[BUG][IM-3.1.7](Mac) Streak Artefacts on Perimeter

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
anjoschu

[BUG][IM-3.1.7](Mac) Streak Artefacts on Perimeter

Postby anjoschu » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi and thank you very much for this great piece of software,

I am trying to print the Thingiverse design "Secret Butterfly Box" (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2977908), specifically the file SBFB-TOP.stl (not attached due to file size restrictions).

The slicing result (and the print) shows lines at the surface of several layers of the butterfly detail that deviate from its geometry (see attachment "preview.png"). I tried toggling all settings on the "Other" slicing settings tab (such as Thin Walls, etc.), without any apparent effect of this phenomenon.

When examining individual layers, I can see that the offending layers introduce an extra perimeter around the butterfly detail (see attachment "layer181_wrong.png"), while other layers seem to treat the detail as a part of the object as it should be ("layer186_correct.png").

For what it's worth, the slicers Slic3r and Cura don't introduce this artefact (see "cura_preview.png").

Title: Streak Artefacts on Perimeter
Description: The slicing result (and the print) shows lines at the surface of several layers of the butterfly detail that deviate from its geometry (see attachment "preview.png"). I tried toggling all settings on the "Other" slicing settings tab (such as Thin Walls, etc.), without any apparent effect of this phenomenon. When examining individual layers, I can see that the offending layers introduce an extra perimeter around the butterfly detail (see attachment "layer181_wrong.png"), while other layers seem to treat the detail as a part of the object as it should be ("layer186_correct.png"). For what it's worth, the slicers Slic3r and Cura don't introduce this artefact (see "cura_preview.png").
Version: 3.1.7
Language: English
Operation System: MacOS 10.12.6
GPU: Intel Iris 1536 MB
32bit or 64bit: 64bit
Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1600
How to trigger the bug: Open and slice SBFB-TOP.stl in the default orientation. Examine the Butterfly Detail in Preview: A couple of layers create lines distorting the perimeter of the surface.
Expected Result: Undistorted detail (see "cura_preview.png")
Real Result: Distorted detail (see "preview.png", )
Attachment:
SBFB-TOP.stl
preview.png (visible artefacts)
SBFB-TOP.gcode
SBFB-TOP.data
cura_preview.png (what it should look like)
layer181_wrong (what I think causes the artefact -- double perimeters)
layer186_correct (what I think every layer should look like -- only one perimeter)
Attachments
bugreport.zip
(3.82 MiB) Downloaded 5 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: [BUG][IM-3.1.7](Mac) Streak Artefacts on Perimeter

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:48 am

We found that the issue was due to that some faces in that model were too close and caused the issue.
We are currently trying to develop an option to merge such kind of faces to avoid similar issues.
Thanks for your report!

Return to “Software”