance to give an overall compensation in different directions.

Return to “Software”