ideaMaker Duplicate

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
obfuscated

ideaMaker Duplicate

Postby obfuscated » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:13 pm

I've been noticing an odd thign when I use the duplicate function to print multiples. For starters you can only make 5 copies at a time and even though it places them in a grid it always places one them in an odd place.. like you'd expect 2 rows of three but it'll place the last one in a third row by itself no matter how much room is on the printing surface.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: ideaMaker Duplicate

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:58 am

If you choose 4, then normally ideaMaker will put one in a direction. The fifth will be added into a random corner.
1.png
2.png

For this max limit, here are our thoughts:
1. If copy too many data at one time, the interface may stuck.
2. If copy too many models at one time, the print may out of bounds.
3. If copy too many data at one time and want to delete the useless one, it will be too many repeating work to burden the system.

5 is just a balanced value by our thoughts. If you have other thoughts about this limit, please advise.

obfuscated

Postby obfuscated » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:07 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:5 is just a balanced value by our thoughts. If you have other thoughts about this limit, please advise.

I'd be good with ten copies and always into a grid that would fit on the platform.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:34 am

You mean fit the deplicates' center point with the crossing point of the grid on platform in ideaMaker?

obfuscated

Postby obfuscated » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:47 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:You mean fit the deplicates' center point with the crossing point of the grid on platform in ideaMaker?

The red is the original shape being copied

duplicate.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:57 am

1.png
1.png (17.77 KiB) Viewed 665 times

But this one will be here when set to be 4.

obfuscated

Postby obfuscated » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:00 pm

If I had to choose which thing got fixed I 'd pick the addition of a keyboard command for zoom ;-)

Last night I needed to place 24 copies of something and the way it goes about duplicating is tedious. So I just keep duplicating until it filled up the platform and then I deleted the ones I didn't need.

Also I'm used to using the shift key (maya and photoshop) add objects to the selection and either ctrl (maya) or alt (photoshop) to deselect but in ideaMaker it's the opposite. When holding the shift key ideamaker deselects everything the object you click on and ctrl will add the object you click to the selection. I feel like what I'm used to is a fairly common function of keys when it comes to selections but it's not as big of a deal for me as the lack of a keyboard command for zoom. It would also be nice to beable to marque select a bunch of objects instead of having to click each one.

I do like that the center command moves the group of objects together.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:51 am

I think ideaMaker is more like the system operation of Windows. Ctrl to choose several object at one time.

Do you mean Make Center under Move function? It move the models to the center point with one-click.

obfuscated

Postby obfuscated » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:I think ideaMaker is more like the system operation of Windows. Ctrl to choose several object at one time.

No not exactly in a windows folder holding shift adds to the selection or removes from the selection based on there being a list of files. So if there are four files (A B C D) and A is selected and you then hold shift and click on D then all four files are selected. If you then keep holding shift and click on B then C and D are deselected. Holding ctrl also adds to the selection but if you click on an object that is already selected it will deselect it. In ideaMaker shift doesn't appear to do anything. Guess I'm just used to how all the major graphics programs use the shift key and I don't care how windows does it. :D

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:35 am

Thanks for you explanation. Notes taken.
We may improve the multi-selection later.
Or you can Ctrl+a to select all the models. Then Ctrl to diselect.

3d4you

Postby 3d4you » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
For this max limit, here are our thoughts:
1. If copy too many data at one time, the interface may stuck.
2. If copy too many models at one time, the print may out of bounds.
3. If copy too many data at one time and want to delete the useless one, it will be too many repeating work to burden the system.

5 is just a balanced value by our thoughts. If you have other thoughts about this limit, please advise.

1. what Interface should stuck?
2. an intelligent Software could check this and create the max amount possible (see CURA)
3. Bullshit !

The user should decide, how many copies to be made. I had 100 pieces of coins to print recently . It was not fun.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:38 am

3 times duplicate can increase the amount to be 96. And with 96 calibration cubes in ideaMaker, the repose time of my ideaMaker's interface is really slow.
Anyway, we will take your suggestion into consideration.

firesped

Postby firesped » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:56 pm

in windows, shift lets you select multiple items. control lets you add or subtract the current selected item from the selection.

as to placement of duplicates. please consider your print cooling with where your parts are placed. I don't know what your setup is or what type of print cooling air flow you have. But ideally if you are printing in a filament that needs cooling, you want your fan ducts to pass over it while it is printing new stuff.
RL name: Michael Nolen

obfuscated

Postby obfuscated » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:14 pm

firesped wrote:But ideally if you are printing in a filament that needs cooling, you want your fan ducts to pass over it while it is printing new stuff.

You want them to pass over the parts that are cooling or the parts currently being printed? Since the fans are usually mounted to the print head then if you are printing lots of parts it sounds like it would be a good idea to have a large fan blowing over the the whole thing?

3d4you

Postby 3d4you » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:16 pm

I know you allow to duplicate x5 qnd then select all 6 items and duplicate them x5 again. But you do not allow to duplicate x30. Is this reasonable?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:33 am

It is reasonable. Just we thought that if there is no limit, if wrongly press some number like 50, 100, then the operation system will be stuck. Or I have a compromise, set an option in advanced settings or somewhere else, where you can set the limit value you need. And we still keep the default value to be 5. If you think it is too small for your model, you can increase the limit.

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:14 pm

I needed to make 35 duplicates the other day. Took a while when only being able to make 5 each time.

I also would like to be able to place the duplicate objects as tight as possible. Now when duplicating round objects it positions them like they were square. Probably by the bounding box. I would like to be able to have them in a zigzag pattern minimising air between objects.

I would also like to be able to use the standard max mouse/keyboard behaviour to duplicate objects. Like Option-drag to duplicate. Option-shift-drag to duplicate and move in a straight angle.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 am

Noren wrote:I needed to make 35 duplicates the other day. Took a while when only being able to make 5 each time.

I also would like to be able to place the duplicate objects as tight as possible. Now when duplicating round objects it positions them like they were square. Probably by the bounding box. I would like to be able to have them in a zigzag pattern minimising air between objects.

I would also like to be able to use the standard max mouse/keyboard behaviour to duplicate objects. Like Option-drag to duplicate. Option-shift-drag to duplicate and move in a straight angle.

About the shortcut, I didn't fully get your meaning about "duplicate and move in a straight angle". Would you like to explain more?

Noren

Postby Noren » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:51 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:About the shortcut, I didn't fully get your meaning about "duplicate and move in a straight angle". Would you like to explain more?

I will try.

In graphics app like illustrator and indesign.
When option(alt)-dragging an object. You will get a copy. And you are free to move the duplicate in any direction.
But when option(alt)-shift-dragging an object. You will get a duplicate. But the shift-modifier limits the direction you can move the object to 0, 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, 270, 315 degrees. That way you know that the duplicate you have dragged out will perfectly align with the master.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:57 am

I see, that means with this enabled, you can move the duplicated on to where you need.

Return to “Printing Software”