lateral surface to vertical wall boundaries

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
bigrob007

lateral surface to vertical wall boundaries

Postby bigrob007 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:35 pm

i notice on prints where a flat surface butts up against a vertical wall it can be difficult for the printer to get all the way to the edge for many layers. i think this is because it doesn't start making the vertical wall until the first layer the feature is on. i think if there were a way to make top fill layers have boundaries that are inside the part it would make these joints much stronger. it could also possibly save time an material if this means we can use fewer top fill layers. maybe there's an option im missing but i cant seem to find any way to do this in ideamaker. i haven't tried any other slicers either tbh. images attached show top fill layers terminating with no support. if there were a boundary here like if the wall surface started with the bottom "top fill" layer i think the printer would be much more likely to get material all the way into the corner.
Attachments
wall.PNG
no boundry.PNG
wall start.PNG
borderless stack.PNG

DS2017

Re: lateral surface to vertical wall boundaries

Postby DS2017 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm assuming you're using the default Grid for Infill Pattern Type. Try switching to Rectilinear. You can get much denser grids whilst keeping the same infill density (kind of). Tighter infill spacing will let your top fill layers to catch better.

Preview it to see what it does.

bigrob007

Re: lateral surface to vertical wall boundaries

Postby bigrob007 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:02 am

I'll give that a try, thanks.

Return to “Software”